Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1261589 times)

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #4965 on: September 22, 2013, 12:58:34 AM »
Hello everyone.  Glad to see everyone on the board, and for everyone following these threads.  I have just finished my 8th PT and next week I see the PT Doc for an evaluation.  I have been doing a 2 a week schedule, followed by a 2a week trip to gym for frree weights and hydrowalking.  A jacuzzi has never felt so good.  My walking is better but there are times I feel that someone else owns my legs....and they want them back! As the day progresses I get weaker and weaker. I have been climbing a ladder for the last 10 days /three wrings Max, and the soreness reminds me to slow down.   Gotta get back to unpacking boxes....you all are in my prayers....
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 03:56:32 PM by fishy »

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
« Reply #4966 on: September 22, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
Hey all,

I love my mid-thigh stockings.  Although I look a little funny at 6'4", 195 lbs with white stockings (kinda like an old ballet dancer), I couldn't care less.  It was a struggle getting it on since I'm only OP+13 days and a little sore, but did it.  I was also having severe night sweats, which I have found are common due to pain meds, but have recently quit taking the Oxy.  I've noticed that Tylenol is doing the trick and the nights sweats have abated.  Seems like I always feel worse at night....anyone else experience this?

Mxbigd17.  I've read a lot about this injury and what I've found about patella pain can sometimes be helped by strengthening the VMO.  I've seen some PT videos on utube regarding the VMO and curious if your PT did any of these closed-chain exercises?

Hope everyone has a great week, cheers to all across the pond and beyond.  Peace!

Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4967 on: September 23, 2013, 05:29:17 PM »
Hey JC55, I am at week 16 and night leg pain is still an issue along with sitting on restaurant booths. I take 2 AdvilPM's at night but still flop at night. Hope this helps.

Offline hages1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #4968 on: September 23, 2013, 07:43:16 PM »
Hi all!!
I am now 7 week post surgery.
I went to OS last week and got the ok to start pt with no limits.
started off in the os office with 20 degrees,working a lot with pt doing SLR,squats(with scale under each leg to make sure weight is equal on both legs) and Rom. i am now a week later and I got to 95 .
pain is bearable although the knee gets swollen, but not too bad.
I am still in brace and using a cane out of the house.
health to all..

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #4969 on: September 25, 2013, 02:31:47 PM »
It's great to hear how everyone is doing.  Keep up the good work.

Oscar, thank you for the information on imagining.

Good news from me this week.  I've been feeling much more confident since I ditched the brace and went down to one crutch.

This morning I went to see a private physiotherapist as the NHS physiotherapy sessions are now down to 10 minutes per fortnight.  My appointment was supposed to last for an hour, but when my time was up she hooked me up to a kneehab machine and left me for 20 minutes with a magazine and a cup of coffee while she saw someone else. When she came back she got me to do some more exercises and looked at my gait.

As well as spending time on my history and asking what I wanted to be able to do she did lots of assessment and explanation and massaged my knee to encourage the patella to sit in the groove.  I was there for an hour and three quarters and I'll be going twice a week from next week.

I feel I've taken control of my recovery now and I'll be having a lot more guidance in the future.  I have a lot of work to do.

If it hadn't been for kneegeeks I'd not have known any better and I'd have settled for what the NHS was offering.  Thank you all.
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
« Reply #4970 on: September 25, 2013, 04:55:25 PM »
Hey everyone.  Having a good week so far.  Starting last week, I have been using the crutches less and less, especially when I am somewhere that I am familiar with.  At work and home, pretty much crutch free.  I return to the OS next week and have two PT appointments this week.  Exercises are getting easier, but the pain the day after is horrendous.  Pain at night and in the morning still a problem.  Cold fronts and wet weather add to the pain I think.  Pain is mainly concentrated on the upper portion of the knee cap and the quad area.  I still have the feeling that my knees are going to buckle, especially when I bend both of them at the same time.  I feel like I have to hyper-extend my knee to stop myself from falling.  Same thing with going up stairs.

