Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1250891 times)

Offline Clos509

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #2115 on: September 09, 2008, 11:32:47 PM »
Something scary happened to me today. I was on my crutches and lost my footing.  I caught myself from falling but with my injured leg.  when my foot hit the ground about 80% of my weight rested on it as well.  I felt  a pop and my leg gave way a little sideways.  I elevated it and iced it and there is no swelling and not much pain niether just really scary.  I also dont have my ACL and my LCL and MCL are still sprained.  Any advice should I be concerned and notify my OS.  I can still feel my patella good.

Offline subail

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • The glass is always half full!
« Reply #2116 on: September 10, 2008, 01:31:14 AM »
I would definitely check the situation out with your OS...what harm can there be in asking?
Dislocation of left patella and as a result left patellar tendon rupture in the medial section/torn at both ends.
3 Previous surgeries-semitendiosis tenodesis
Reconstruction surgery left knee October 10 '07
TKR right knee May 25 '10.....successful!
Limited ROM/TKR left knee May 25 2015...successful.

Offline CMP21

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2117 on: September 11, 2008, 07:06:09 PM »
Has anyone had a manipulation procedure done on their knee?  My doctor tells me it consists of a 2 day stay in the hospital where they put you under anesthesia and manipulate(bend the heck out of) the knee in order to restore range of motion.  I'm told I am about 50-50 for needing this procedure due to significant scar tissue.  It sounds pretty painful and miserable but my doctor didn't seem very concerned about the procedure.  I'm at exactly 6 weeks post op and am at 80 degrees for my range of motion.

Doctor did completely unlock my brace as I have had pretty good success in maintaining quad funtion over the first six weeks.  I'm looking forward to the step up in rehab that begins today.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #2118 on: September 11, 2008, 07:10:49 PM »
Have to say that 80ROM at 6 weeks is excellent - Scar tissue is a constant worry, but I did not require any drastic treatment to get rid of scra tissue.

JohnK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline itsbeenayear

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Ruptured Patella Tendon September 2007
« Reply #2119 on: September 12, 2008, 02:18:03 PM »
Hi CMP

I have had 3 manipulations - unfortantely I have been EXTREMELY unlucky!
-
I wont go into the ins and outs, but I am on life time warfarin which means my blood is extremely thin. The first one worked, and was a complete success until a month later. I was in for a bit longer, but because of blood complications. very light anaesthetic and they literally bend the knee back to break down all the scar tissue. I was put on the CPM (knee bender) straight away, and it was fantastic. You are exm ontremely fortunate to get 80 degrees so quickly - im only just there after a year !, but please dont take that as a negative, as explained before i have been proper unlucky !!

Hope it goes well, and if you need any more info on it please ask

Its Been A Year

Offline mgh20

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2120 on: September 18, 2008, 06:30:11 PM »
Hi my name is Mark I'm 24 and from the UK. I ruptured my patella tendon playing football a couple of weeks ago and was just wondering how people are able to have a range of motion just after 2 or 3 weeks? I have an adjustable brace on my leg after having surgery (the whole wire and drilling procedure) and the doctors have said the brace is to be locked straight for at least the next 6wks.
I have a couple of exercises to try and retain a little quad muscle. For example, pressing the back of my knee down into the floor and holding. Does anyone have any other tips/exercies that I could perform?
I also have another question. I can't lift my heel up at all when lying down. Is this common? Because its a pain!!!
Thanks

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #2121 on: September 18, 2008, 06:39:16 PM »
Hi Mark

Welcome to this exclusive club - you have sustained a very rare serious injury and you are advised to read up as much as you can on this thread to prepare for eventual recovery.

You will be in your brace for about 5/6 weeks, and then your leg will have about 30/40 ROM - range of movement. Your next milestone will be 90 ROM, in about 12/14 weeks.

First tip - sleep with a pillow/cushion between your knees.

If you let me have your e-mail address, I will let you have three documents, where you can read up all about the rehab process.

Whereabouts in the UK do you live?

Do not hesitate to ask questions about this injury, because you will find that the majority of PT`s have never seen this type of injury before.

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK
[email protected] -

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline itsbeenayear

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Ruptured Patella Tendon September 2007
« Reply #2122 on: September 19, 2008, 08:07:53 AM »
Well, its coming up to exactly a year since my accident - 29th September, and thats the day i am finally going back to work !!- Started to drive this week, wow, thats weird after not having done it for so long - John, just had the letter regarding the blue badge, going for an assesment next week, got a letter from my consultant confirming that I am disabled - for anybody reading this please dont get alarmed, I have been EXTREMELY unlucky with my injury, and there were major complications which had nothing to do with the original rupture.

