Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1430655 times)

Offline Mozzer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #3270 on: November 07, 2010, 07:42:13 PM »
Hi everyone,

Brand new to the forum so I will briefly introduce myself.  My name is Phil.  I'm 48 and live in Manchester in the UK.  I ruptured my patella on the 4th October after misjudging where the last step was when coming down the stairs at home.  I had corrective surgery the following day involving a wire support.  No real pain apart from the night after the op which was a nightmare.  Pain since then has been minimal.

After 3 nights was discharged from hospital.  I live on my own so life was a challenge initially.  For the first 2 weeks was in a rigid knee brace but was then placed in a hinged brace set at 15 degrees  My OS intially suggested a cast but changed his mind when I mentioned that a hinged brace had been suggested on the ward.
Unfortunatelty the OS I saw at clinic was different to the one who performed the op!

I attend physio once a week (which started 3 weeks post op).  Physio has so far only consisted of attempting to raise my heel when lying down (I can't move my heel/leg at all but my physio says she can feel an improvement) and pushing my knee down into the treatment bed.   My quad is already resembling a blancmange and I'm concerned that my knee's mobility is not being challenged enough.

Anyway it was good to find this forum as the shared experiences have already offered a great deal of comfort and reassurance to me.  Best of all I feel more informed and now want to ask some searching questions the next time I'm at clinic on the 3 Dec.

Best of luck to everyone 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 07:48:41 PM by Mozzer »

Offline Tri-ingMike

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3271 on: November 10, 2010, 12:41:29 AM »
EJ & Ward, thanks for the info.  I spoke to my OS some more and it looks like similar but much less time like you said EJ.  I go in to have it done on Friday so I will keep everyone up to date.  Hope you all keep on the mend!

Mike

Offline EJCR

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3272 on: November 11, 2010, 02:40:37 AM »
Good luck Mike! Ask for the nerve blocker, I didn't get it but I wish I had. Let us know how it went. There used to be a lot more action on this board, not sure why the drop off. Maybe everyone is healed and no one has ruptured a patellar tendon in a while. Anyway, post any unique experiences, questions, or successes because someone out there is interested.

I just hit a little past 5 months post surgery and I really think I have turned a corner. This week I have been feeling great. Ran 2 miles with no pain for the first time, been able to do lunges, and Im improving in leg extensions with 20 pound of weight. I can even hop up and down on the bad leg with no issues. The popping in the knee is completely gone. For those still experiencing popping, just hang in there and continue to strengthen the quad.

Hope everyone is doing well,

EJ
Full patellar tendon rupture June 11 2010
Surgery June 14 2010

Offline RPT25

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3273 on: November 13, 2010, 11:12:39 AM »
Week 12 update:

Walking without crutches in and outside of the house now. Most of the stifness in my knee has gone and I have full flex back in my knee. Took me 5 weeks to get back full flex without a CPM machine. I would advise anyone looking into buying one not to. I used one of my old neck ties to do heel slides everyday, 3x's a day, a much cheaper option.

My quads are much stronger and the buckling as stopped all together as well as clicking sounds in my knee. Walked on a tredmill today for 5 min at 2.0 speed. I am also able to keep my knee flexed for long periods of time with little or no pain when its time to get up.

Hope everyone is well.

Offline Tri-ingMike

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3274 on: November 14, 2010, 12:37:15 AM »
Had the procedure yesterday.  Seems to have gone well, I have a follow up  appt on Tuesday to get the run  down.  So far no way am I trying to move anything.  it is in the brace and as long as I dont move around a lot it is OK.  I did get the nerve block and am happy that I did.  I will post more later as I progress along. 
Take care everyone.

Mike

Offline JB17

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3275 on: November 16, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »
I just found this forum and wanted to join the discussion.  I haven't been able to read all of the previous posts yet, but I will.

I was running while at work on June 12, 2010.  I slipped and fell onto both knees causing bilateral patellar tendon ruptures.  I had surgery on both knees the following day.  I was in the hospital for 3 weeks and began physical therapy almost immediately following surgery.

Currently, it has been 18 weeks since the incident.  I use braces on both legs and a cane.  I go to physical therapy 5 days a week for approximately 2 hours a day.  My surgeon believes it will take 12 to 18 months for full recovery.

