Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1428251 times)

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 218
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #2040 on: July 09, 2008, 07:47:08 AM »
Thank you Rob, maybe being retired gives me more opportunity to help others.

Best wishes

JohnK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline WADEAL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2041 on: July 09, 2008, 01:08:08 PM »
I ruptured my right patellar tendon on 1st Sept 2007. So 11 months on, here is the latest:

I'm 45 and prior to the injury I was a regular and pretty serious runner (mainly half marathons and 10ks) and I also did weights and martial arts. So I was pretty fit by anyone's standards.

An awkward trip blew the tendon to bits and after having it stitched back on, the recovery process began. Basically, that meant 8 weeks in a splint, on crutches and a load of phsyio (I've been discharged by my surgeon, but I'm still seeing the physio at the hospital - simply to monitor my progress).

At the moment I'm back to running fairly hard for 30 minutes a day on a treadmill and doing regular leg presses, leg extensions and leg curls at the gym twice a week, without feeling that I have to hold back (although the knee will occasionally buckle slightly).

The range of movement on the bad leg, isn't far from that of the good leg (1 to 2 inches difference) and I can manage a full normal squat  although it can be sore at the extremes if I stretch hard.

I was pretty strong to start out and one thing that encourages me is the fact that I'm running faster and lifting more weights than some of the others in the gym who were never injured - that's good for the mind after 5 months off work and hobbling around.

I still struggle a bit with walking down stairs, when I put the full body weight through the knee and the strength isn't equal in both legs yet (the thigh on the injured leg is still about 1 inch smaller in diameter than the other). It feels sore and rather like a hard spring than a normal leg, but it's a darn sight better than it was.

It also feels better (looser) after exercise (probably because it's fully warmed up), although I reckon that if I take a week's rest, as I intend to do in a couple of weeks time, it will start to feel close to how the other leg feels.

So there is hope. And while I don't feel that it will ever be 100% "normal" and I don't think I'd want to risk running another marathon again, I'd like think that there will come a point at which there will be moments when I can forget that I ever had the injury.

Regards

WADEAL     

Offline AngryPigeon

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2042 on: July 09, 2008, 06:44:13 PM »
Well this is my first post so a little background:

Feb 27th I slipped on some icy stairs (about 6-7 of them).  I ended up breaking my fibula along with rupturing my Patellar Tendon, Medial and Lateral Retinaculum sp?  Did the 8 weeks in a brace then started PT.  My quad has regained some strength but for the last month and a half I've had a real sharp pain where the medial tendon attaches to the tibia.  The pain is usually only there when I contract my quad real hard, and that makes straight leg raises impossible.

Just saw the doctor again today, and he said I may end up having to get it scoped to get rid of some scar tissue.  Has anyone torn all three as well?  Also as far as the scope goes does getting rid of the scar tissue get rid of the pain immediately?  Besides the obvious incision that is.
Feb. 27, 2008
Fell on icy steps.

RPT from the bottom of the Patella
Ruptured Medial and Lateral Retiniaculum
Broken Fibula

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #2043 on: July 09, 2008, 06:52:09 PM »
Welcome to the Ruptured Patella Tendon thread - essential that you read as many of the past posting to learn a great deal about your injury.

Just let me know if you require any rehab information.

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline rob2278

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
    • My MFPL journey
« Reply #2044 on: July 11, 2008, 06:25:41 AM »
Figured that since I'm here, I should share my patellar tendon rupture story.

Ruptured my right patellar tendon on April 12, 2008.  Also tore my quad off of my knee cap. (discovered during surgery)
Had surgery April 25, 2008. Repaired tendon by drilling 3 holes in kneecap and weaving tendon. Also reattached quad, and did a lateral release procedure.

After surgery, I was sent home in a hinged brace locked at zero. For the first week post-op I lived on my couch, habitually taking my oxycontin. I was able to bare weight on my leg the day after surgery, but tried to limit any weight baring since it was my ankle and calf that hurt (they were swollen and i was having some issues with poor blood circulation which caused great pain when I got up and stood on my leg)

At 10 days post op I began PT. Initial sessions were very light. Electric stim, some tissue massage, some initial ROM exercises, and assisted leg lifts. I was very hesitant to bend the knee at first, and building ROM was a slow go. I was instructed to get a CPM machine, and to begin at 40 degrees. By 3 weeks post op, I was at 45 degrees.. an uncomfortable 45 degrees.

