Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1179920 times)

Offline imnotpunk

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • stupid knee!
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #510 on: January 11, 2005, 02:03:53 AM »
Heh, guess you guys thought you were done hearing me complain, but I always find something new to vent about!  :o

So, I saw the OS on Friday. He seems pleased with my progress, which is great and everything, but I feel like he is starting to get ahead of himself. He told me to discontinue use of the CPM and start going to PT only 3x a week instead of 5x. This confused me because I'm still really struggling with getting AND maintaining ROM, I don't feel like I'm ready to give up the CPM or go down to PT 3x a week yet.

I think my OS was a little stressed out though and may have not been thinking; he had been on vacation the week before and was very backed up with his patients. He's already overworked as it is, but this past week he's been over his head with patients and surgeries, so I think he may have told me the wrong things. I talked to my PT about it today and she agreed with me, she thinks I'm not ready to give up the CPM or go down to PT 3x a week. She told me to call my OS and explain the situation, hopefully he'll agree and let me continue using the CPM. In terms of the PT, I still have a month left on the previous script so for now at least I can still go everyday. Maybe after the script is up I WILL be ready to go 3x a week, so at least that situation was aleviated.

Anyways, sorry for rambling here, I'm just a bit confused and frustrated myself. I love my OS, but he tends to go back on a lot of the things he says -- he works too much for his own good. He's such an incredible man, he wants to help out as many people as he can, but sometimes you need to draw a line, he shouldn't be overworking himself this much and it's not fair to his other patients either because they have to wait so long to see him sometimes and end up getting mixed up information. He's never done anything WRONG, but more often than not I will receive a call from him or be asked to come back into the office because after "thinking it over", he decided to go another route or do something else. It can be frustrating sometimes.

Okay, my little rant is done, I'm stepping off the soapbox. Thanks for listening guys and gals, it really means a lot. I'm so thankful I found this board and the people I've gotten to know both on and off the board, you all really have helped me out SO much.

Hope everyone is feeling well!

Best wishes,
Patricia  ???
R knee:
08/03-meniscal repair, LR
01/04-MUA, LOA
03/04-MUA
08/04-patellar tendon reconstruct. w/hamstring, menisci repairs, lateral/medial releases
10/04-MUA, LOA, debride., marsupialization, lateral release
12/04-MUA, LOA, meniscectomy
L knee:
09/05-meniscectomy, chondroplasty, microfracture

Offline smartguy1968

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #511 on: January 11, 2005, 04:34:04 PM »
Hi RPT Members!

I hope everyone's progressing well in the New Year. Here's my latest progress report with history:

Rupture tendon on 11/10/04 playing basketball.
Had surgery on 11/14/04.
Cast removed 11/30/04.
OS recommended hinged brace removed after 6 week follow-up with OS on 12/30. He's very pleased with my progress.
Completed 1 month of very agressive PT (going 3x week) yesterday (1/10).
ROM is 120 as of yesterday. I'm doing all active PT. PT projects about 1 more month of PT.

My knee feels great after nearly 8 weeks post-op. I figure I'll be back to pre-injury status in 6 mo.

Patricia - I always like to hear your progress. Hang in there.

smartguy

Offline imnotpunk

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • stupid knee!
« Reply #512 on: January 11, 2005, 07:53:39 PM »
Well everyone, I'm feeling a bit better today. After PT I decided to stop by the office seeing as it's right across the hall from the PT center and I talked a bit with my doc's secretary after (he's in surgery today, he wasn't in the office). She said not to worry at all and that she'd take care of EVERYTHING; I can keep the CPM for as long as I need. She'll make sure that the prescription for the CPM doesn't get cancelled and she'll let me OS know that I *do* still need the CPM. My PT says I definitely need to hang on to it, and I'd just feel more comfortable myself with it around. Granted, I don't LIKE being in the CPM, but I know it's good for my forever-struggling ROM; I can't afford to lose any more ROM or build up even MORE scar tissue at this rate, I don't want another surgery for a LOOOONG time!

smartguy - Go YOU! Sounds like you're doing amazing! It puts a smile on my face to see you guys making a lot of progress, I'm really happy that there does seem to be hope for us fellow RPT Members. I hope you continue to improve, and it sounds like you are well on your way to the road of recovery. Hoorah for you! :) Keep us updated with your progress, we love hearing how you are doing!  ;D

Hope everyone else is feeling well!