I will continue reading previous posts, but if you have a similar situation and want to share stories/advice/warnings just let me know.

Hi MKCx2

I suffered bi-lateral RPT last year, now 14 months post-op, also dislocated my shoulder on impact as was running flat out when both tendons ruptured for good measure! Its been a while since I posted but your post sounds just like mine.
It sounds like you have had a tough recovery. I spent first 4 weeks in hospital, went home for 2 weeks and then checked back into hospital for 2 more weeks of intense physio, hydrotherapy which I highly recommend. I first took my braces off after 6 weeks, only whilst in the pool but was terrified of falling again, so this is normal. I was off work for 3 months.
My braces were removed after 9 weeks and I used a cane until 12 weeks. My surgeon also said between 12 - 18 months recovery, its really hard to let go of braces and cane but I recommend you try to phase these out, the more you do the greater your confidence will grow.
I started regular gym leg workouts, weights- squats, presses, hamstring curls, etc after 14 weeks, very light to start but that grew over next 3 months. After 6 months I was getting confidence back and much more so after 12 months.
I'm now very confident to do most things, although don't think I will ever get the confidence to sprint flat out again, and am cautious about slippery surfaces. But I do jog and enjoy RPM (spin), bike classes at the gym which are very intense. Now confident to jog / slow run with side steps angles etc, mainly playing footy in the back yard with my kids.
Keep me posted on your progress. Whilst it seems tough now it will get better, hopefully my experience can help boost your confidence, keep up the good work.

Cheers
JB17

Bi-lateral RPTs 12/09/2009.
33 years of age at time, injury happened whilst sprinting in Bootcamp training!

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 218
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3276 on: November 16, 2010, 11:10:01 AM »
Hi

Good to see a positive update - take care with wet leaves, ice on the roads.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline MKCx2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
    • facebook page
« Reply #3277 on: November 18, 2010, 02:39:21 AM »
Week 22 update:

First, thank you to all who post.  I appreciate reading all of the posts even though I don't reply directly to them (I don't post much).
Yes, week 22.  So far, I seem to be way behind others here as far as progress goes.  I still wear braces on both legs and walk with a cane.  This is just now starting to change.  I walked at therapy without the braces and cane last week for the first time.  Now we work on walking without the braces at least once a day.  I realize it is more psychological at this point, but it's overwhelming.

I started pool therapy a few weeks ago and enjoy it.  After reading some more posts on it, I'm planning to do more.  Currently, I go to physical therapy 5 days a week for about 2 hours a day and pool therapy 2 times a week for about an hour.

ROM: 120 on right knee; 123 on left.  Not much progress recently.  I was at 115 on both knees about a month ago.

I've been doing strength training since about week 10.  It has been very slow going.  Then three weeks ago I had a major setback.  I was doing leg presses and pushing it pretty hard and my right patella popped out of place.  I'm sure it seemed worse than it actually was, but it was a blow to my mental state.  The following week the crepitus increased so much (in addition to the already present popping) that I could not ride the stationary bike anymore.  That's when I started Graston.  Did that for 2 weeks without much results.  It has been a tough month.

I’ve been trying to figure out why I seem to be lagging behind everyone I am reading about.  There is only one thing that stands out as different in my situation, but I’m not sure it is the problem.  The day after surgery, the staff physical therapists at the hospital came in and said I should begin therapy immediately.  Of course, I was still loopy from the morphine so I was not even able to question them or ask for a consult with the surgeon.  10 minutes later I was quite literally screaming at the top of my lungs in pain and agony and begging them to stop.  They tried again the next day with the same result.  By the third day, I told them it would be in their best interest to not enter my room anymore.  On day 4, I was moved to a rehab hospital with new physical therapists and we started over a few days later.  I had no cast or immobilization period that everyone else here describes.  I was told the longer you wait to start physical therapy the less chance you have at full recovery.  I am now left wondering if that first week was traumatizing enough that it is causing me all these problems now.

I have been off work for over 5 months and the doctor says it will be 6 or 7 more before I am able to return to work.  I think I am going insane.

Bilateral patellar tendon rupture on June 12, 2010

Offline MKCx2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
    • facebook page
« Reply #3278 on: November 18, 2010, 03:06:56 AM »
Okay, now on to responses and questions:

Rumman, I know what you are saying about taking the braces away.  I am forcing myself to do it even though no one else is.  How long did it take for you to get comfortable once they came off for good?

