Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1429214 times)

Offline Zlou58

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #4275 on: May 30, 2012, 03:43:14 AM »
Stitches yanked today at the two week mark of my bilateral!  Doc told me that I start PT in two weeks in right knee only, left knee is second time around so he is letting left heal a little more. He stated everything was looking good. I am able to walk around now!  Was told to keep quad setting. I got to couch alone today so I was pumped about it!  Ideas on early PT?  Just wondering? 

Lou

Offline KevinD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4276 on: May 30, 2012, 04:42:12 AM »
Hi. It has been a while since I have been on the board. I tore my right patella tendon on Nov. 7, 2011, had my surgery on Nov, 11, 2011. It has been over 6 months since my surgery. I had my 6-month post-op appt a few weeks ago with my surgeon and he gave me a thumbs up on my tendon healing. He said I am now in the hands of my PT to regain my quad strength.

I have full range of motion in my right leg and can walk normal, but still have much discomfort on top edge of patella, where quad tendon attaches, when walking down a slope or stairs. I also have significant pain in the top and sides of my patella whenever I begin a weight bearing squat motion with my right leg (if I were to pinch with my index finger and thumb around the edges of my patella, this is where the pain is located as well as the top edge of the patella). I am able to ride a bike for long distances pain free, but have significant pain anytime I am weight bearing while bending my injured leg (no pain bending my right leg without bearing weight). The pain is never near the patella tendon or bottom edge of patella, it is always on the inside, outside and top edge of the patella. Any ideas? It is very frustrating because this pain limits me from doing most of my PT exercises to strengthen my quad. Is this normal or should I be concerned? This pain prevents me from doing the one-legged step exercises or single leg squats - these are too painful. I can manage single leg wall slides down to 45 degrees or so, but still feel some pain with this exercise. I would love to learn if others recovering from patella tendon surgery have experienced similar pain on top side of patella 6+ months out from surgery. I look forward to any insights that can be offered.

I am very anxious to get out running again, but my PT tells me I am still 5-6 weeks away from running because of the pain I am still experiencing and the weakness that still exists in my right quad.

Best,

KEVIN

Offline steesh

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4277 on: May 31, 2012, 07:38:44 PM »
Thats me almost 9 weeks post op. Met out-patient physio today. Brace off and able to drive after 10 weeks. Freedom. Had ROM measured at 110 which was great. Able to ditch crutches. Quad weak as hell so plenty of exercises to do. A really positive week and definately light at the end of the tunnel.

Steesh :D

Offline Zlou58

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4278 on: May 31, 2012, 09:14:53 PM »
Keep on keeping on steesh, be careful and stay in the moment. Glad things are going great man

Offline Zlou58

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4279 on: May 31, 2012, 09:19:13 PM »
Keep on keeping on steesh, be careful and stay in the moment. Glad things are going great man

Offline steesh

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4280 on: June 01, 2012, 12:47:48 AM »
Cheers Lou,

Can't even think what it would be like doing 2 knees! Hope things go well in your rehab. First month was pretty boring sitting on couch. Netflix, kindle and buying star wars figures on ebay were a godsend for me. Hope things heal quickly for you.
Steesh

Offline Zlou58

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4281 on: June 05, 2012, 09:34:23 PM »
Little update.

Today was big in the fact I am learning to get in and out of bed alone and it's great. It hurts a little, not in the knees or tendon but my arms and such. Got up today and made my own lunch, felt great!!!!!  Little victories right?!  Hope everyone is healing nicely!!!

Lou

Offline tonestone

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #4282 on: June 08, 2012, 05:27:28 PM »
Today marks my 11th Month post op and things are good :) .

I am pretty much back to normal, walking, running and back on the grind with softball I play about  5 to 6 games a week (getting in 3 games on Sundays).  I use the patella brace when I play on both knees and that is more for peace of mind, I also picked up Tommie Copper knee compression sleeves.  I guess anything that makes you feel good works for me even if it’s in your head.

I wrote this last month for my 10th month mark. 
I am happy with my progress, running at full speed (I ask my friends how I look running and the tell me you haven’t lost a step and running looks very smooth – getting  a lot of compliments on my come back/progress - I say progress because I am not done.  (Keep on keeping on!!!).

Well the work I put into PT and the work I put in at the gym are paying off, I just got the call informing me that I made the All-Star team (Most improved player) even after an injury says a lot.   This put a smile on my face, made me think back to when I ruptured my Patella when I said to myself that this is not the way I want to end my softball career.  Well so far so good! (Keep on keeping on!!!)

* I still go to the gym 2 or 3 times a week or on when I am not playing softball, it’s a way of life.

I know some guys have had set backs and I’m sorry to hear this but get back up and dust yourself off and get back on it, put in your time at PT and please give yourself and your knee time to heal.  This injury is not something I would wish on anyone.

To all the new member’s things will get better and it comes with time, as we all know it’s a long road to recovery.  Patience is the key!!!  Listen to your OS, PT and most importantly YOURSELF it’s your knee.  Keeping a positive attitude is the only way to get by this, remember every person is different so don't gauge your progress against others use what they have done to assist you in knowing that you too will get there with time. 

