Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1261591 times)

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #5235 on: March 23, 2014, 08:19:12 PM »
Fishy here, week 46 begins.....no gym but home elliptical and hydro workouts have helped greatly.  Went mall surfing with grandbaby in tow....carried here up and down two floors of stairs...carried here in food court, carried her shopping.... unremarkable in as such it was just a fine day...legs are stronger, Alaska has not had that cold of a winter so spring is slowly creeping up, less ice to worry about.  All in all, life is returning to normal.  Still working on diet (no weight loss to report, but I have stuck to the 1200 calorie diet that works for me).  Gotta get back to the grandbaby...yes, she is adorable!  Bob

Offline Unlimited6986

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #5236 on: March 23, 2014, 08:25:31 PM »
Hi guys/girls my names rob. Ruptured my PT 11/22 surgery was 12/2. Tomoroow will be 16 weeks I believe. Happened when I was playing basketball. I'm a very active basketball player and crosfitter. I'm in PT 3x a week, currently with pt bending me I'm at 128 and pulling myself I'm at 118. Getting frustrated now that I'm not in the 130's yet. I'm 27 6'5" and weigh 205-210. Am I still on a good pace for where I am now. I got back to PT tomoroow and hoping for 130's.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 08:27:56 PM by Unlimited6986 »

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5237 on: March 23, 2014, 09:17:01 PM »
Welcome to Unlimited 6986 - hey 128ROM at 16 weeks is very good - but take your time - listen to your knee - we don`t want to re rupture.

Where do you live ?   keep posting   

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #5238 on: March 23, 2014, 09:42:15 PM »
Hey Rob, welcome to the club.  Pay attention to your knee...Patience, RICE, humor and knowledge will get you healed.  At 27 you are on the opposite end of the scale from me at 67....but we both have the same drive to recover from this event.  John42 is our mentor...if you don't listen to anyone else follow his lead and you will do just fine.....Bob

Offline Unlimited6986

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5239 on: March 23, 2014, 10:18:57 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm in NY. Just gonna keep doing what I'm doing now. Can't wait to get better, it's a long process and I feel better each day.

Offline bballkingofnba

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #5240 on: March 23, 2014, 11:43:21 PM »
Hi Rob,

I am also an avid basketball player and tore up my knee in a car crash. Also in the NY area. Personally, all I can say is do not rush your recovery at all. Take your time to come back stronger and even though the injury blows initially, it will start to feel normal in another few months. Which surgeon did you end up choosing in ny? Did you go to HSS?

Offline Unlimited6986

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5241 on: March 24, 2014, 12:51:35 AM »
What's HSS? I went to a Dr. Coleman at orthopedic association of America in Poughkeepsie where I live. Couple people recommended me to him.

Offline Unlimited6986

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5242 on: March 24, 2014, 12:53:15 PM »
Also forgot to mention I had a DVT blood lot in my left calf, same leg as PT. Just got off the coumadin 2-3 weeks ago. Dr had me on it for 3 months. So that didn't help my problem too.

Offline Jmac780

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #5243 on: March 25, 2014, 04:20:28 AM »
John42 I've been driving since week 8. My rom is about 130 degrees. I've been at work since the beginning of March started at 4hrs now back to full time.

Offline bballkingofnba

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5244 on: March 25, 2014, 08:27:37 PM »
Yikes Blood clot does not sound fun, but glad you are past that. I didn't have any of that but I think I had a really unqualified therapist who excessively worked on flexion and did no work on extension and a year later I realized that my leg wasn't fully straight when I walk. Benn aggressively working on it for the past few months and now at a point where ppl cant tell a difference but I can feel the tightness.

Do all you have equal hyperextension in both legs? Also, how does you injured kneecap sit compared to uninjured one.. higher or lower?

Offline Jmac780

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #5245 on: March 25, 2014, 11:09:07 PM »
Hey has anyone had issues with subluxation?  I'm starting to notice this happening more and more often.

Offline bballkingofnba

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5246 on: March 26, 2014, 12:52:11 AM »
I do a little bit. I think it's due to my kneecap being a tad bit higher.... When I contract my quads really right I hear a clunk

Offline Unlimited6986

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5247 on: March 26, 2014, 12:57:52 AM »
Mine sits a little lower I think, it's not off by much. Never had a problem getting the leg straight and flat. I had pt on Monday and hit 130 with them pushing and holding it. By myself I'm right around 120.

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
« Reply #5248 on: March 27, 2014, 07:21:58 PM »
bball, I cant answer the knee cap height since I have the scars on both legs from the surgery, but the extension issue is touched on in this thread and in some of the literature.  My PT and OS both made sure I was working on extension, mostly with passive heal resting,  as the extension issue can make walking look a little less normal.  I still have issue with a hyperextension problem when my leg does not catch.  I sort of get that falling feeling and have to catch myself.  I have noticed that as the changes in strength and proprioception vary between both of my legs as I have rehabbed and although there is less occurence, I still get the wobbly leg feeling.

6986, I did the self injecting blood thinning med for 2 1/2 months and then a daily 325 aspirin since.  I was taking an 81 mg and will take that once I see the OS on 4/8.  And my passive and active flexion varied by a little more than 10 degrees, but it was not that far off.

On a brighter note, 4 softball practices this week and did good, except not being able to run or get into the catchers crouch to get my work in with the pitchers, but if I was not sitting on the bucket, I was able to work with the girls on mechanics.

And one question.  Does anyone else have loud clicking sounds and popping from the repaired knee or knees?  Starting to get a little worried with all the clicking.

Tom
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

Offline dtr42

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 87
« Reply #5249 on: March 27, 2014, 10:53:01 PM »
Hi peeps week 22[5month since snap day this sunday 30th]Have done my first full jog /run today in the gym with a decent run motion no hip-hop knee jerks got up to 14km/h for 5minutes then back to my usual 10km/h pace for another 15minutes no pain no rubber band tightness, have finally got the rom to141 degree's so only 5 degree short of my good leg after my swim/sauna routine. knee still has pop's,groans and squeaks but physio reckons it's just the knee settling down and will  get less noisy over the coming months .Surgeon happy and no more surgery  ;D physio cut down to twice a month  and from next month she reckons I will be once or twice a year just to keep an eye on it ,She also reckons the hill walking and mountain climbing will be good to go in June if my progress keeps on the way it is doing [although I may need more confidence to go back on the hill's than I have at the moment .Keep well and remember you are all survivors of a bad injury but it is only a sore knee  after all ::) ;D