Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1250930 times)

Offline tonestone

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 14
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #3960 on: December 20, 2011, 04:38:33 AM »
Gutted when replying to a post select the additional options on the lower left that will open up more settings. Next the the attach is the choose file button select that and you are good to go, note if you select the preview you will have to re-attach the file (there's also a size limitation).
06/27/11 Ruptured right Patella Tendon
07/08/11 Surgery
09/15/11 Rom 125°
10/12/11 Current Rom 137°
10/27/11 Current Rom 140°

Offline Tehtoo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 12
Ruptured Patellar Tendon 6 week Post Op Follow Up Appointment
« Reply #3961 on: December 20, 2011, 06:42:28 AM »
Greetings from sunny Arizona,

Well, I had my 6 week follow up today.

Happy to report my OS feels I am at the 3 month mark in terms of functionality and ROM.

He drove home the point of understanding the knee is still vulnerable to 8.5 to 12 weeks. The healing process takes that long whether your ahead of the game or not. At 12 weeks the soft tissue and tendon are both completely healed. So, even though I traded in my after-surgery hinged brace for a neoprene hinged brace (less slipping, smaller, and no restriction on range of motion), can sleep without the brace, do PT without the brace, and ordered the next round of PT to be more progressive, the knee could be re-injured if I slip on a toy at home or the dogs bump into me the wrong way (or think I can do more than the knee will allow).

When the OS manipulated my kneecap he was very pleased as to the range of motion. He remarked the key to recovery from this injury is the kneecap being capable of a wide range of manipulation. To that point my physical therapist spends a lot of time doing cross frictional massage on my scar. I guess the scar tissue can attach to the tendon and kneecap and reduce the rom significantly. After a few sessions I started doing it myself and slowly moved the kneecap a bit.

I am excited that I can flutter kick doing freestyle swimming. Yes! I can also increase the resistance setting on the stationary cycle.

The neoprene brace was a nice surprise. My ROM is measured by the Phys Therapist by lying on my back and sliding my heal towards my body. It measured around 130 degrees. My healthy knee ROM is 140. 

All in all it was a very good prognosis. I have another appointment in 4 weeks. Hopefully the improvements keep coming.

I have read some posts recently with some rough experiences. I feel very lucky to be where I am at this stage of the game. My OS told me about a patient who was doing well, took his brace off to perform PT exercises at the PT location, backed into a set of dbells, tripped and re-injured the knee. Yikes. Caution is the word of the month!

Stay Strong Hard Chargers! Tehtoo

Tehtoo 

Offline Dgotti

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3962 on: December 20, 2011, 05:11:39 PM »
Once again Tehtoo.....Beast Mode, good stuff
i dont go back to see my OS for another 6wks which will put me of course at the 3month marker,im hoping to trade in the cadillac of braces for something more slee at the end of the month,lol..... im excited to begin therapy stuff again and get the ROM moving along and the knee more functional, needless to say when he opend the brace to 90, i felt like the scarecrow in the wizard of oz...lol but my therapist was pleased that i now can have a greater variety of exercises to do and progress to some strength work,....i definitely agree with you on the word of the month thing, at times i wish i was back home in new orleans where winter is spring..lol but here in chicago ice is def not my friend or snow esp while rehabbing from this minor setback... Well, Here's to another another successful month of Rehab and regaining normality in Life and starting the new year right on the Bad foot :)

Offline Zlou58

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3963 on: December 20, 2011, 10:50:01 PM »
Alright people I thought I was farther than I was hahaha. I am 12 days post op and bored out of my mind I tell ya. I get stitches out Thursday!!!  That works as progress right?  My problem is I SMELL!!!!  What did y'all do before you could take a shower. I tried a seat in the tub but I'm not fitting. I was up at the sink every day.  Is that I'll gonna get for while!?  HELP!!!!

Offline Gutted

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3964 on: December 20, 2011, 11:35:17 PM »
Lou,

I did have to laugh at your post, not in a bad way though! I remember wondering how the hell I was going to shower. I did what you did and went to the sink initially and used a flannel to soap myself down, washing as best as I could. When I first started showering it was quite a process! having to take the leg brace off, which I never did, trying to get in to the shower for was painful because I couldn't bend the leg and it was in a bath! Finally getting out was difficult too because of the slip hazard!

If I could give you some advice about this it would be to have it all planned out before you try it. Even having you towel in an easy to reach place may reduce the chance of slipping!

I hope some of this helps you.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 01:01:09 AM by Gutted »
Complete (aside from a few strands) Ruptured Patella Tendon, disrupted and torn retinaculum medial: 6 Dec 10

Surgery with wire loop inserted: 16 Dec 10
Put in a cast for 7 days, then a velcro brace.
Wire snapped after 2 months post op whilst doing physio.
Wire removed 3 months post op.

Offline Tehtoo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3965 on: December 21, 2011, 09:30:30 PM »
ZLou,

I took a crutch in the shower with me. My wife helped steady me the first couple showers. I was told not to shower until 48 hours after the surgery. When showering I was instructed to put band aids on the incision. It is important to cover it because of post infection. I took the band aids off at the end of the shower and used a small amount of soap across the incision site. Rinse, but do not put the water directly on the site but above it and let it run down onto the area washing the soap away. Immediately pat carefully with towel. Consider water shoes that have grips on the soles.

There is no easy way to shower. Take it slow and have a plan. I went to the gym about 5 days after surgery and used the handicap shower that had a detachable water head so I didn't have to move. The brace was the first thing I put on after I dried the leg. Good luck!

Dgotti,

Sounds like you are progressing nicely! Congrats! PT is completely different now that I have the go ahead to shed the brace during sessions. Today was the first session after the 6 week follow up. In the beginning of the session I was very unsure of the knee in terms of strength. The step ups were done slowly and I was encouraged to hold onto the ledge to steady from time to time. Towards the middle of the sets I was surprised to feel more steadiness and strength. As I moved thru the exercises I could feel the tendon being activated. No pain. Many of the exercises I can do in between the sessions. Once I have gone thru a new exercise via PT I am encouraged to do them on my days I don't have PT. I am told 3 days a week produces results but 6 days produces mastery of the movement. If my knee didn't feel right the next day I was told to reduce time or eliminate the movement. Bring the movement back to PT and he will look at my execution. I have not had to do that to date.

Heel slides while watching the football game or putting a rolled up hand towel under the knee and pushing down into the towel while waiting for dinner are very easy and provide a huge benefit.

These ideas are not mine... I am merely repeating what my PT and OS tell me to do. They also tell me the "why". I trust them completely. I am slowly learning to put more faith in my knee. OS noted 8.5 to 12 weeks for complete healing of it. Currently at week 7 I am still in healing mode in my head. So any gains in strength and stability are a plus. Even though my knee is currently rated on par with 12 week goals I haven't really tested it .... and will not for some time.

Does anyone have information on supplements to take (besides HGH and IGF-1) to facilitate healing and keeping the tendon (although it's called a ligament too) strong? I heard there are some yoga poses that are specific to strengthening the knee. I also learned of a "slant board" that has specific exercises that strengthen the knee. Any thoughts?

Tehtoo

Offline Zlou58

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3966 on: December 22, 2011, 12:50:11 AM »
Thanks for the info brother. Right now I'm at the sink working it out that way still a bit shy of my movements at
13 days. Tomorrow will be my two week follow up.  Stitches come out!  I wonder what else but I'm thinking I ask him questions and I go home and go back in two weeks haha but we will see. This forum is GREAT. good people with great thoughts on things. Anyone remember there two weeks post op. I feel better than i did a week ago ....everyone keep healing

Lou

Offline Gutted

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3967 on: December 22, 2011, 12:52:28 AM »
Hey Tehtoo,

I asked my rehab instructor and physio about supplements and they both turned their noses up at me, as if to say don't bother. The only things I have taken are whey protein after strength sessions to help feed and allow the leg muscles to recover faster. I also took creatin. I was using creatin to help with upper body work that I am also doing, but I guess it is also good for my leg muscles too.