I still seem to be stuck at 80 rom, and although my pt says it will eventually come back, i cant see it happening - and the hospital have taken back the CPM this week, which means no more four hours daily on that - Have tried to look for one to rent/hire - wow how is anybody meant to afford that amount of money - if anybody knows of where i can get one cheaper than about 2k then please let me know.

Happy Bending !

Its Been A Year

Offline Clos509

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2123 on: September 19, 2008, 11:48:21 PM »
Hello again everyone

Well its been a good 5th week post op.  I just started PT this week and it seems like 1 week already has made a huge difference.  I am at 50 ROM and my PT told me that I should be at 65 ROM by the end of next week.  OUCH!!  He was very amazed by the strength still in my leg and how much knowledge I had about the rehab excercises he had me doing thanks to   JOHN....  thanks again for that crucial information you sent me it was like I had a jump start into PT and started 1 step ahead.  He also started me on walking with the parallel bars which was the closest thing to walking Ive felt since before the accident which was great.  I still cannot lift my heal off the bed yet but when I try I am starting to get a tremble in my quads which I feel they may be comming back.  Since starting PT its given me much more confidence, and more hope of recovery from this awful injury.  I know I still have a long road ahead of me, I now know that there is light at the end of the tunnel.  My PT told me he had an 80 year old man who ruptured his patellar tendon and flew through PT.  He told me he left PT with a barely noticable limp.  WOW

If anyone reads this post don't give up hope, and just take it one day at a time. 

Offline AngryPigeon

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2124 on: September 20, 2008, 06:47:32 PM »
Here we go again.   :-\

Well I just received my surgery appointment confirmation letter today for my re-repair, Friday the 26th.  I originally ruptured my PT in Feb.  The first OS apparently did not do a sufficient job, and now I have to start over.  My second OS said the original surgeon "did not do a BAD job" emphasis on BAD???  That "not a bad job" left me with severe Patella Alta and I now think some meniscus tearing as well.  The new surgery confirmation says I'll be receiving three procedures:

Rt. Knee ATS Partial Menisectomy, Patellar Chondroplasty, and Patellar Tendon Reconstruction (again)

With the PT repair I assume he will have to reconstruct both my Retinacullums as well, as both were ruptured in the original fall, and I guess both were left too long also.

I googled each procedure, the PM is the repair of the torn meniscus, and the PC is when cartilage tissue behind the patella is shaved down.  I however don't know what the ATS on the sheet means.  Like with any procedure, I have seen on this board, good and bad stories about the menisectomy and chondroplasty surgeries.  I know what to expect from the tendon repair but does anyone have an idea about these two?  Such as, recovery time and physical therapy methods?

I also received a letter for the approval of some "device".  It is an E0650 Nonsegmental Pneumatic Compressor (cold unit and wrap).  Anyone know what that might be?  lol

Looking back, I wish I would have done a little research and found a good surgeon the first time.  Guess nobody thinks about that when they are laying in an Emergency Room for 6 hours and just want to be "fixed" ASAP.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 06:49:27 PM by AngryPigeon »
Feb. 27, 2008
Fell on icy steps.

RPT from the bottom of the Patella
Ruptured Medial and Lateral Retiniaculum
Broken Fibula

Offline jgow

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2125 on: September 30, 2008, 11:18:54 PM »
Long time no post.  Ruptured Patellar Tendon...planting foot while kicking a ball on May 13th, surgery May 15th.  So give er' take, 4 months post surgery.  If you are new to this injury, this site can be overwhelming and a bit of a downer.  Be positive, locate a reputable surgeon and you will be well on your way to recovery.  I hope my success leaves you with a positive mindset.

My good leg has a ROM of 150 degrees and I reached 140 ROM on my injured leg yesterday.  I begin proprioceptive PT next week and my surgeon stated this is the high risk zone as your body begins feeling better and too much confidence could...well...no need to mention it.

I recall the days of never feeling like I'd get beyond 40 ROM...frustrating...but then once I hit 100 ROM, each week was a major milestone.

In regards to the injury being rare, I have since found out that two people (that I know well) also RPT and a third called me this morning to let me know...which prompted me to post a comment.

