Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1251483 times)

Offline LondonNiall

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 4
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #2310 on: September 10, 2009, 08:28:45 AM »
By the way, have discovered that Ronaldo (The Brazilian one) is also a former member of the RPT club. He partially ruptured his right patella tendon in Nov 99 whilst playing for Inter. He then fully ruptured it within 7 mins of his comeback game in April 2000.

However, he made a full recovery, playing in and winning the 2002 World cup in June that year, was named World Player of the year in 2002 and went on to sign for Madrid and then Milan.

In Feb 2008 whilst playing for Milan he ruptured the tendon for a third time, this time in his left leg but again made a comeback. Made his debut in March 2009 for Corinthians of Brazil. He continues to play professional football for Corinthians.

Now I'm sure he had the best care in the world but you have got to admire the guy's determination to comeback three times from this. Amazing.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 06:05:12 PM by LondonNiall »
25th Aug 09; Complete rupture of right patella tendon with surgery the following day;
18th Oct 09; Snapped the wire support whilst exercising;
21st Dec 09: Surgery to remove screw and wire support.
28th Mar 10: Played football again

Offline wrelliford

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2311 on: September 22, 2009, 04:04:56 AM »
Good day all! I am new to the group. Its crazy to see so many who have also suffered this injury. i am a 25yr old male who ruptured my right patellar tendon playing American football on 8/8/2009. I noticed this site is from the UK and just wanted to specify. I was running down field when an opposing player went low and his helmet smashed into my knee. i seen my kneecap go to the outer side of my leg and somehow i pushed it back and also heard a loud "pop"! i knew something was wrong instantly. i laid on the turf and the trainers placed me in an immobilizer. i went to the ER where they diagnosed it as a knee sprain and dislocation. they told me to make an appointment with the OS on that coming monday. unfortunately the doc couldnt see me untill that wednesday 8/14. when he felt my knee and he bent it over the table, he asked me to kick his hand and i tried extremely hard. the next thing he said to me was "we need to schedule you for surgery tomorrow to repair your ruptured pattellar tendon". i was speechless. he operated on me the next day 8/15. i am now currenrtly about 6 weeks post-op. i started PT last week which i do 3 times a week. at the end of last week 9/18 my ROM was 67 degrees. today 9/21 i am at 82 degrees. my therapist said i will be past 90 at the conclusion of the week. she said we are a tad behind where she would have liked to be. she said she would have liked for us to b working towards the 120 degree mark. that
was a little disapointing but i will keep fighting. hopefully things speed up because im ready to get back on the field running routes and catching passes. 
does anyone happen to have any ideas to increase my ROM as well as some quad strengthen exercise?

Will

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #2312 on: September 22, 2009, 07:46:35 AM »
Hi Will

Welcome to the RPT thread - very important that you read up some of the back posts - I have sent you three documents, which will give you an indication of the rehab process.

please be free to ask any questions - we are all here to help you to recover your ROM.

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline LondonNiall

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2313 on: September 22, 2009, 08:01:31 PM »
Hi Will, i'm about 2 weeks behind you having ruptured mine on 25th aug, so I don't have any serious quad exercises yet. I'm just doing straight leg raises and squats with my back against the wall. What I would say is that I've read around the subject a bit and two factors that play a bit role in how well and quickly you recover are age and generally level of fitness prior to the injury.

I saw my othopaedic consultant today who advised that whilst it's a serious injury and not the most common, he does see quite a lot of these in his line or work (actually repaired one on saturday). He also said he saw no reason why i couldn't play football (soccer) again. Personally, at my age (35) I may pass on that but all sounds positive for you. He also said if your PT isn't pushing you, get another one. Have also read 120 target is around 12 weeks for most so expect you're doing fine. Everyone is different though I guess.

Had my first proper PT today at 4 weeks post snappage. Have 60 degree ROM. No pain at all. Still pretty swollen though. Comfortable on one crutch (can prob get away without any but playing it safe). Back to work tomorrow.

