Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1260705 times)

Offline Lizard

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #690 on: April 28, 2005, 04:35:43 PM »
How soon you can return to work depends greatly on what you do for work and how you get there...  I stayed home three weeks (including 2 days at the hospital).  After that point, I was lucky enough to have a retired father who drove me to and from my office for another 6 weeks or so as I normally would take a  bus, a subway and walk about 20 minutes each way to and from my office.  That being said my job normally requires 40% travel and I didn't travel for work 3 mos.  I also applied for a temporary handicapped parking placard so I could drive myself to work and park there (downtown Boston) once I was able.  You might want to look into this option as for the first few months it makes things like grocery shopping and running errands much more possible.

Shawn - Any chance Dr. Troy is doing your surgery?  He did mine but at the Mount Auburn as he was on call there the day I went in but I know he normallly does his surgeries at Faulkner.  Email me off this site if he is doing your surgery, he has done many RPTs and I'd be happy to share more about my experience. 
Ruptured Patella Tendon - 12/26/2004
Surgery with wire - 12/27/2004
PT started - 2/11/2005
Wire removed - 3/16/2005

Offline ferris_1972

• Regular Poster
« Reply #691 on: April 28, 2005, 09:58:22 PM »
Well saw the anesthesia people today . The surgery is scheduled for tomorrow. My doctor is Webber , lizard . I haven't heard one bad work about him yet so that is a good thing.
Rupture Patellar Tendon 4/23/05
Repaired 4/29/05
PT Begins 6/1/05
Return to work 9/1/05

Offline imnotpunk

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • stupid knee!
« Reply #692 on: April 28, 2005, 10:16:22 PM »
kim --

I don't think any single thing pushed me towards filing suit against my ex-OS, rather, I felt as though I just didn't have the opportunity to do so. I had contacted three or four lawyers with my case, and each rejected me, saying there wasn't enough evidence to file a lawsuit. However, when I was reccommened my current lawyer (who is nationally recognized), I had a good feeling. He was definitely going to be my last shot though; if he said I had no case, I was just going to accept that and move on with my life.

It's not really the money that I'm looking for. Honestly, I want peace of mind. I want to be able to put this behind me now. While I understand that I'll never be able to completely forget about this, as it has drastically changed my life forever, I'd like to think that I can move on a bit. I tend to hold grudges, which unfortunately can make a person quite bitter, and I'll tell you right now -- I've been very bitter over this whole situation.

I know what my doctor did was wrong, and I think he should face the consequences of his wrongdoing. I don't think that he is a bad person, but he did make bad judgment that forever changed the life of a young person. It's not fair that I have to suffer for his mistakes. Literally speaking, he should pay.

Best wishes,
Patricia
R knee:
08/03-meniscal repair, LR
01/04-MUA, LOA
03/04-MUA
08/04-patellar tendon reconstruct. w/hamstring, menisci repairs, lateral/medial releases
10/04-MUA, LOA, debride., marsupialization, lateral release
12/04-MUA, LOA, meniscectomy
L knee:
09/05-meniscectomy, chondroplasty, microfracture

Offline imnotpunk

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • stupid knee!
« Reply #693 on: April 28, 2005, 10:36:59 PM »
And now for an update on my progress --

I saw the OS on Monday, he was not pleased with my progress but was not upset with me by any means; unfortunately my progress will be very slow because of the significance of my situation, but I think we're both starting to deal with that a little better now.

He was a bit upset with me, however, because I am overworking the knee. After over two years of little-to-no physical activity, I am starting to become VERY frustrated. I just want to be able to be active again, but it doesn't seem like that's ever going to happen. Anyways, because I have been doing a bit too much lately, I am wearing out my weak knee; I unfortunately sprained my LCL because of this (it's my own fault, I wasn't wearing my brace at the time...I should know better!). At least it's a minor sprain, but it's yet another setback for me. I had to cut out a good chunk of my program at PT -- my PT and my OS do not want to risk the possibility of tearing the LCL, so we're being more cautious than ever (if that's even possible...my doctor has already been extremely cautious with me to begin with!).

Aside from PT, I'm not supposed to really be on the knee for the next few weeks. I guess it helps that I am having my tonsillectomy in two weeks -- then I'll be forced to rest! It's going to stink losing the little bit of muscle I do have, but again, it's nothing new for me, unfortunately.

I guess I'll stop rambling now, but I'll try to give an update on everything as soon as possible. I probably won't be around too much after the surgery (it gives me an excuse to lay in bed for two weeks straight!), but once I'm feeling better I'll be back to my antics again. :)

Hope everyone else is doing well, and I'm always thinking of you guys and gals!

Best wishes,
Patricia
R knee:
01/04-MUA, LOA
03/04-MUA
08/04-patellar tendon reconstruct. w/hamstring, menisci repairs, lateral/medial releases
L knee:

Offline PAN

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #694 on: April 29, 2005, 04:18:14 PM »
Hi Folks ..

Just back from the hospital and the plaster cast is now off .. finally !! I'm now wearing a splint and still being told to take it easy and no bending of the kneee for a few more weeks .. at least that plaster is off though !!

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Pan

Offline SarahJane

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #695 on: April 29, 2005, 04:52:00 PM »
Hi Pan,   I remember how wonderful it was to have my cast taken off (a few weeks ago)

it felt absolutely wonderful to feel fresh air on my leg, and to be able to scratch!!   ;D

What sort of splint are you wearing?