Smillie, same here with the Graston – IT band, quads, and lots of old scar tissue.  I guess I failed to mention the last post – I had somewhat advanced arthritis prior to the injury.  I say somewhat because I am only 38 years old – so advanced for a 38 year old I guess.

Ferdy, I am completely with you on the ‘hates’ of stairs, stiffness, long sits, and the quad shaking.  My only difference is that I can drive.  Of course, you have the distinction of being able to take a standing shower.  I have been sitting for showers for 5 months now.

EJ, you mentioned popping.  I have bad popping in my right knee.  It is what is preventing me from cycling the most.  Very different from the crepitus or grinding.  It is a very distinct and audible ‘pop’ when I pass about 85 degrees.  Is this the same as what you were referring to?  I haven’t seen others post about this.  My therapist ordered a patellar tracking brace to help with this.  More than anything else I’m experiencing I wish the popping would stop.

Greg

Offline MKCx2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
    • facebook page
« Reply #3279 on: November 18, 2010, 03:42:22 AM »
JB17, I read all of your posts and I agree we seem to have similar cases.  I was at a full sprint on a slight downhill when it occurred.  We always assumed I slipped and the injury occurred when I hit the pavement, I hadn't considered a rupture during midstride.  I suppose it could have been the left one while running that caused me to fall on the other.  I have major road rash on the right knee - lost a lot of skin.  Sounds like we fell in a similar way as well, but luckily no shoulder injury here.  I would like to hear more about the mechanics of your injury and fall to try to discover if mine was the same way.  Another similarity is the hospital stay - yours 4 weeks and mine 3 weeks.  I don't see many people talking about hospital stays.

I, too, have been taking the braces off only for the pool as you mentioned.  That is the only time I feel comfortable with it.  I read your post about hydrotherapy with great interest.  I think I will increase my pool days and use the exercises you mentioned.  Which do you suggest I start with?

You talked about confidence which is a tough battle for me right now.  I know I can walk on my legs, but I'm lacking the ability to lose the braces.  When they are off I get disoriented and lightheaded until I just freeze up.

I will post more frequent updates and I would like to hear more about your recovery from the 6 to 12 months period if you have the time.

Greg

Offline topbre_22

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3280 on: November 18, 2010, 06:00:45 PM »
Hi All,
I'm Eric, 30 yrs young from London.

I ruptured my left knee patellar tendon playing football/soccer. I went to cross the ball with my right leg and my left standing leg collapsed beneath me - pure agony!!!!!! This happened on the 25th Oct (3wks tomorrow) and I had the operation 3 days later on the 28th. Luckily I was only in slight pain pre op and minor pain post op.

I've had my staples out and I'm currently in a fancy knee brace with my leg slightly bent. The op I had involved a wire inserted in my knee and will apparently be removed after 3mths. Bit of a shame really as i've healed up nicely.

As the accident and hospital i was taken to is miles away from where i live i should be referred to a private orthapedic surgeon near to me but apart from the letter they suppled me at the hospital I am not sure if i should be seen before my 8week  appointment where flexion will be reviewed (this is mentioned in the referal letter the hospital supplied me with).

I hear some people start gentle physio after 3/4 weeks so don't really want to delay or hinder my recovery. Thoughts??

At the mo i am in no pain and can stand on and raise my leg from a sitting position- not that i make a habit of it.

For those of you I haven't sent to sleep, your opinions and comments would be appreciated.

Get well soon everyone  ;D

ps Thanks for the documents John.
Full patellar tendon rupture, playing football in 25th October 2010

Offline rumman

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3281 on: November 18, 2010, 10:29:24 PM »
MKCx2 I can't really remember when I got use to no brace, but I do know that the less I used it the less I depended on it, bare in mind that it was 1 RPT, not 2 like in your case........Rumman

Offline EJCR

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3282 on: November 19, 2010, 02:42:01 AM »
Greg-