I think John42 has more info on use of supplements, but I think the general rule is be very careful as some drugs can actually weaken the tendon.

In terms of exercises, I would stick with what you have been shown by the PT for the time being and then when you get more strength and confidence back then you can start 'freestyling' in terms of different exercises. As you have said, your tendon is probably still in the healing phase.

Keep at it, sounds like you are doing really well. Hope this helps.
Complete (aside from a few strands) Ruptured Patella Tendon, disrupted and torn retinaculum medial: 6 Dec 10

Offline Gutted

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3968 on: December 22, 2011, 12:55:19 AM »
Hello Lou,

When I got my metal clips out it felt so good. It was my first real goal on this long road to recovery. Having them out kind of said to me that I am healing! Small achievements, but they mean a lot!

Keep on going, you're on the road and healing!

Offline Zlou58

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3969 on: December 22, 2011, 03:26:50 AM »
What up Gutted

I am feeling the same way. This is a victory for me just to get these out!!!  Pumped and nervous!!!!  I'll give update tomorrow after doc!!!!  Feels great to post where people have been through same thing.

Offline Tehtoo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3970 on: December 22, 2011, 05:02:38 PM »
Thanks for the post Gutted.

I am surprised there isn't a definitive supplement, or treatment, to facilitate healing/growth.

I will continue to research. It is very interesting to me. I read recently that after the healing time frame is complete super (deep) warming the area floods it with blood speeding up the healing process.

Have a good one, Tehtoo

Offline tonestone

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #3971 on: December 22, 2011, 08:41:59 PM »
Hello all posting a follow up on my progress...

I  am two weeks shy of six months post op and I have been to the local gym 3 times a week since my OS told me I no longer I have to rehab in the PT office (He told me I was cleared for sports but to work my way into it).  My typical sessions at the gym are about two hours in time and consist of leg curls (light weights), leg press, leg slides, treadmill, elliptical machine, lots of upper body work and swimming (running in water, running forwards, backwards and sideways).    I thought it was time to give the knee a good try ;D,  note I have been putting this off running for a couple of weeks because of the FEAR ???…  Well yesterday 12/21/11 I did what I wanted to do for a long time, I RAN and I RAN like I did before my RPT ;D.  I use a Patella brace just because my doctor told me it would be a good idea to use.   A little history - I have been playing baseball/softball for the last 38 years and this is the first time that I am working this hard to get in shape.  This injury for all its bad is turning out to be a good thing so far and I say so far because I have a long way to go.  I put so much time with the proper weights to make my knee and body so much stronger and I can say I am happy with what I have accomplished to date and look forward to next spring when I can get out and play ball again.

To all fellow suffers good luck and to the newbies keep your head up this injury sucks but you can get by it with hard work and patience's (listen to your OS and PT but most important trust yourself)  Wishing everyone a happy holiday's. 
06/27/11 Ruptured right Patella Tendon
07/08/11 Surgery
09/15/11 Rom 125°
10/12/11 Current Rom 137°
10/27/11 Current Rom 140°

Offline Zlou58

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3972 on: December 22, 2011, 09:24:12 PM »
Week TWO update. Stitches out today!!!  Wow feel so good with those out. Also was told i can introduce some weight with crutches and I can also do quad sets!!!!  I found a way to roll in the car with the wife drivi g that is not too painful. Fairly excited. Two more weeks maybe a 30 degree bend?   Also don't have to sleep with elevated foot all night bc swelling is being handled nicely he says. Feel alright with that info. Thoughts!?  Let's get healing!!