Best wishes,
Patricia
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 07:54:04 PM by imnotpunk »
R knee:
01/04-MUA, LOA
03/04-MUA
08/04-patellar tendon reconstruct. w/hamstring, menisci repairs, lateral/medial releases
L knee:

Offline smartguy1968

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #513 on: January 11, 2005, 08:41:58 PM »
Hang tough Patricia! Easier said than done, but you must take each day as a new challenge. When I first was injured and the OS told me the "process", I was so distraught because I didn't want surgery or a cast or PT. There was no other way so I prepared myself physically and mentally for the long haul. When an active person can't get around as "normal", it drives them crazy and that's how I was. I was in a hurry to heal fast, but I didn't do anything to jeopardize the healing process. I'm being aggressive and smart.

Each of us is different. I'm still a long way from 100%. Just taking it one day at a time.

Be Well!!!

Offline Manxman

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
  • Nil patella carborundum...
« Reply #514 on: January 12, 2005, 12:49:12 AM »
Anyone had experience of a snapped stabilising loop? Finally convinced the medics something was wrong - and the good news is that it's just that, a snapped loop. Options were to leave it or operate. Currently awaiting operation (who knows when). I'm reluctant to push the physio exercises with a snapped piece of wire in the tendon --- butu would be grateful to hear of anyone's experiences....

Cheers 8)
Two tendon ruptures!
One - right leg - eight years ago - fully recovered.
Left leg patellar tendon rupture 26 August, '04. Op Aug 30. Out of hospital Sept 3

Offline imnotpunk

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • stupid knee!
« Reply #515 on: January 12, 2005, 01:06:31 AM »
smartguy -
Oh you better believe it's a slow process! I'm going on two years now with a severely injured knee, six surgeries, reconstruction, screws, scar tissue, infections, plastic surgery -- you name it, I've pretty much had it or had it done! My tendon reconstruction was in August, I'm still barely able to do a SLR because of all the complications and surgeries I've had since. It stinks, but I've learned to cope with it and stay positive. It's definitely hard at times and I so badly want to just throw in the towel, but I know that'll solve nothing. Gotta keep our chins up, it WILL get better! :)

I've been getting pretty antsy myself, wanting the darn thing to just heal and become strong again so I can go back to doing the things I love. Only problem is, my expectations are a bit unrealistic at this stage of the game. You are right, we all are different in terms of injury and recovery. As opposed to many of those in this thread, my tendon rupture happened during a surgery (or even during stretching at PT...still not positive) instead of during a sport or an activity. My injury was chronic because I walked on a massively damaged knee for months up to a year without knowing what was truly wrong with it. The important thing with patellar tendon ruptures is to have a repair done as soon as possible. I face a lifetime of complications and questions and a certain TKR at an early age (I've already been told, I'm not assuming) because of all of this. I was also told that in all likelyhood I'll never be able to play sports again. It stinks, it really does. But I'm coming to terms with it. It's difficult, and you're right -- it's very hard to come to terms with such an injury like a RPT both physically and mentally.

Anyways, I'm just rambling now, so I'll stop myself before I get too carried away, hehe.

Again, good luck with your rehab and make sure to keep us updated, as always. :)

Best wishes,
Patricia
R knee:
01/04-MUA, LOA
03/04-MUA
L knee:

Offline Andy___H

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 8
  • User's Text
« Reply #516 on: January 12, 2005, 03:07:13 PM »
Hi all,

My progress is going well. I went to physio yesterday and got told my bi-weekly group sessions are going to be extended through February, instead of finishing by the end of Jan, which I am very happy with. I still have a lot of work to do on the quad to get the strength back. I have also started this week my own running training program. Having come next to last whenever we went on cross country runs at school, running was never my forte. However, on PT advice, it should be good to help build up the quad, and maybe drop a stone or 2 in the process!  ;D And when I say running, I am starting off on a run/walk exercising program, taking it easy to start with, and running on grass land only. So far 2 x 20 min sessions over, and no ill effects, so far  ;)

Janell, you came to the right place for advice, if Patricia doesn't know, no-one does. She is the fountain of all our knowledge and an inspiration to us all.

Rosbif, Tony, your on the right track getting back with the doc. Kneeling is really something I do not like doing. We do some at physio, but on nice mats, but it still feels very weird with little real feelings felt through the knee itself. I haven't knelt on just the bad knee yet, I only kneel on both, and have no plans to do so anythime soon.