Sorry to hear that you are making a slower than expected anticipated recovery. As I've seen throughout these posts, progress comes differently for everyone but it doesn't mean that you wont make a 100% recovery. Keep working hard at your rehab and be conscientious about doing your daily exercises and progress will come. The popping was very annoying for me and took several weeks to overcome. It was a tracking issue because the muscles in my leg were not strong enough to keep the kneecap in track. I felt it anytime I bent the leg and also with straight leg raises. It was most noticeable while standing on one leg and trying to bend the knee slightly or when my leg was tired. The surgeon really depressed me when he said that it may never go away but Im happy to report that with time it is completely gone. He also felt a crepitis in the knee as well. I did a lot of toe touches (standing on a step with my bad leg, using my arms and the railing for balance, and bending my bad leg till I touched my good toe to the step below) I also did a lot of walking, leg lifts,  biking, eliptical machines, swimming, and stairs when I started to feel stronger. The key was to always challenge the leg a little bit more each day but also be conscious of when it was tired and never do anything that created too much pain.

Keep challenging yourself walking without the braces. Walk around the house and when you feel comfortable walk on an even paved sidewalk. I remember trying to ween myself off the brace, It clicked for me that it was a mental thing when I was walking with the brace unlocked and Doc told me "with the brace unlocked it is no different than not having the brace at all, just take the brace off". Same with the cane, just start to slowly to do away with it all. The more you do the more confident you will become and the more you will strengthen your legs. 22 weeks into your recovery your patellar tendons have healed, now its just a matter of strengthening and getting your confidence back.

Best of luck!

EJ
Surgery June 14 2010

Offline EJCR

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3283 on: November 19, 2010, 02:54:27 AM »
Topbre_22

I can only speak from my recovery experience which in hindsight was pretty aggressive and successful. I was completely immobilized for 4 weeks, no bending, no weight bearing, no nothing. The reason was that it takes a while for the tendon to heal and you risk reinjury if you start bending the leg too soon. Its not suprising that so soon after surgery you still have good quad strength. The downside is that as you remain immobilized your quad atrophies. In the long run an atrophied quad is easier to repair then a reinjured tendon. After 4 weeks I was doing limited weightbearing, monitored bending, and limited quad excercises. Each week I was allowed to do a little more. In response to your question and without knowing too much about your situation I would think that 8 weeks is too long go without starting to excercise the quad, I would also say that 3 weeks is probably a little too soon. As John preaches, make sure you have a PT that understands the injury and the type of rehab you will require. This is not an injury that can be pushed too hard but also not one where rehab can be ignored. You can read my previous posts to see the challenges I had with rehab. If I remember right I was pretty good about outlining my progress and rehab excercises. Im happy to answer any questions I can.

Best of luck in your recovery... Keep posting... someone out there has experienced the same thing you are and are happy to help...

EJ
Surgery June 14 2010

Offline EJCR

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3284 on: November 19, 2010, 03:29:02 AM »
Greg- I know your recovery is different and more challenging with 2 affected knees and there are others out there that are getting to the 16 week mark so I thought I would write a little about the "post brace" recovery period.

Once you lose the brace and start to feel more comfortable moving around without it there are still significant challenges. First, you will probably still be limping, getting the hang of walking again is tough because you never really straighten your leg as you walk and your quad is not strong enough to constantly support that bend. If you are like me you will use your hip muscle a lot to help out and end up walking very funny. Continue to be conscientious with your ROM exercises even as you start to improve. When you have mastered the heel slide start to try to do a standing quad stretch by bending your leg behind you and grabbing your ankle while standing. When that is comfortable and painless start to work on kneeling. As far as walking, stairs will probably still hurt a little. Going up will come much faster than going down. As your quad starts to strengthen your walking will normalize but youll still feel that "heavy" feeling in your knee. This will eventually go away and you will barely notice your knee as you walk. Stairs are more challenging and even after you can walk normal going down stairs will still be challenging without holding on to a railing. I found that I still had significant issues with stiffness even after I was walking normal. While sitting I had to straighten the leg from time to time or Id have pain. With all of these small improvements came more confidence. I found that I improved the most on the weekends when I was not sitting at a desk and was able to exercise and move around. After 16 weeks I started open chain excercises but running came very slowly and speed even slower. At 22 weeks Im still not able to cut, jump, or sprint. Hopefully in the next few months. The Doc said when I obtain 90% of the strength of my good leg I am ok to start sprints and cuts. Not sure how you can accurately measure that but I know Im not there yet. I know this was stream of consciousness writing but I hope it was helpful.

EJ
Surgery June 14 2010

support