Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1427121 times)

Offline VBTAZ

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #3765 on: July 31, 2011, 06:10:57 AM »
Hello everyone!† Man, I wish I had found this months ago.†

For those who wish to read it, here's my tale.† I am 40 y.o and have been playing competetive volleyball for over 20 years.† Mostly indoors, but do venture onto the sand every once in a while.† On January 27th I was playing in the playoffs of a local league in Denver.† Middle of a game I backed up for my approach to hit, came in on the ball, jumped and it felt like a gunshot in my left knee.† While I was in the air!† Needless to say when I attempted to land, I kinda just crumbled.† After some choice language and writhing, I was helped off the court.† After the game was finished, my teammates brought my truck close to the building and helped me in.† Still didn't know what was wrong at this point.† I had got in touch with my wife and drove about 30-40 mins to the hospital closest to our home.† Don't ask me why?!?† When the doctor cutoff my knee brace, both he and my wife knew exactly what had happened.† They took the customary xrays and consulted the OS on call.† I had an appt with him the next afternoon.† Surgery was scheduled for Jan 31st.† Typical procedure with holes in the patella and sutures treaded through to the tendon.† Needless to say, we had to postpone our family trip to DisneyWorld that was supposed to start on Feb 2nd!
Post surgery, I lived on the reclining couch for about a month.† After a couple weeks, the staples came out.† I was put in a CPM machine at 3 wks, for 4-6 hours a day.† Fortunately I have the abilitiy to work remotely, so after the first week, I worked from the couch.† After about a month, I was able to get into my truck and actually get to the office.† My OS told me I could start PT at 6wks provided I had 90 deg ROM.† Well now I had a goal!† For a competetive guy like me, that's all I needed.† I practically lived in that CPM.† At my 6 wk appt, I was at 92 deg.† Now it was on to PT.† I had a recommendation from a co-worker who had a PTR in Nov 2009.† I can't say enough about my PT.† I was scheduled for 2x a week.† And just this week was discharged.† A total of 4 months.† As I kept watching other patients come and go it would get me down a bit.† "Why am I still here?"† They kept telling me that this injury is greatly different than most.† And that I need to keep the 1 year mark in my head to be back to "normal".† My PT routine follows what others have said.† Stationary bike, bio-feedback, etc.† On to leg presses, double leg squats on balance discs, travelling lunges and towards the end double leg hops.† One thing, though, that he also did was Trigger Point Dry Needling.† This is where he takes an accupuncture needle and instead of leaving it on the surface, he gets it all the way into the muscle and uses it to break up knots and scar tissue.† Let me tell you, it is something else!.† It can hurt a bit especially at the beginning.† But it definitely felt a ton better the next day.
So, now at the 6 mos. mark, I have been turned loose on my own to complete my comeback.† What have I learned?† Two things I have said all along.† This is VERY humbling.† And it teaches you patience.† Humbling, because early on I was so dependent on my wife or daughter for just about everything.† And I don't like to be dependent on anyone.† They are truly my angels.† And this injury is still teaching me patience - every day.† People often ask me whether I will return to playing volleyball.† I say of course!† After doing something for more than half your life, you can't just quit at the drop of a hat.† Besides, if I don't have that goal to strive for, I fear, my recovery may never end.† So I keep January 2012 in my head.† And next summer, I hope to be back on the court.† In the meantime, I will be here for anyone who needs advice.† Or just someone who's been through it to tell them it will be alright.† I know that's what I'll need from time to time as well.

Thanks for listening.† And just remember:† †It will be all right!

TAZ
22+ yrs competetive volleyball
Left knee PTR Jan 27, 2011
Sx Jan 31, 2011

Offline Wheels22

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3766 on: August 02, 2011, 08:06:36 PM »
Hello Everyone!

I am now on my 12th week post op. I canít believe how far I have come since week 7. I saw the most improvement from weeks 6-10. I went from not being able to do a straight leg lift on week 6 to doing multiple sets by week 7. I was also able to ride the bike in week 7. I ended up getting my full ROM back at week 9 †- ruptured patella leg I went to 140 degrease and my good leg went to 138 degrease. Physical therapist said that was normal because I didnít have my calf muscle to restrict my range of motion. Since then, itís just been hard work trying to build the quad. Most of my pain is not in the knee (surprisingly) but in the quad. Thatís usually what restricts me from being able to do the things I want to do. Is that common?