Smarty, cracking good progress so far. Keep it going, and like you said, be smart, listen to the knee and take it from there. 6 months is the "standard" benchmark for recovery I have been told, and the way you are going, I am sure you will hit it   8)

Manxman, sorry I can help you with that one, I had my tendon repaired with sutures only. But I'd agree with you, easing back on the PT is a good idea.

Patricia, I understand your frustration with you OS. You are right to keep on asking all the questions you can and discussing it with your PT and his secretary where necessary. I ended up seeing 8 docs in total, and never actually talked to the OS himself  :o , and all of them were very busy. I envy you in having just the one, and him actually knowing you name  :D . And don't worry about the rambling, keep it coming whenever you need it, you'll always get a couple of dozen ears on this board which will be listening, and throwing back our answers and support where we can.

Got to go to lunch now, my tummy is rumbling. Bye all, keep up the good work.

Cheers

Andy
(Portsmouth,UK)
Patellar Tendon Rupture 9th June 2004 playing Volleyball
Surgury 18th June - NO WIRES
Placed in full leg cast 21st June, Removed 02 Aug.
Staples out 5th July

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 206
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #517 on: January 12, 2005, 03:48:44 PM »
Hi Folks

Manxman is worried about his wire loop snapping - understand quite common - I have been in contact with Conrad who lives in Staffordshire - he had the same problem - operation to remove the broken wire and then restart the rehab process - suggest you contact him at [email protected] on my recommendation. :o

Rosbif - having difficulty kneeling - it`s the same problem for after all knee operations - just got to live with it and find an alternative solution. ???

Noting that Patricia is making "some progress" !!! :) ;) :o

I am off to Benidorm, Spain for two weeks sunshine, nice and flat there - ideal for walking with a "limp"

Best wishes
JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline imnotpunk

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • stupid knee!
« Reply #518 on: January 13, 2005, 02:37:18 AM »
Hey all -
So my left knee (my "good knee") has been absolutely killing me again. When I'm going up and down the stairs (the gimp way, mind you), I feel a LOT of pain in the left knee along with some clicking and crunching. Last summer my chiropractor said I probably had a meniscal tear, which made sense to me because I've suffered from meniscal tears before and it does feel very similar. The pain would come and go, but lately it's coming more than it's going. I'm also experiencing a lot of pain in the tendon. My PT said I probably have severe tendonitis in the knee; I'm prone to tendonitis and the chances of rupturing my other tendon greatly increases because of already rupturing the other patellar tendon.

Anyways, I never got it checked out, and I'm wondering if maybe I should finally tell my OS about it or even talk to a GP about it. I've been favoring my right knee for two years now and my left knee doesn't seem like it has too much left in it anymore; I've put most of my weight on it for a long time now. I was talking about this with a man at PT today who is in need of a double TKR. For most of his life, his problems were always in one knee, but because he had to favor that knee and put a lot of weight on the "good" one, he wore down all the cartilage and tore the menisci up nice and good, thus needing both knees replaced. I'm basically worried that at this stage of the game I'm starting to do some damage to the good knee if it's not already somewhat damaged already (ie the torn meniscus).

Anyone have any input or suggestions? It would make sense to talk to my OS about it, but at the same time I'm thinking he's just going to tell me basically what I wrote in this post, therefore I won't get any new information or ideas for treatment. I guess the worst-case scenario would be an eventual scope on my good knee to clean it out, otherwise I'd just have to do some PT on it and make sure it's nice and strong seeing as it's taking the brunt of my weight anyways.

Thanks in advance and sorry for rambling (as I tend to do!)

Best wishes,
Patricia :)
R knee:
01/04-MUA, LOA
03/04-MUA
L knee:

Offline EngKnee

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #519 on: January 13, 2005, 07:14:34 PM »
Patricia, sorry to hear about your Good knee ::) but if I've learned anything from this injury it's that it CAN happen again to the Good knee if we're not careful.  It makes sense that when we ruptured one knee that the other knee was probably in almost as bad of shape :( that's why I've decided against playing basketball in a game anymore due to the probability of the other knee rupturing, I don't want to go thru this again now do I? :P
Tony, having trouble kneeling?  You've got the wire loop don't you?  Maybe that has something to do with it as I don't have much discomfort kneeling so far and I don't have the wire loop, coincidence, maybe. My knee is feeling better lately, hiking the trails in Sedona must have been helpful to me.  John C.
Ruptured Patellar Tendon lower left leg 3-30-04 while playing basketball
Open surgery to repair 4-12-04 , sans wire loop
Brace removed/heavy PT since 8-11-04
Able to dance w/o complications 1 yr. post-op

Offline Nigel

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #520 on: January 13, 2005, 07:23:54 PM »
Manxman,

Bummer about the snapped wire. Hope mine doesn't. Did they say how they can remove the bits?