At 3 and 1/2 weeks post op, I moved back into my apartment. I had been staying at my parents, since they had the room, and my mom was able to care for me 24/7. By this time I had moved from using the crutches, to walking with crutches, to walking with a crutch, to getting rid of them altogether. After a lot of work, I managed an unassisted leg lift at this time.(still in the brace)

Since I moved back to my apt, about an hour away, I started up with a new PT. Within 2 sessions he had me up and about without the brace, walking over small hurdles, doing very mini wall squats with the stabilizing ball, among others. A more aggressive approach to improving ROM was taken - I was literally placed on my stomach, and my PT bent my leg as far to my butt as it would go. A lot of screaming was involved. We also began some muscle stim, and was doing leg lifts without the brace.

I got permission from the doctor at week 4 post op to adjust my brace to 40 degrees, and to increase 10 degrees per week. I was also given permission to take off the brace while sleeping. At home, I was using the CPM machine 6 hours a day in 2 hour intervals.... slowly increasing the ROM.

At week 6 I had my first real post op check in with my doctor. My ROM was approximately 65-70 degrees. He was satisfied, but wanted me at 90 degrees ASAP. He encouraged me to be more aggressive with my ROM exercises. At 6 weeks, my quad was completely shot. I was able to do a leg raise (with lag) but my attempt at a leg extension was pretty poor.

After the doctors visit, I began spending a lot of time letting my leg hang off of chair. I'd let it hang for 5 minutes at a time. I noticed over a week that my leg definitely began lowering down. Once 5 minutes didn't bother me as much, I used light ankle weights to help push my leg down some more.  At PT, some additional ROM exercises were added. Besides the rope slide, and the exercise ball roll (on your back, feet on top of ball, move ball towards you) I was put on the leg extension machine. With the weight put at 5lbs, my PT would just let the bar press against my shin. It wasn't fun, but it helped with results. By 7 weeks post op I had hit 90 degrees.

Weeks 7-9 were a slow build towards more independence. My hinged brace was being adjusted to allow more and more bend. I was finally able to start going up stairs with both legs. (downstairs is taking more time) Walking was becoming easier. I finally was able to pedal a stationary bike at 7 1/2 weeks. At PT focus remained on ROM, but some initial quad exercises were introduced. Mini-leg extensions, step ups, the leg press, and some one-leg mini-dips were introduced. My ROM went from 90 at week 7 to 110 by week 9. My last day wearing my brace was 9 1/2 weeks post op. I finally got rid of the CPM machine and regained 6 hours of my life.

Week 10 I achieved a 120 ROM the day before my doctor's visit, with some real dedication. The doctor was very pleased with my ROM, and wasn't concerned with the lag that I still had with leg raises and leg extension.. claiming it will come back once the quad is worked some moreHe wants to see me at 16 weeks post op. Back at home I work on leg lifts, leg extensions and stair work. I go on daily 45-60 minute walks, and cycle at the gym 20 minutes a day. PT is still 3 times per week.

I'm now 11 weeks post op. Yesterday  I was measured at a comfortable 125 ROM (a little stiff, but definitely could had pushed to 130. I feel my knee getting better, but I know my journey is far from over. My knee is still significantly swollen, and it's stiff after about 110 ROM. It also gets sore when in one position for awhile (more so when bent at 90 or more). MY quad is still weak, and a lag is present. PT will begin focusing on quad strengthening, but I know I have a good 6 months of PT and gym work before I can have 2 close to equal legs.

I know I've written a book, but I also know that I've left out a lot of details. If anyone going through this injury has any questions, comments, or wants additional info, feel free to contact me. 
Knee History:

01/1990 - R Knee - removal of bone chips
05/1990 - L Knee - dislocation
Fall 1991- L Knee - 2 dislocations
12/1991 - L Knee - LR/MR
1992-2013 L Knee subluxations
04/2008 - R knee reconstruction (torn patellar/quad tendons)
04/2013 - L knee - dislocation
01/31/2014 -MFPL reconstruction

Offline Kneeds

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #2045 on: July 11, 2008, 07:47:28 PM »
9 week post op update:
Last night I achieved 121 degrees ROM!  This is a 15 degree increase since last week (more than the 10 degree increases per week that I have been averaging).  Iím pleased and puzzled by the gain.  I thought my progress would start slowing down instead of increasing.  I do spend on average 1 to 2 hours per day strictly stretching my tendon.  Mostly this is done during the evening when Iím resting.  I position my thigh so itís vertical (or more towards my chest) while sitting or laying on a couch and let gravity pull my lower leg down and often use my other leg to provide more downward pull using my other foot to pull down on my injured legs foot.  I let it hang there for about a minute and then straighten for about a minute (continued for 1 to 2 hours).
Iíve started more stationary cycling with is also helping to loosen up the knee.
For the most part all my daily living activities are back to normal.  Sports and high risk activities are the only things Iím not doing (and I am missing them)!
Stairs (without a hand rail) are no problem although going down requires a little more concentration than normal.
Iím continuing to increase the amount of strengthening activities for my quad but Iím still holding back from using excessive weight until my ROM gets closer to normal (145).
The best part is there are times now that Iíve forgotten Iíve sustained this injury (accompanied by reminders that itís still there and very real).