Iíve been able to go up the stairs, but I look very awkward doing that. I feel as though I am using more of my hip/butt rather than my quad. I kind of sway out to the side when I step up with my bad leg. From what my doctor said, he thinks I should be jogging by the end of August. Is that normal to be jogging by 16 weeks post op?? I feel like itís too soon to start jogging, especially with my quad still being nonexistent. I feel as though I might fall on my face if I even try to jog! When does the quad start to return? I feel like Iíve been working and working on it and its still all gimpy. I know that I need patience, and Iíve tried to have it. Just curious as to when my leg will look semi-normal again.

I walk without a limp now, and you wouldnít think anything was wrong with me unless you saw me in shorts (by the size difference in my legs and my scar) or if you saw me attempt going up or down stairs. It seems like going down stairs is going to be the hardest thing to get back. †Itís just incredibly painful for me to do step downs.

My knee is still pretty swollen. Does this ever go away? It doesnít look like a knee at all. I must say that its better than it was a few weeks ago, but Iím looking forward to having a non swollen knee!

LT Ė I am still reading, just not as often now. They restricted our web site access at work, and thatís usually when I would read and post! I apologize for being MIA! I really liked your post about the man you saw at the gym. I actually had a friend who had a quad rupture too. I didnít even know she had it until I told her what happened to me. She was much younger when it happened (she was 15 when she got hurt, and is now in her early 30ís). She pretty much only has a scar and it seems like nothing else is wrong with her. I asked her if she ever feels pain and she said no. I know that she was young when it happened, but it still gives me hope to a full recovery. I miss sports like crazy. When I first got hurt, I didnít think Iíd even want to even play a sport ever again because of the fear I had from my injury. Now I just canít wait to see if Iíll be able to do the things I used to be able to do. I have high hopes!

Stay positive everyone! It really does get better.
Ruptured Patellar Tendon

Offline cabrev

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3767 on: August 03, 2011, 12:22:52 AM »
Hi all, seems like everyone is making good progress.† Monique, wow(!) sounds like fabulous progress!† ROM back to normal that quickly is amazing...I think I was running ahead of the curve for quite a while, but then got stalled out at 125-ish, but now am making some progress again.† As to your quad question, for me the quad hurts mostly during stretching, not so much elsewise.† My pain (and it has remained fairly bad until what I'll update on in a few moments) has been mostly in and around the knee (all around it and under the kneecap it seems).† Good to hear you are nearly painfree!† I work the knee and leg, etc hard (for about three hours on the "on" days) and the quads still look like a wet noodle.† I'm amazed I have as much strength in it as I do, for how it looks.† Man, it seems to take forever to show much "visual" gain, but it is undoubtedly much stronger.† The knee is definitely an ugly swollen knob, I too wonder how it will end up looking, though I really don't much care, if it ultimately works and feels near normal.† The OS told me it would take months for the sewlling to go most all the way down and may still not look quite the same as it once did.† All the stairs stuff, etc sounds familiar.† Being able to start jogging at 16 weeks sounds early to me...at least my OS always seems pretty aggressive overall, but he spoke of nearly 6 months to get to that.† Keep us posted.† TAZ, glad you found this forum, and I look forward to hearing more from your valuable experience.† I believe that you'll be playing competetive volleyball, etc again for sure!† Kenneth, I certainly don't have any great advice on the best way to work in a pseudo-desk mode, as I never discovered anything great (others?).† Mikey O, nice to hear from people at your point...I'm so looking forward to being able to "sit on my heels" again.† JC and Fast Eddie, glad to hear you guys got the bike going around...man, for me that was one of the best feeling milestones.† Well, my good news is that as I mentioned before I've been experiencing a lot of chronic pain and what seemed like increasing difficulty from a pain standpoint on most exercises.† Well, I woke up Monday, went to PT feeling a bit down, though I'm always able to psych myself up once I get going, regardless...and got to doing things (reasonably aggressively, as usual) and was absolutely stunned...it was like "night and day"...not painfree but unbelieveably improved.† What had been one of my hardest things, now I was readily able to do 3 sets of ten reps of seated leg extensions with a ten-pound ankle weight without a lot of pain.† As I said, I was truly stunned.† I also stretched further again (not measured, but the phone-camera picture looked like 130+.† I also still feel markedly improved today, with much less pain, and now really looking forward to see if it all holds up tomorrow morning at PT.† Best to all, and keep us posted.