Sarah
Jan 05: Avulsed Patella Tendon (YUK)
Wired together Feb 05
Constant pain after Cast removed
2nd Op Nov05 to remove a 2cm piece of Bone from my Patella Tendon!!!
2 months later STOP physio due to Pain & Crepitus
Feb 06: Ultrasound shows NO Patella Tendon!
No plans for the future! :-/

Offline smartguy1968

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #696 on: April 29, 2005, 09:50:39 PM »
OK I am 5 days post injury. My surgery is scheduled for this Friday. OS told me to expect 12-16 weeks before returning to work. I injured myself playing softball. What can I expect as far as recovery and PT. I would just like to thank everyone that has posted here it has helped alot knowing what I got myself into.

Thanks
Shawn

Shawn

Welcome to the "Club"! Each individual has his/her own timetable for healing. I'm 5 mos post injury/surgery. I injured my knee playing basketball. It's been a long, painful(physical therapy) process. But, if you stay positive, focused, listen to your OS and PT, you'll be fine. Do as much work(excercise) at home as you can. It helped me tremendously. I've made great progress so far, but I'm months away from resuming any sports activities. I'm more focused on healing fully to remain healthy. Feel free to ask anything here. This board is a great resource. Some additional info on my process/progress:

- Injury on 11/10/2004
- Repair on 11/14/2004
- Cast removed after 3 weeks; fitted with hinged brace set at 15 deg
- Returned to work (was able to drive with some flexion in leg)
- Started PT 3 wks after surgery
- Reached 90 deg ROM 2 wks into PT
- Reached full ROM after 6 wks into PT
- Released from PT after 2 mos
- Working out 3x a wk of personal program (stationary bike, leg weights, treadmill, elliptical)
- Take Glucosomine Chondroitin 3x a day, along with multi vitamin and 1000mg of vit C.

Take Care!

Offline smartguy1968

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #697 on: April 29, 2005, 10:05:02 PM »
As John stated....take it slow. My rehab was more aggressive because my OS and PT knew I wanted to get back to pre-injury status quickly, but I was very cautious and smart. I endured alot of pain to be where I am now. They stretched my leg until I nearly cried. ROM is so vital with this injury. My quad is still trying to make a comeback, but my ROM is completely back.

Bel well.

Offline imnotpunk

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • stupid knee!
« Reply #698 on: April 29, 2005, 10:12:23 PM »
As John stated....

I thought that's what I said. :P

Patricia :)
R knee:
01/04-MUA, LOA
03/04-MUA
L knee:

Offline Rosbif

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #699 on: April 30, 2005, 12:13:52 AM »
I was put into a removable plaster 2 days after op. This meant I could go on CPM machine immediately. Think that made a big difference in getting back full ROM. Went back to work after 5 weeks even though I had to use underground and bus to get there.
I'm 16 months post-op and still not fully recovered, but think thats because I've been very lazy on PT. Just went to PT again for first time in 8 months, but have been too pre-occupied with revising for Post-grad law exams to do the exercises. Will start properly after my exams. My aim is to play sport competitively in September.
Patella Tendon rupture when a drunk fell on my leg.
Open surgery repair with disolvable wire loop 29.01.04

Offline kdhfrank

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #700 on: April 30, 2005, 12:24:17 AM »
hey rosbif

so glad to hear one of the old timers is doing well!

kim

i am doing pretty good also!
L pat. dislocation, 1977;  run over by a car, L pat. dislocat., multiple burns & fxs, 1981; L knee scope, 8/03; L knee MUA, 10/03; L knee MUA & patellar tendon rupt; 6/22/04 lysis, debride, pat. baja!

Offline ferris_1972

• Regular Poster
« Reply #701 on: April 30, 2005, 01:24:11 PM »
OK one day post op. Feeling the pain right about now. I am in an immobilizer for the next 4-6 weeks until I start therapy. First night was tough. I was told that I was given a long acting pain agent around the incision. I do believe it is wearing off right about now cause the pain is increasing. I don't go back to see the OS until the 10th. I have an automatic pain pump inserted into my knee until I take it out tomorrow. Absolutely unbearable pain right after the surgery so they doped me up pretty good with Morphine , Phentynl, and Versed. Took WAY more than I expected to need. Dressing comes off tomorrow when I take the pump out. Any suggestions on better sleep would be welcome. All of a sudden this morning I felt as if someone had put my knee in a vise, just wondering if that was normal. Felt as if someone was repeatedly stabbing me in the center of my knee. OK well I guess I have gone on long enough, just wanted to give an update. Talk with all of you later.

Shawn
Repaired 4/29/05
PT Begins 6/1/05
Return to work 9/1/05

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #702 on: April 30, 2005, 02:03:04 PM »
Hi Shawn

Glad you made it to day one after op -   would suggest that place a pillow/cushion between your legs and sleep with a pillow between your legs -

Other than that, keep the leg up on a stool and "Dont" put any weight on your leg.

Keep posting - we are all rooting for you

Best wishes
JohnK/Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline ferris_1972

• Regular Poster
« Reply #703 on: April 30, 2005, 08:51:45 PM »
Ok can someone tell me if my leg feeling like it is on FIRE!!!!!!!! is normal. I am assuming it is since I dont have a fever or anything but WOW is that unpleasant. If anyone can tell me how long that feeling lasts or any way to help it from feeling that way I will be forever in your debt.

Shawn
Repaired 4/29/05
PT Begins 6/1/05
Return to work 9/1/05

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #704 on: April 30, 2005, 09:42:10 PM »
Hi Shawn

Place some ice cubes in a towel and then place it on your knee - this will cool it down somewhat -

This should do the trick

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK
« Last Edit: April 30, 2005, 10:10:36 PM by John42 »
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon