Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1196799 times)

Offline RuptureLife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 35
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #6495 on: April 20, 2018, 07:35:53 PM »
Stuart, hey and thanks for the reply. I am honestly not pushing that hard, I have been weight bearing since about the second day after surgery. I have been lucky to not have pain, I stopped pain pills three days after surgery and I haven’t needed any aspirin or ibuprofen for almost two weeks now. At the 3 weeks, I could walk without any aide; mind you, I do use a cane outta caution not necessity. I have also started some bending exercises because I felt good and know the sooner I can start passive rom, the less scar tissue I will build. I am not pushing hard, just to the point of tension and then just a pinch more. I don’t understand why my progression is shocking, I am not forcing anything, I am listening and respecting my knee and it seems to like what I have been doing. Like I said, no pain and no swelling, my knee isn’t even much larger than the other. I am going back to work next week and I am also starting mini-trampoline work next week too, I will keep you posted. I also, think a huge reason I am progressing so well is due to the multiple massages I give my knee each day. Best wishes.

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #6496 on: April 20, 2018, 07:51:28 PM »
RL, my life story/knee history is on the RQT thread , but in a nutshell; I was back at work 3 days post-op (self employed), no painkillers, although my surgeon pressed a prescription for 40 Oxycodone on me at discharge,  and hiking a tough mountain, up only, tram down, at 6 weeks. I still relied on an adjustable brace, just in case! A simple slip could be disastrous at this juncture. Almost 5 years later I haven’t regained the confidence I once had, on the deck of a sailboat.
 I tend to be the voice for pushing the envelope on this thread, but would still advocate an adjustable brace as a lifeline!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline RuptureLife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6497 on: April 20, 2018, 08:21:30 PM »
Stuart, I totally understand and agree but, I am not hiking or anything like that, I am only walking indoors on even surfaces. I understand the risk and I do not move quickly or without thought, I feel confident in my abilities but I am still cautious too. I go back to my surgeon next week and if he gives me a rom brace I will use it while outside and at work. If he doesn’t I will just have to continue to be extra cautious for a few more weeks. Like I have said previously, I still use a cane for safety and it gives me support when the knee is fatigued at night. I do appreciate your concern and it is valid, I do realize I am taking a risk but, I am going slowly and with caution. I have more fear of taking an overly cautious approach and having too much scar tissue and muscle atrophy, than I do taking chances in a knee sleeve versus a brace. I am in control and I trust my judgment and abilities, trust me, I am no rebel... I just can’t sit still and have to feel like I am progressing and not stagnating. Take care.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6498 on: April 23, 2018, 09:18:33 AM »
Hi Folks

A reminder - for good selection of documents covering details of your injury and the rehab procedure go to -----

Learning portfollio -

General articles -

Great links for quads/patella tendon rupture -

General articles

This was put together by myself and KneeGuru.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline RuptureLife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6499 on: April 26, 2018, 06:02:24 PM »
Hello! Yesterday was four weeks post-op for me and I also had my 2nd post-op follow up visit with my surgeon. My surgeon was not happy about the fact I could not do an unassisted leg lift. So now he is sending me to physical therapy and said in four more weeks my ROM should be 90 degrees. I was shocked... currently I can only achieve s bend of only 10-15 degrees!

I am doing daily assisted leg lifts, I am try to do heel slides (10-15 degree movement), I can walk fairly well without crutches or a cane. I thought I was doing well but my Doc was still disappointed I couldn’t raise my leg at week 4.

Offline RuptureLife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6500 on: April 28, 2018, 10:44:25 AM »
Hey y’all,

Huge milestone achieved last night, just 4 weeks & 2 days post-op, I was able to do 10 leg lifts.... without any assistance! This has been a goal of mine and my surgeons too, since week two. I can also achieve a knee flexion in the range of 20 degrees, once warmed up and after some pt and stretching. I am still and have been since week 2.5-3, walking around indoors without the full leg immobilizing brace or my crutches. Next, I want to increase my flexion to a range of 45-50 degrees, that will allow me to walk with a more natural/normal gait. Once I achieve this, I plan on beginning to walk short to intermediate distances outdoors, at least a mile maybe more if I feel good. In the interim, as a smaller goal, I want to be able to sit in a chair and have enough knee flexion to be able to place my foot flat on the floor and not have to rest it on it’s heal any longer. I could almost do it this morning, I think I should be able to achieve this small goal in the next few days. Best Wishes!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 10:47:10 AM by RuptureLife »

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6501 on: April 28, 2018, 12:14:02 PM »
Hi Phil

You are making progress  - suggest that you purchase a floor cycle through Amazon - costs about 30 quid - sit in your favourite chair and pedal away.