-LT

Offline tassiejim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3768 on: August 03, 2011, 11:28:34 AM »
Hi all

Good to see that everyone seems to be improving some at a faster rate than others well done to you all as for me well I started with a private PT 3 weeks ago and boy what a big diffrence on the 1st visit my ROM was 83 that was lying on my front and bring my heel up towards my butt on my back doing a heel slide the ROM 92.

Have been going twice a week since and yesterday lying on my front my ROM 104 and then doing the heel slide  ROM 112 its been hard work and painful as I am still getting a bit of pain while doing the exercises also opened my eyes to how badly this injury has affected my leg strength and how much more work I have to do building it up again went on the leg curl machine and felt like crying pushing the weight down with my bad leg i only just managed 10 kl 7 times and lifting managed just 3kl 10 times have also 1st time been on the bike and yesterday doing stepups and downs had to have a low step not able to lift up on a higher one I now have a better idea on what i have to do and how far behind I am as its now 22 weeks since my OP I think that first PT just held me back as the improvment in my ROM in 3 weeks working with a PT that is interested and commited to helping me improve has made a big diffrence  to me beside the gym work I have to keep doing some exercises at home most which is hint to get started on 40 steps :'( all the best.

JimB         
Jim B

Offline cabrev

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3769 on: August 04, 2011, 04:17:59 PM »
Hi JimB, glad to hear that you've found a good PT.† I think half the battle is having an OS and a PT that you believe in and that are truly interested in helping you get to where you want and need to be.† Best of luck.† -LT

Offline abros

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #3770 on: August 04, 2011, 09:33:04 PM »
Hey Wheels:

Ok the jogging / running thing.  It all depends on who you are and what your abilities are.  I have looked into this quite extensively.  If you are not a runner before your injury forget it.  If you read some of the rehab protocols then running can commence at 4 months.  If you think about it running will help developed the neuromuscular loops return faster.   I start running (ok jogging) at 3 months but I have been a runner my whole life.  I started at the recommendation of my PT and OS.  I started the eliptical first then moved to the treadmill.  I am at 4 months 1 week and now do 15 minutes on the treadmill 2 X week.  I work my way up to 7 miles an hour, stay there for 2 to 3 minutes then back off.  It has help my walking, steps and strength greatly.

I don't think low impact running prior to 6 months is a problem but and you don't need full ROM or strength to be on the treadmill.  I am not planning to hit the road until the 6 months at least. I believe it will help your fitness and agility return faster.

Abros

Offline Fast Eddie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3771 on: August 05, 2011, 12:29:39 AM »
Week 9 update.  I just found out my ROM is 115 up from 105 last week.  I am not pushing hard to get here.  I feel very lucky that ROM is progressing well without pain.  I am going to PT twice a week and performing my homework exercises three times a day.  My normal ROM on my good leg is 135.  I think I might be able to loose the brace next week.  I tried walking in PT. Felt very strange.  I am starting to get all sorts of pains as my muscles wake up.  I asked my PT how many PTR's he has done and he told me over 2 dozen.  I feel very lucky to have him and my OS.

Good luck to all!

Fast Eddie

Offline verbal

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3772 on: August 05, 2011, 03:43:17 PM »
Hey guys long time no speak :) Approaching 6 months post op now and currently at 100 deg ROM.. Can lead bad leg upstairs but not down yet :( Managed to drive a manual last week for the first time this year, still a bit of pain tho so i'm sticking with an automatic trans for now lol..

My quad is seriously wasted still and i'm looking for ideas on rebuilding the muscle? Am considering buying a pedal bike? What do you think?

Glad to see everyone getting better :)
31/01/11 Fell Downstairs Ruptured Left Patella Tendon
10/02/11 Surgery Pinned And Repaired
22/03/11 Plaster Removed & T-Scope Brace Fitted
6 months post op, Current ROM 90-100į

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 218
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3773 on: August 05, 2011, 04:12:53 PM »
Hi

So far so good, consider a floor cycle - did me a power of good - sitting in my chair, peddling away

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline verbal

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3774 on: August 05, 2011, 05:29:58 PM »
Cheers John.. I did buy a rower for the house but I'm fancying some fresh air exercise hence the bike.. Not sure if 100 deg will go round the pedals haha.. :)
31/01/11 Fell Downstairs Ruptured Left Patella Tendon
10/02/11 Surgery Pinned And Repaired
22/03/11 Plaster Removed & T-Scope Brace Fitted
6 months post op, Current ROM 90-100į

Offline Tonu1973

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Left Patella Rupture on 5/28/11
« Reply #3775 on: August 09, 2011, 07:26:42 PM »
Hello All,

I just found this site and have been toodling around for a little and thought I would join.

I am week 9 postop on a left knee full patellar tendon rupture.  I was playing touch football with a bunch of roudy pre teens on memorial day weekend.  Oops!

I was in immobilizer for 5 weeks and then was allowed to bear pressure as accepted, while still in a locked brace.  I progressed through crutches to a walking stick and now use nothing.  I've been at PT since week 5 and have for the most part been very conservative there.  I am currently at ~100 degrees ROM and have been doing straight leg lifts etc.

Yesterday I went to my Sports Med doctor and he said things are looking great.  He gave me the go ahead to unlock my brace at PT and start walking and closed chain strengthening.  I was also given another brace that is support but not locked.  He told me when PT thinks my quads are strong enough I can switch to this brace.  I can start driving next week and will most likely be going back to work (at least part time).

I think it is great to have a resource like this so that people can understand where they are in the spectrum of rehab and what to expect as you go along.

Todd

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3776 on: August 09, 2011, 07:33:39 PM »
Hi Todd

Welcome to the RPT club - a great source of information, a lot of buddies to give you support and advice.

Suggest that you read some of the previous posts.   Don`t hesitate to ask questions.

I have some good material covering this very rare and serious injury.

Let me have your e-mail address, and I will send it to you.

Where do you live?

Best wishes

JohnK/Manchester UK
[email protected]

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Mikey_O

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3777 on: August 09, 2011, 11:14:18 PM »
Question for those of you that are farther down the recovery than myself - 6 months post opp.

It's often mentioned on here that generally you can expect a full recovery from this injury. My question is, what constitutes a full recovery? In my case my quad strength is coming back and I have a decent range of motion (140 degrees). However my knee is still very swollen and clunky feeling. If my good knee feels as though it's lubricated with oil, my injured knee feels like it's full of sticky, thick honey! Does this sensation ever go away, or do i just need to reset my own expectations - i.e. that i'll be good as new within 12 months.
Full rupture of left patella tendon on Feb 10th 2011
Repair on Feb 15th 2011 - No wire was used
Age 32 - very active with longstanding tendonitis in my left knee

Offline Fast Eddie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3778 on: August 10, 2011, 01:14:58 AM »
Welcome Todd

I injured myself Memorial Day weekend as well.  I just lost my brace yesterday and my PT said I can walk around the office and home without a crutch but to use one in public.  I am at 115 degrees of rom and he told me no need to push it as it will come back.  Feels very strange and stiff to be walking.  I asked him about running and he said it is a 2012 event.  No word on driving yet.  This injury is very challenging. 

Best

Fast Eddie

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3779 on: August 10, 2011, 01:35:26 PM »
Hi Micky-O

140ROM is excellent - what is the ROM of your other leg?.

I am not aware of anybody who reached 100% preinjury, because the operation itself reduces some of the ROM.

Anything over 120ROM is a bonus ans is tolerable without pain - but consideration should be given to the resumption of some sports.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

support