Both PT and doc mentioned the level of scar tissue is a sizeable factor in eventual ROM and that you can expect to lose about 10 degrees all told. So lots of scar massage recommended and keep the kneecap mobile by waggling it about. Expect you know this already. Personally I'll need another op in 6 months time to take out the screw and wire (this method of additional support is more commonly used in the UK, especially for tall and/or heavier types) and they'll take the opportunity to try to break up some scar tissue then. Also from other posters I think swimming pool based exercises are especially useful.

thanks

25th Aug 09; Complete rupture of right patella tendon with surgery the following day;

Offline wrelliford

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2314 on: September 23, 2009, 03:51:50 AM »
John, thanks for all the information you provided to me.
LondonNial, hope everything get better for you soon. is the operation to take the screw and wire out going to set you back any?

so today i went to PT and my ROM was 85. i go to my doctor tomorrow and hopefully he allows me to discontinue the use of the brace which is rather uncomfortable. i think im alot closer to having a normal walk without it. but we will see what he says and i was give an update.

is it normal for my knee joint to crack every few steps? its get rather annoying.

thanks

Offline LondonNiall

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2315 on: September 23, 2009, 06:13:05 PM »
I asked that question, depends how easily the wire comes out which in turn will determine how much of the scar he needs to reopen. It shouldn't set me back too much and will actually free up a bit more movement so I'm told. All depends on how much digging about he feels is necessary at the time. A long way off though, one step at a time and all that.

Offline subail

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • The glass is always half full!
« Reply #2316 on: September 23, 2009, 07:06:44 PM »
My doctor will not remove my wires and screws unless I am very uncomfortable. He thinks it is more damaging to go get the wire than just to leave it.......
Dislocation of left patella and as a result left patellar tendon rupture in the medial section/torn at both ends.
3 Previous surgeries-semitendiosis tenodesis
Reconstruction surgery left knee October 10 '07
TKR right knee May 25 '10.....successful!
Limited ROM/TKR left knee May 25 2015...successful.

Offline wrelliford

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2317 on: September 23, 2009, 10:58:51 PM »
Today I went to see my OS and he told me everything looks good. He told me I could come out my brace in controlled environments where i feel comfortable. We scheduled another visit for October 28 where i will be apx 10 wks post-op. I feel pretty good about my progress thus far and am looking forward to the day when im normal.

So what is the purpose of screws and wires for the tendon? I just assumed it would be sewn up.

Offline subail

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2318 on: September 23, 2009, 11:16:51 PM »
I had to have wire and screws because I didn't have a repair....I had an allograft from a cadaver.....an Achilles tendon for my patellar! My surgeon said it would have been like trying to sew jello!! ;D
Dislocation of left patella and as a result left patellar tendon rupture in the medial section/torn at both ends.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #2319 on: September 24, 2009, 06:34:46 AM »
Hi Wrelliford

I understand that a wire/screws to the patellar is used for a persons who is heavier built.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline subail

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2320 on: September 25, 2009, 12:40:34 AM »
Not always John!!!!