Best/ JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline RuptureLife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6502 on: May 02, 2018, 05:56:04 PM »
Hey Y’all,

Today is 5 weeks post-op and I feel great and have made huge progress and achieved milestones ahead of schedule. I have been outta the brace for 2 weeks now, I am walking with a more normal stride now, doing 100 independent leg lifts daily, gently working on increasing knee flexion daily, massaging knee 3x daily, using my gau sha tool daily, and more to help me get these results.

The best milestone I have achieved so far is, 45 degree knee flexion! I was at physical therapy yesterday and they measured me and I could achieve a 45 degree bend, they were happy and impressed.

Next, I want to be able to drive my manual transmission truck by June 1st or sooner.

Best wishes to all!

-Nic

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6503 on: May 02, 2018, 06:36:29 PM »
Hi nic

You are on track with 45ROM, however word of warning, don`t attempt driving until you have the all clear from your OS, otherwise, you could invalidate your insurance cover.

Once you start driving, place the driving seat right back.

Carry on with the good work, but remember - PATIENCE

Best/ JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline RuptureLife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6504 on: May 02, 2018, 06:43:56 PM »
Thanks John. That is good advice and I will stay in constant communication with my surgeon about being cleared to drive. I am still being patient but, I also like to gently push myself, I only do what my knee allows. Best thing you ever wrote on here was, “Always listen to your knee” simple but sage advice.

Thank you,
Nic

Offline RuptureLife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6505 on: May 07, 2018, 10:36:49 PM »
Today was my 4th physical therapy session and when the therapist took my flexion measurement, I achieved a 64 degrees passive flexion. I am very pleased with this progress. I am also happy I didn’t stay in the immobilizing brace, after week 3, I was outta the brace and began incremental flexion exercises. I know it is common practice for people to stay in their full leg immobilizing brace for 6 weeks but, I think that isn’t good for everyone. This Wednesday will be 6 weeks post-op for me, if I had stayed in that brace, I can assure you my flexion would be somewhere around 10-15 degrees not, 60+ degrees.

I guess what I am getting at is, think about getting out of you immobilizing brace ASAP.

Best Wishes,
Nic

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6506 on: May 07, 2018, 10:49:00 PM »
Nic, there is an alternative to the immobilizing brace that allows a predetermined degree of flex. That is what I used from week two, and all through my first winter of hiking in the snow. Well worth the expense, for the peace of mind.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline RuptureLife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6507 on: May 07, 2018, 11:47:42 PM »
Hey Stuart, I am going back for my 3rd post-op visit with my surgeon tomorrow, I plan on asking him about writing a prescription for me to get one. Otherwise, I do not have the money to purchase one out of pocket. Luckily, I suffered my patellar tendon rupture while at work and my surgery and other expenses are covered through Workers Compensation Insurance. If he writes a script for me, I will gladly get one and use it but, otherwise I will just go without and be extra cautious for a few more weeks. I am a public school teacher in America, we barely make enough to stay out of poverty.

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6508 on: May 08, 2018, 02:18:49 AM »
Nic, time to move up to Canada. At least our medical is reasonable. Both my parents were teachers, in West Africa, and then here in Canada, and my late daughter worked in one of the last one room schoolhouses in Manitoba, so I hear you loud and clear. Must confess I was given mine by a neighbour who deals in orthopaedics, so was spared the cost. Must ask though, what price you would pay, not to repeat this experience?
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline Bascat

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 99
  • Bilateral patellar tendon rupture playing TOUCH ru
« Reply #6509 on: May 09, 2018, 07:40:46 PM »
Just thought I'd check in on here. Last week was 2year anniversary since the double snap snap! Knees aren't what they used to be, but all in all recovery is not too bad. I can't really run but have discovered other forms of recreation like the gym and circuit training. General day to day stuff is fine. It could be worse!
Knees together and take the fall

support