Just come back from Sri Lanka - been there since 28 Dec on disaster relief. Didn't think about the knee all the time I was away! (well okay once or twice...  :) )

All the best to all, Nigel
Left patellar tendon break and repair with wire loop mid-Mar '04.
Full recovery, signed off by OS in September.

Offline Rosbif

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #521 on: January 13, 2005, 08:55:40 PM »
Hi John,

I did have a wire loop, but it was a dissolvable one. Can now kneel on a soft surface. I just made the mistake and forgot about not kneeling on a hard surface.

be interesting to see what the quack says next week

Tony
Patella Tendon rupture when a drunk fell on my leg.
Open surgery repair with disolvable wire loop 29.01.04

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 206
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #522 on: January 13, 2005, 09:11:16 PM »
Hi Tony

I understand that some wire loops are made of soft steel - like "fuse wire" - I talked with my Consultant this morning and he stated that some steel wires are left if they dont break or hinder walking.

I had dissolvable sutres, but I still cannot kneel on the injured knee and my RPT was two years ago last week. :'(

My main problem is trying to get out of a bath, so I stick to showers.

Best wishes
JohnK/ Manchester UK[shadow=red,left,300][/shadow]
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Andy___H

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 8
  • User's Text
« Reply #523 on: January 18, 2005, 11:32:22 PM »
Hi all,

Ok Patricia, here is my effort on rambling about my injury, not quite as serious as yours, but I thought I would try.  :)

My physiotherepist put an interesting question to me last week I would like to know your opinions on.

Background: I snapped my tendon playing volleyball. I had only been playing for 5 weeks, after not playing it for 9 years since university,typical weekend warrior injury :o. I did enjoy it a lot, but after the injury, I have NO intention of having the same injury again, either on the good knee or the bad one, so I am not planning on playing volleyball again.

The query from my physio is, what is my goal in me continuing with twice weekly PT sessions? I have been going to PT for about 4.5 months now, and was going to be extended to the end of Feb. I do no want to play volleyball. My initial goals of walking and riding my bicycle (I do not drive) have been met. I have full ROM. My quad is still pathetic, and I know I need more power, and this is what I am working hard at.

I did say to be able to jump and hop, but without the goal of playing volleyball, how many times do you jump and hop. Knowing I can, but don't use it would be good, but is it a goal. I do struggle to peddle on the bike whilst out of the saddle, and this is the closest I can get to a goal for me to continue with PT.

Don't get me wrong, I am not down-hearted with my progress, or recovery, I have actually been exercising more over the last 3 weeks than ever. I am now running every other day (5 sessions completed so far, more than I have done in the last 14 years since school  :D), and exercising at home for at least an hour on other days, and the 2 weekly sessions at PT. The running is just a run/walk program on grass land only, nice and soft, and an easy start to avoid further injury.

Am I being too restrictive to not want to play volleyball again? A bit like basketball, volleyball without jumping isn't really volleyball. What are all your goals?

Wow, that's been some ramble, hopefully you have not fallen asleep reading it.

Cheers,

Andy
(Portsmouth,UK)
Patellar Tendon Rupture 9th June 2004 playing Volleyball
Surgury 18th June - NO WIRES
Placed in full leg cast 21st June, Removed 02 Aug.
Staples out 5th July

Offline smartguy1968

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #524 on: January 19, 2005, 07:41:14 PM »
Hey Andy/Everyone!!!

Here's my history:

11/10/04 - RPT playing basketball
11/14 - Repaired
11/31 - Cast removed
12/3 - Started PT
12/30 - Saw OC, ROM 110, brace removed
1/12 - ROM 120, active PT

My goals are similar to yours. I will never play another contact sport where I might sustain another serious knee injury. I've learned my lesson well. Just functioning normally and strengething my knee/leg is my only goal. I've been exercising and lifting weights for conditioning and will continue this program after PT. I anticipate ending my 2x a week PT sessions mid-Feb.

PT sessions consist of stationary bike, treadmill, building leg strength and quads. I'm very pleased with my rehab just over 8 weeks post-op. My OS told me pre-surgery that I'd be back to "normal" in 4 months since I'm relatively young and fit. He was right. I just have a slight limp because of weak quad and swelling around knee.

Be well all!!!!

support