Kneeds
Complete rupture of tendon (May 2008) just below the patella (surgeon indicated tendon was shredded and looked like the end of a string mop)

If nobody moves, nobody gets hurt.† I prefer to move and move fast!

Offline laidupmama

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2046 on: July 13, 2008, 02:44:35 AM »
Hi everyone, I haven't posted in awhile glad to hear that everyone is healing well.  I had my surgery Jan. 17th and have been back to work since April 22nd I had a follow-up with my surgeon on July1st and he basically released me and did not reschedule me, just said that everything was good and to call if I feel like I need to come in, but to continue with strengthening.  I have not been to therapy in 3weeks, but my Pt wants me to keep coming for another 6 weeks (will consider it). 

At my last session I was measured at 134 degrees range of motion in my repaired leg and 136 in my good leg.  I still feel very stiff and tight on a regular basis and definitely gets sore when in the same position for a long period of time.  I try to go to the gym at least 3-4 times a week and work out on my own so that is why I am hesitant about continuing with therapy.  I have been brace free for about 3 weeks now, my OS thought I could be without it 6-8 weeks ago, but my PT thought I needed it for a while longer.  I will wear a small neoprene brace I bought at the pharmacy when I am going to be on my feet awhile for extra support.

I don't feel anywhere near being normal but definitely better, walking is not so much a problem, although I don't think I will be able to run or jog anytime soon.  My knee still feels like there is a wad of something stuck in there, but I have tried just playing around with my kids and by no means can I do it.  I feel so much more secure doing certain things with a small brace on for support.  I know I have come dependent on it while doing certain things but it helps me feel better.  I am not sure that my knee will be normal again but hopefully, I will continue to heal and be able to do more things.  Sue and John has been great supporters on this message board.
laidupmama :) :) :) :) :)
Slipped down stairs doing laundry, 1-16-08, surgery 1-17-08

Offline jgow

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2047 on: July 17, 2008, 03:02:31 PM »
RPT on May 13th, Surgery May 15th - 9 weeks post surgery.

Reached 110 ROM yesterday, good leg has 140 ROM.  My goal is 120 - 125 ROM on or before July 23rd.

As a suggestion, after you complete several streching exercies hop on a recumbent exercise bike.  My PT suggested it yesterday and it felt amazing. I began with 1/2 circles and once my confidence built up a bit, I was slowly doing full circles.

To all of you newbies, listen to all participants of this forum...knowledge is power.  However, establish your own goals and listen to your body...it is the ultimate source of speedy recovery.
Ruptured patellla tendon on May 13, 2008
while striking a ball (planting foot - left leg).

Offline Kneeds

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2048 on: July 17, 2008, 03:53:46 PM »
Week 10 post op update:

My recovery continues to proceed extremely well.  Last night during physio I achieved 135 degrees ROM!  My increases in ROM have been consistent except for the last two weeks in which its increased to approximately 15 degrees per week (from 10).  If I can continue this gain in the coming week I will be at full ROM (145).
One thing I forgot to add in my prior posts is that before I start my daily knee stretching I place a heating bag on my knee.  It is similar to a bean bag that is designed to be heated in a microwave oven.  I find that getting my knee good and hot really helps the ROM gains.
Once I reach full ROM (I'm being optimistic it will happen) I will really start stepping up the rebuilding of my quad.  I have been doing numerous things for increasing quad strength but have been holding back from what is truly required to get me back to where I started.
My commitment and tenacity to recovery from this injury by torturing myself for 1 to 2 hours everyday doing ROM stretching is really paying dividends.  I'm certainly not indicating I'm almost fully recovered however I'm well on my way.
For others with this injury I'm hoping this illustrates that if the surgeon did a good job with the tendon repair the recovery should go well if and only if you are committed to the recovery and push yourself beyond the comfort zone.

Kneeds
Complete rupture of tendon (May 2008) just below the patella (surgeon indicated tendon was shredded and looked like the end of a string mop)

Offline Kneeds

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2049 on: July 25, 2008, 03:57:09 PM »
11 week post op update,

I'm in the final stages of reaching my maximum ROM.  My progress last week (6 degree increase) was the least of any week so far but that is because I'm approaching my limit.  Last night I made it to 141 degrees ROM which is about 4 less than my good leg.  I will continue to force it to match my other leg and see no reason why it won't get there.
Now that I'm almost at full ROM I can really focus on rebuilding quad strength and size.  My knee seems to tolerate everything that I've thrown at it so far without too much protest so it's time for more intensity.  It still doesn't feel (or look) like a normal knee but it isn't a sensation of pain, more of an awareness that something is different.  It still feels tight at times and my knee cap sometimes feels like a foreign body attached to my knee.
My short term goals (month) are to increase cycling and elliptical performance and to start running/jogging on a tread mill.

Kneeds 

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #2050 on: July 25, 2008, 04:11:50 PM »
Well done - carry on

Best wishes

JohnK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline subail

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • The glass is always half full!
« Reply #2051 on: July 29, 2008, 11:10:48 PM »
Hey fellow RPTers

I haven't posted in awhile because things are continuing to get better every day. My ROM is in the neighbourhood of 125, my VMO is strong and I am continuing to do some physio to keep that strong.   ;D

Things that used to be somewhat troublesome such as curbs, inclined surfaces and stairs still pose some minor problems but I don't feel that they are enough to hold me back..I also don't go out of my way to challenge 'Leftie'...

We are headed to Provence in a couple of months and that will be my first indicator of how much I can do when it comes to travelling and getting back to what is 'normal' for me...wish me well...

See you back here in awhile....Sue  :-*
Dislocation of left patella and as a result left patellar tendon rupture in the medial section/torn at both ends.
3 Previous surgeries-semitendiosis tenodesis
Reconstruction surgery left knee October 10 '07
TKR right knee May 25 '10.....successful!
Limited ROM/TKR left knee May 25 2015...successful.

Offline AngryPigeon

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2052 on: July 31, 2008, 01:54:17 PM »
Hello all,

So I went back to the OS yesterday.  I've had quite a bit of pain where my Medial Retinaculum attaches to the tibia, and my Patella sticks while extending my leg.  Well the OS took three X-rays and found out that I have some severe Patella Alta on my repaired knee.  He said he will have to go back in and tighten up the tendon, along with scoping it to try to get rid of the pain around the Retinaculum.

Has anyone had to have their tendon "re-repaired" like this?  I'm skeptical to have him redo the tendon because I have great range of motion.  If he tightens it I'm sure I will be in a brace again and will have to start the ROM training all over.

Who knew that day back in Feb. that my life would be turned upside down like this. 
Feb. 27, 2008
Fell on icy steps.

RPT from the bottom of the Patella
Ruptured Medial and Lateral Retiniaculum
Broken Fibula

Offline Kneeds

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2053 on: July 31, 2008, 05:49:37 PM »
12 week post op update:

It's been another week of daily tendon torment with the hours of stretching and physical training.  After all that hard work the past week I was rewarded with a one degree increase (yes, just 1) in ROM!  At first this might seem particularly bad however my ROM is about 142 so I'm certainly not complaining and will be more than pleased if I continue to gain one degree a week until I reach my goal of 145.
My knee is handling the cycling and elliptical training without any protest.  I'm not setting any records but I can easily stationary cycle for 30 minutes and maintain a 90+ pedal cadence and maintain 180+ strides per minute on the elliptical for 30 minutes (both on light to moderate resistance).  I usually do both on the same day and start with the cycling.
Leg strength and tone is also improving.  I can once again see the separation in my quad muscles (but it still pales in comparison to my other leg).  I tried a few short runs just chasing my kids around the house and was surprised at how strange it felt.  I'm not sure how to describe it but there was a completely different sensation from my injured leg during the process (not pain, my whole leg/foot just felt unusual during the process).  The good news is my knee didn't seem to be bothered by it so now I can start working on regaining enough speed to catch my kids (4 and 7 years old) again (they seem to be much faster than they used to be LOL).
I'm starting my vacation tomorrow and will get some good knee rehab by walking on the sand and swimming!

Kneeds

Offline Gib

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2054 on: August 04, 2008, 01:45:13 PM »
Hi Guys.

I wish I'd have found this website whilst I was still off work, it would have helped with the boredom a lot. I ruptured my patella tendon on 27/04/08 and had corrective surgery on 02/05/08. It's been 14 weeks now since the injury and I'm finally walking without a limp and have even started running and cycling.

The reason I'm here is because I was wondering if anyone knows when I will be able to play football properly again? I've had a kick about with my mates but I cant kick very powerfully at all and I'm obviously not as mobile as I once was.

Has anyone who had this injury come back to play football again? I'm 26 by the way.

Many Thanks

And some advice to someone who has just ruptured their tendon: The worst part is over now, just lie back and enjoy your time off work and get ready for your rehabilitation, it can only get better going forward.