Offline Iceman3473

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2321 on: September 26, 2009, 02:25:14 PM »
It's interesting to not only see the different recovery paths that people take/need but also the different techniques used to fix this injury.  My tendon ruptured half off the knee cap and half off my leg bone, and then spilit down the middle.  My surgeon, from what he told me, used sutures to reconnect everything.  He drilled holes in my knee cap and attached the top of the tendon with the sutures which I guess I assume just remain in their state forever?  I don't have another surgery to take anything out, so either the sutures just stay in there to hold everything together, or the tendon reattaches to the knee cap and the sutures dissolve.  I honestly don't know, I guess I assumed they would just remain in their original state forever, holding it all together.  Given all that, I was only on crutches for a day or so and was back at work part-time a week later.  I was walking about a mile total, to and from my bus stops, at two weeks.  Everything has gone very smoothly for me, I think I am fortunate that I am younger (35) and in decent although not great shape.  I am about to hit my 4 month mark in a week and have pretty much full motion back, and can ride a bike (although it does hurt to try and stand and ride up a steep incline).  I can walk as well as I could prior to the injury, no hint of the injury at all.  The only thing that is a thorn in my side on a day to day basis is the stairs.  I can go up and down without a railing, but it's still not entirely normal but getting better every day.  My muscles are pretty much back to pre-injury size, so that has been a pretty quick recovery too, I was pretty worried about how small my leg was going to shrink sitting in that immobilizer for what seemed like forever.  My only concern in the back of my head is that I have gotten to this point without doing any PT since week 4.  At that point it was just ROM stuff and I was already to my max allowed by my OS, so it was pretty much pointless.  He showed me how to do the stretches at that point, so I just continued doing them on my own as the weeks went on and I was approved for more and more ROM.  I never really hit a wall, it just kept coming back, the strength kept coming back, and everything has been going well, so I figured what was the point?  I do plan to join a health club for a few months so I can use the machines there to do some extra strength work.  I'm really not sure what else the PT would be able to do for me.  As long as everything is working properly, muscle activity has returned and ROM is back to pre-injury, there shouldn't be a reason to I wouldn't think. 

It's great to read everyone else's experiences, I check this site about every other day to see how everyone else is doing, so keep us all updated on your progress!

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #2322 on: September 26, 2009, 05:01:18 PM »
Indeed, from what you have described is the typical way the knee is repaired.   The sutres disolve over a period of time.   

You certainly made a very fast recovery, much better than most.  Stairs will remain a problem, likewise walking on wet surfaces or grass.

Keep up the good work

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Kneeds

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #2323 on: September 29, 2009, 07:34:36 PM »
In regard to the dissolving sutures, in my repair they used permanent non-dissolving sutures for the internal repair of the tendon, which involved drilling 4 holes in my patella to route the stitches through so the detached tendon could be cinched tight to the patella.  My surgeon indicated non-dissolving sutures are required due to the length of time the tendon takes to heal.  Dissolving sutures would loose there integrity to soon to be of any structural support during the healing process.  The sutures become redundant once the healing is complete and because they are inert they can remain in place without causing any issues.
Complete rupture of tendon (May 2008) just below the patella (surgeon indicated tendon was shredded and looked like the end of a string mop)

If nobody moves, nobody gets hurt.  I prefer to move and move fast!

Offline Kneeds

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #2324 on: September 29, 2009, 07:39:36 PM »
Some positives to look forward to for those early in the recovery process, here is my evaluation of life 16 months after my RPT repair:

- days go by that my knee never crosses my mind
- I break into a sprint (i.e. chasing my kids) without thinking about my knee
- I have a cool scar and conversation piece
- I can kick a soccer ball (football to Europeans)
- I can run down stairs if I choose
- If I'm laying down and my kids jump on my leg I can pick them up with the injured leg (like a leg extension and/or straight leg raise)
- I can jump
- I can jog (haven't tried any great distance... I hate jogging)
- Cycling is effortless
- My ROM has remained about 145 since week 16
- I continue to complete my full leg training routine (bodybuilder) except for heavy leg extensions
- My VMO is back
- My recovery seemed like just a small blip in time (which it wasn't) from my perspective now
- Improvement at this stage is slow however I still feel it's improving
- I've stopped worrying about a re-rupture
- Quality of life is back to normal

Some current observations:

- my knee is a different shape now
- kneeling on a hard surface is still uncomfortable
- Still some numbness from the incision
- If I sit and think about it I realize my knee feels different now and is different (but functions good)
- Looking ahead at a year of recovery seems long, looking back at a year of recovery seems quick!
Complete rupture of tendon (May 2008) just below the patella (surgeon indicated tendon was shredded and looked like the end of a string mop)

If nobody moves, nobody gets hurt.  I prefer to move and move fast!

support