Good luck and take care
06/27/11 Ruptured right Patella Tendon
07/08/11 Surgery
09/15/11 Rom 125°
10/12/11 Current Rom 137°
10/27/11 Current Rom 140°

Offline kylenewell

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4283 on: June 08, 2012, 07:24:42 PM »
Guys, I am about 7 weeks post op, 80 degrees on the passive range of motion machine, 100 degrees from a sitting position.  I am actively walking with my wheel barrow, using the reverse hyper machine, driving and going with no brace.

And, I tore a lot more than just the patellar (shredded in 4).  I tore the medial patellofemoral ligament, the retinaculums (knee capsule) blew out and my IT band.  I plan on having full range within 2 more weeks, strength is very good in my hip abdcution and extension.  Absolutely no pain except when breaking up scar tissue to lay it down the right way.

One of my mentors, Louie Simmons, top strength coach in the world had full ROM in six weeks after this surgery back in the 80's.  Point is, a lot of it is your pain tolerance and what you and your doctor think is appropriate.  My doc and PT are very aggressive and I love it. 

PT said there is no way I will re-injure this leg with what I am doing. 

There are two sides to every coin, get better-Kyle

Offline jinserra

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4284 on: June 09, 2012, 04:03:10 AM »
  Hey, everyone!

My name is Jason and I don't usually post on forums at all, but this one has been very helpful in preparation for RPT surgery I had Tuesday the 5th.  It helped to read about how other people were able to get through the same thing I am going through right now.  Knowing a little bit before hand of what was to come, seemed to make it a little easier after the fact.  I read all 280 something pages on this thread, plus more on other topics also.

My situation seems a little different than other peoples on here, in that I didn't have an accident. I guess I have had a minor tear in my right patellar tendon for years, and it has finally progressed far enough along to hinder me from doing what I enjoy doing in my spare time. Which is mainly Crossfit. Which it sounds like some of you on here are familiar with. Basically a lot of Olympic weight lifting, running, jumping and gymnastic movements all rolled into one. So hopefully I will be able to get back to that in 4-6 months!

So, 3 days post op and doing good as long as the pain meds are taken on time! My first follow up is set for Friday the 15th and we'll see how the doc thinks I'm doing. Hopefully he'll give me something to do like some ROM exercises or something, cause Netflix is getting old real fast!

Good luck to everyone on here, and keep pushing to get better

-Jason!

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 218
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4285 on: June 09, 2012, 09:18:02 AM »
Hi Jason

Welcome to the KneeGuru  thread - whilst you don`t apear to have sustained a 100% rupture of the Patella tendon, you are still in sight of a long rehab procedure.

You have taken the time and trouble to read many of the previous posts on this thread, which is a good starting point, and I have e-mailed you a set of documents, which outlines the rehab procedure.

Read with care - PATIENCE is required, and bear in mind, that you will not be touching active sports for quite some time.

Where do you live?    keep posting - listen to your knee.

Takr care

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline jinserra

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4286 on: June 09, 2012, 12:17:24 PM »
Hi John,

Thanks for the response.  I live near Seattle, Washington. Also, thanks for the documents, I'll look at them as soon as I can.

-Jason

Offline Zlou58

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4287 on: June 09, 2012, 04:53:22 PM »
John, do you have anything on double rupture?  I'd love to read up on it!!!!!!

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 218
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4288 on: June 09, 2012, 05:36:25 PM »
Interesting question - I would guess, that in the last nine years, there has been to my knowledge only four persons with a double rupture i.e. - you are unique in a sense.

I will see my OS on Wednesday, and ask him if there is any written stuff on a double rupture.

Take care   

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Goat456

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4289 on: June 10, 2012, 07:19:54 AM »
Jinserra,
  who's your surgeon? I live fairly close to seattle, WA too on the northern side.

I found out a few days ago that the lady who did my surgery was a rocket scientist before she decided to become a surgeon specializing in knees. I'm not sure whether I trust her more or if I should be concerned... either way, I'm 9 weeks post op and have been in physical therapy for nearly 3 weeks so far. I finally made my mind up and ditched the crutches despite my 3 months non-weight bearing guideline. its working out pretty well for me since I seem to be gaining my quad strangth back and almost looking like normal while walking. In my spare time I have found that I really resent myself for getting injured. Only my upper body has any real strength. I've been benching, curling, pressing, etc. 20% more than normal while my lower half just feels jello-ee. I was supposed to climb Mt. Adams, Rainier, Baker, Olympus, and Glacier Peak this summer as well as backpack the washington coastline. guess I'll have to settle for rafting. My real issue is when I'll get to begin my heavy regime of running and conditioning again so I can get in shape for next spring's Greco/Freestyle seasons. Inactivity is becoming the death of me. I'm ready to just jump up and down and slaughter some people out on the mat but my body can't and it's a real inconvinience. without activities, my ADHD takes over and my wildness peaks through and now I don't even think my paragraph really makes too much sense. Ugh, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MYSELF.