Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1261448 times)

Offline bryce73

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 38
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #5655 on: May 21, 2015, 07:56:52 PM »
Hi, geez I thought that'd closer to 1,5/2 months.  :-\  I'll for sure follow the instructions of my OS but that'll be problematic for me to go working and to the PT!

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5656 on: May 21, 2015, 10:21:50 PM »
Hi bryce

Think about the requirement to do an emergency stop - you need some power which originates in your legs - so clear it with your OS

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline champerington

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #5657 on: May 22, 2015, 04:40:30 PM »
Hi all,

Newbie to the forum but unfortunately not to a RPT (Ruptured mr right PT 8 years ago). I ruptured my left PT on the 10/5/15 and had surgery the following day (11/5/15). I am now 11 days Post op and seen my consultant today. He is happy with wound but requires me to stay in straight leg brace for another 4 weeks, with no bending.

I've done a lot of reading and researching on the injury since my first RPT and it seems like there is a lot of contrast in rehab protocols.

I appreciate i probably can't ignore the consultant and bend the knee before 6 weeks but what exercises can i be dong in the interim?

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5658 on: May 22, 2015, 05:30:15 PM »
Hi champerington

Welcome to the RPT thread on KneeGuru - Sorry to read that you have sustained this rare and serious injury for the second time.   

There are no protocols for the first six weeks when one is in a plaster cast or in a brace other than resting and I assume that you are using crutches.

At the six week mark after removal of the brace, your ROM should be in the region of 30/40ROM and then PT will begin.

Having gone through this injury 8 years ago, you are aware of what time frame is required to reach near pre injury status - a minimum of six moths and perhaps a few months longer.

How did you sustain this injury?  Where do you live.

Please do keep posting - ASK questions - we are here to help you.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

P.S.  Do read the contents of the documents which I have put together with KneeGuru.
https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 07:52:48 PM by John42 »

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Dan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #5659 on: May 22, 2015, 06:33:11 PM »
It's been a couple weeks since I posted, because I haven't had any good news to report.
My ROM hasn't been improving, so when I saw the Dr on Wednesday we decided to schedule an arthroscopic procedure to clean the scar tissue out of my knee.
Followed by a CPM machine and daily therapy visits.
The bad part is I have to wait 3 weeks, the first opportunity to get this done is June 11th.
Jan 8, 2015 slipped on wet floor, tore right patellar tendon
Jan 12, 2015 surgical repair of tendon
Mar 6, 2015 cable removal
Mar 16, 2015 begin physical therapy
May 20, 2015 stopped PT due to lack of progress
Jun 11, 2015 arthroscopic scar tissue removal
Jun 12, 2015 resume PT

Offline champerington

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5660 on: May 23, 2015, 10:54:58 AM »
Thanks for the welcome John.

Yes on crutches but i'm managing with just the one, bearing full weight, even able to 'scuffle' without any.

Yes, i'm very are of the long road ahead. Really my aim is to get back to being able to lead a normal life (excluding sport). I suffered the injury whilst playing football. Fairly innocuously really. Just went to change direction and pop. I had been tender for a few weeks so knew it was inevitable.

I'm in Northern Ireland.

What is this CPM machine that some members refer to? It's never been mentioned to me.

Can i be doing anything to help activate/fire the quad muscles?

Also can someone clarify the following protocol in terms of knee flexion. It seems to be saying flexion is possible a lot sooner than the 6 weeks?

http://www.uwhealth.org/files/uwhealth/docs/pdf6/sm_pat_tendon_quad.pdf

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5661 on: May 23, 2015, 02:06:07 PM »
Hi Champerington

I would be very wary of trying to undertake any exercises in the first six weeks, before your brace is removed - bear in mind that the tend takes up to fourteen weeks to heal and even then, one must listen to the knee.   

Ask your PT/OS the question, if you can undertake any physio before six weeks - doubt it !!

I have heard of a CPM machine I would however invest in a floor cycle for part of your rehab - this you can purchase on Amazon for about 30, but works wonders.
Take care
JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline bryce73

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5662 on: May 23, 2015, 03:27:20 PM »
Hi all,
regarding exercises during the first 6 weeks after surgery I would also agree with John42. However, I also read that people who have some kind of protection (wire) could start very early on mobilization which has a beneficial effect on the recovery.

Personnally, despite I don't have that protection (but my tendon was not totally cut though), I thought some very gentle exercises during the immobilization period could be beneficial. Actually, what I do are quad settings and gentle patella mobilization with my hand. I believe these "exercises" are so gentle that they couldn't hurt. 

What I also do but that is my own personnal choice is very gentle bending of my knee done with my hands lifting my knee no more than 3/4 inches from the extended position. I do this as to never feel a tension on my tendon, my goal being just to entertain some kind of little movement of the knee, as I thought very light movements would help and prevent scar tissues to adhere.

I also apply 3 times a day some cold on my knee to cool down the inflammation (I didn't take AINS and very little pain killers, just a few days after the injury)

As I said, this is my own choice, as I believe these can't hurt me as I'm very cautious with what I do and started only 10 days after the surgery. Any thoughts about it?

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #5663 on: May 23, 2015, 07:07:30 PM »
I feel I need to appeal to John42 for clarification on the differences in rehab between RQT and RPT rehab. Is the RPT repair really that much more fragile than the Quad rupture. Some of the posts I am reading are so dramatically at odds with my RQT experience I am having trouble believing these structures are actually linked together! Newcomers can tap on my name for my history.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5664 on: May 23, 2015, 08:02:01 PM »
Hi Stuart Rulka

I was given to understand a long time ago, that the rehab procedures were very similar, but the Patellar Tendon always takes a larger strain as the body weight goes downwards.

I recall there is more detail if you care to look at the documentation which I produced together with KneeGuru.

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture >:(

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #5665 on: May 23, 2015, 10:18:07 PM »
Thanks John42 for the prompt reply.i have reread the posts which served to confirm my view that speed is indeed of the essence, both with regard to surgery and particularly to rehab!
 For the benefit of the Newbies I would like to reassert my view that in mho the PT is more important than the Surgeon when it comes to rehab. There may be particular circumstances during surgery which dictate a more cautious approach, but in the main I think surgeons are too conservative. I would recommend that newcomers research their PTs carefully then contact them as soon as possible to initiate therapy.
Blissfully ignorant of what was "normal" I followed the guidance of my expert PT who sat me on a bike at 2 weeks, pedalling gently to and fro; completed a full revolution at 3 weeks, and was back hiking, uphill only, at 6 weeks. I was back at work, brace locked, 3 days after full RQT surgery. Such are the beauties of being self-employed!
   Granted I was very fortunate, but because of the aggressive approach did not lose as much muscle tone as I would have otherwise.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5666 on: May 23, 2015, 10:34:20 PM »
Hi Stuart Rulka

I would just like to add a comment -

Ask your PT - have you seen this type of injury before?

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline champerington

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5667 on: May 24, 2015, 10:38:30 AM »
I'm now 13 days post op. My consultant told me i was ok to wash but i forgot to ask if a bath is allowed. Anyone confirm if its safe to do so?

Offline bryce73

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5668 on: May 24, 2015, 07:15:46 PM »
thanks for sharing Stuart Rulka. Indeed there seem to be a very early rehabilitation method and a more conservative one. But there are also so many different surgeries for repairing the patellar tendon, and each patient being unique in his case (wound, age...), I believe that would also explain that one could starts rehabilitation earlier than others...Nevertheless, I prefered doing gentle exercises rather than staying with my leg motionless the whole immobilization period. But as I said, these exercises are very gentle, so I believe they won't hurt me but on the contrary will help with the recovery.

One other thing in France is that in order to start PT, you have to be delivered a paper by a physician who prescribes you PT rehabilitation (at least to be refunded by the social insurance), physician who in this case is the OS. So you can't start PT on your own if it hasn't been prescribed by the OS. I'll see my OS next week and will then know if I can start PT (that will be 3 & 1/2 weeks post injury/op). Hopefully, I'll be able to! If that so I think that would be only passive and progressive mobilization of the knee first?

As an aside, to help with the recovery I also take some homeopathic drugs and horsetail (I read that it was helping the collagen synthesis)

Offline agold55

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 33
« Reply #5669 on: May 26, 2015, 06:03:48 PM »
First time on this blog. 
I suffered bi-lateral patellar tendon injuries.  Left was ruptured and right was badly torn.
Was lucky enough to have sugery about 16 hours after the injury.
It's be 5 weeks and a day since my surgery.  Locked in straight braces.

PT in the hospital had me up and walking 2 days after surgery, doing quad squeezes.
After 1 week in home PT had me walking with braces on, using a walker, doing side leg raises, rear leg raises and calf raises.  Most difficult part was getting out of a chair.  Pretty easy to get out of a chair or wheelchair with arms....pretty much just use upper body to lift myself up.
Dr saw me at 4 weeks and okayed going to out patient PT.  Dr said the PT was ok to take my legs to 40 degrees between weeks 4-6.  Was able to let her move knees to 40 degrees without much pain.  She also had me walking with a walker, doing side leg raises, rear slow kicks and calf raises. 

Going back to Dr at 6 weeks for check up.
Was checking on other who had bi-lateral or uni-lateral Patellar surgery, to see if anyone has any pointers around rehab, a supplement called Cissus, the use of a T-Unit for muscle stimulation, or helpful / un-helpful exercises encountered.
Looking forward to hearing back.

Thanks so much!
Allen