Offline abros

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #3973 on: December 22, 2011, 11:31:26 PM »
Nine Months Post-OP

Well it is nine months for me.  From just rereading my 6 month post-op thread, there has been a lot of change.  Most significant has been my mental attitude toward this injury.  I realize that although this is a tough injury, I am thankful that it is not worse.  I developed the attitude that PTR is not the end of the world and recovery is gradual but I (and others who have had this) will be close to 99% by a year.  So everyday I keep pushing, strengthening and trying to returning to previous activity levels.

From a pain standpoint I really have none at this point.  Yes there is still some tenderness and stiffness but once I get going it feels almost normal.  The swelling and inflammation has really improved over the last 3 months.   In the morning I am only 1/2 cm larger on the knee circumference with the repaired side.  As the day goes on and if I have had a long one it will still blow up a bit, but resolves by the morning.  It still gets a little warm particularly after I have been at it on the weights, but again huge improvements here.

ROM is past the good leg from a flexion standpoint (140 plus degress).  I have people say this in other threads and it is likely from quad atrophy so the knee is able to flex beyond the good leg. I am assuming that it will return to normal after the quad size returns.  I think getting your ROM back pends on time to surgery and the technique (no wire is the biggy here).  My active extension is a little less than the good side.  This is a quad strength issue and appears to be improving. 

Strength is still an issue obviously.  I am guessing I am around 85-90% of the good leg.  There is still some atrophy throughout the quad.  This is slow to improve but improvements happen slowly.  Having said that the leg performs when I need it to.

I am back to work full-time including night shifts that I have to work.  My rehab at this point is strength training and agility with a kinesiologist / strength trainer 2 times week and another 2 X on my own.  Then I ride a bike 5 days a week.  I am back mountain biking pretty much everything and the knee takes the rough harsh terrain no issues.  I have even crashed a few time with no issues.

My goal is to enter our local mountain bike series with the 1st race being (March 11) 1 week short of the one year anniversary of the injury.  I will post my progress then. To all those starting this process don’t worry you will recover by working hard and pushing through some hurdles.

Abros

CSM4thCAV2014

« Reply #3974 on: December 23, 2011, 02:27:23 PM »
Lou…I understand your motivation to get along with physical therapy and expedite the healing and recovery process…I felt the same way. It is such a brutal injury, that instinctively you feel like you really have to get after it. I was frustrated when my OS delayed the start of my PT until 2 weeks after my casts were removed. I wanted to start the moment they were cut off! However, time is your friend and I would defer to the advice of your OS and perhaps more so to your physical therapist. Believe me, if you do PT 2 or 3 times a week plus do your home exercises consistently, you will notice steady progress which will be most encouraging. My timelines are different since I am a double rupture, but as comparison, I had 8 weeks in casts , then 4 weeks in immobilizers…started PT at 10 weeks. I went to my first PT session still using a wheelchair. Gradually went to a walker, then a cane before walking unassisted at about the 4 month point. As a single, you will recover much quicker.

I recommend using ice and elevation for as long as it helps. I’m near 8 months and still break out the ice packs at times when I’m having a particularly painful day. I massage my knees everyday with vitamin E lotion. I’ve also bought an extra soft set of knee pads like a carpet layer or roofer might use. I wear them any time I am kneeling, crawling, etc just so I can protect my knees just a little bit more. In general, I “baby” my knees in everything I do. Sleep with a nice size pillow between your knees and that is quite helpful too.

Concerning riding in a car, again my situation was different, especially when I had both legs in a cast!. However, for me it was crossways in the back seat only until I was out of the casts and had around 60 degrees or more ROM. The patella tendon rupture demands diligence and perseverance to stay the course because it is for some people, a very long ride. However, the collective advice from others on this forum who have been thru what you’re going thru is very good, I know I have benefited a good bit from it. I wish you all the best…hang in there!

JC