Although the first 6 - 8 weeks is rough (really rough) your quad tendon will begin responding and it is all down hill from there.  Listen to your body, listen to your PT and don't get too caught up in other peoples experiences...other than of course...knowledge being power.

Take pride in every milestone; the first time you are able to get up on your own and go to the bathroom, switching braces, no crutches, 10 ROM, 50 ROM, accidentally finding yourself jogging after the kids, etc.

As you know, too much research on the web creates anxiety.  This community allowed me to vent, learn, share, however I must admit...it caused a lot of anxiety as well.

Try to capture all of the positive amongst this community, create your own goals and the milestones will soon follow. 

Best regard,

JG

Ruptured patellla tendon on May 13, 2008
while striking a ball (planting foot - left leg).

Offline Kneeds

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #2126 on: October 01, 2008, 04:08:25 PM »
Good post jgow!  It's been a while since my last post as well.  I've been too busy doing activities with my leg that I couldn't do during the summer.  To refresh your memory I had a total rupture of my left patella tendon on May 2 and had it repaired May 6.  When I first started to research my injury I was also greeted with some horror stories and mostly negative information that would cause anxiety.  This is a horrible injury and some people are justified with the negative information they have presented however not every case turns out bad.
In my case I've almost completed my 5th month of recovery.  I achieved full range of motion at about the 14 to 16 week mark (145 degrees) and have been rebuilding my leg strength ever since.  I've returned to doing every activity I did pre-injury although my performance isn't up to previous standards (but is increasing steadily).  The important part is I'm able to do the things I love to do and it's only been 5 months.  I have virtually no pain in the patella tendon area and my knee tolerates the aggressive gym workouts and punishing activities I throw at it.
Although there is no positive side to this injury I hope my story can relieve some anxiety and paint a picture that recovery can be successful and there is potentially a happy ending.  Even if my knee isn't as good as it once was I will always strive to make it the best knee that it can be now and that endeavour will last the rest of my life.
Complete rupture of tendon (May 2008) just below the patella (surgeon indicated tendon was shredded and looked like the end of a string mop)

If nobody moves, nobody gets hurt.  I prefer to move and move fast!

Offline subail

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • The glass is always half full!
« Reply #2127 on: October 01, 2008, 05:37:48 PM »
Just to add to all the good vibes.

Here I am in the south of France nearly a year after surgery for RPT. We have been roaming around some pretty steep hill towns and although I am not necessarily making it all the way to the top, I am making it at least half way or more. My billy-goat husband has been going to the top and taking some breathtaking pictures of the hills and valleys of Provence.

This was my dream before my accident and here I am almost 2 years later fulfilling it.

I did extensive rehab before I left including acupuncture and muscle stim to make this possible and as you said, Kneeds, this knee may not ever be what it was (and that was no great shakes either) I am making the most of what I have right now.

I am proud of my efforts to get better and am so thankful that I have a partner who encourages me every day.

There is life after RPT!! Keep on with the good fight everyone!

Dislocation of left patella and as a result left patellar tendon rupture in the medial section/torn at both ends.
3 Previous surgeries-semitendiosis tenodesis
Reconstruction surgery left knee October 10 '07
TKR right knee May 25 '10.....successful!
Limited ROM/TKR left knee May 25 2015...successful.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #2128 on: October 01, 2008, 06:25:57 PM »
Hi Folks

Just adding my pennyworth - it`s pleasing that some folk have made such good progress after sustaining such a serious injury - true, we might never get back to 100% fitness, but does it matter - so long that we can lead a reasonable life with some limitations.

John

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Clos509

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2129 on: October 02, 2008, 11:31:13 PM »
Hello again everyone

Well Im now getting to the end of my 7th week post op, and my 3rd week of physical therapy.   my strength in my injured leg is becoming very strong.  Using the E stem machine on my quad has finally brought it back to life, although I am having concern in my range of motion.  Right now at 7 weeks I can push out a painful 55 degrees, and it seems like Im getting no where.  My PT says to just keep working on it and it seems like he is getting a little bit skeptical about my ROM gains.  I spend about 2 hours a day with an ankle wieght hanging off my ankle, and the PT pulls it until Im about to faint.  I started PT at 35 degrees, and by the end of week 2 I was at 50 degrees, and now a dead halt.  I know that ROM is very important and I am getting very discouraged about not getting much gain.  Should I be concerned at this early of physical therapy.  My bigest fear is a hospital manipulation. 

support