PT measured the bend on Monday and at 107 left and 120 on the right.  Massaging the knee caps and tendons before exercising seems to help so much.  So since I have been walking without the crutches, my back has been getting sore.  I would imagine that I tense up, especially when someone comes up behind me or I get unsteady.  I can tell you that the braces on both legs, even though I no longer walk like Frankenstein, the braces occasionally get caught between my thighs on each other.  Looking forward to seeing when the OS and PT decide that I need to start walking without the braces once and for all.  Going to try a gym next week for some water exercising.
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4971 on: September 26, 2013, 09:21:18 PM »
Hey everyone.  Having a good week so far.  Starting last week, I have been using the crutches less and less, especially when I am somewhere that I am familiar with.  At work and home, pretty much crutch free.  I return to the OS next week and have two PT appointments this week.  Exercises are getting easier, but the pain the day after is horrendous.  Pain at night and in the morning still a problem.  Cold fronts and wet weather add to the pain I think.  Pain is mainly concentrated on the upper portion of the knee cap and the quad area.  I still have the feeling that my knees are going to buckle, especially when I bend both of them at the same time.  I feel like I have to hyper-extend my knee to stop myself from falling.  Same thing with going up stairs.

PT measured the bend on Monday and at 107 left and 120 on the right.  Massaging the knee caps and tendons before exercising seems to help so much.  So since I have been walking without the crutches, my back has been getting sore.  I would imagine that I tense up, especially when someone comes up behind me or I get unsteady.  I can tell you that the braces on both legs, even though I no longer walk like Frankenstein, the braces occasionally get caught between my thighs on each other.  Looking forward to seeing when the OS and PT decide that I need to start walking without the braces once and for all.  Going to try a gym next week for some water exercising.

Hey Carkeltom;  Congradulations, I do believe you are about to be released from your braces.  Its great that your ROM is improving  And the hydrotherapy is wonderful....I worried about entry and exiting from the pool and arranged for a hydraulic lift but elected to try climbing up and down the pool ladders (which worked just fine).  I am in Week 16 and after 8 PT visits and a complete check up by my PT Doc. My tendons have healed nicely and my muscles (though still atrophied) are becoming stronger with exercise. I am now released to continue exercising. I have been taking my PT at a VA facility, working out with young bucks half my age (needless to say I had to harass each and every soldier that was taking PT... every try kidding an airborne soldier wearing a brace?  Its quite invigorating!!)  My ROM is 13 0left and 135+ right.  My balance is crappy, to say the least, so my PT Doc gave me instructions on improving my balance.  It is just a matter of continuing this journey outside the medical community... and staying in touch with all my brothers and sisters on this site.  Take care all, keep your spirits up and remember....Patience.

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4972 on: September 27, 2013, 11:15:50 PM »
Hey all,
Glad to hear everyone has had a good week.
I'm 18 days post OP and had my first visit to PT.  What a pathetic excuse I have for a thigh muscle.  The PT measured my good leg at 145, so there's my goal.  She placed a electric stim on my thigh and I did quad sets for about 10 minutes.  She then asked me to do some short arc quad exercises but I couldn't get my foot off the bed.  After some discussion I asked why I was doing an active extension when all the material I've read is to hold off on that til 6 weeks..she said that my leg was too weak to lift the foot and it was really just to activate the quad. We will see if the OS thinks this is a good idea.
This first visit was short and mainly an evaluation.  She and the OS have decided to take it slow since I'm less than 3 weeks post-op and repair was by suture only (no drill holes or wire).  I have 3 PT sessions scheduled for next week and excited to start down the long road to recovery.  However, I did go thru a short depression after PT.  I was feeling a little sorry for myself and mad that I injured myself in the first place.  I'm working hard on dealing with this mentally, so please send positive thoughts my way.
fishy thanks for the advice on the advilPM...I had a very decent nights sleep last night for the first time since my injury.  Had a little of the night sweats but not too bad.
sellaVee congrats on taking charge of your recovery...I hope that mine progresses well too.
PEACE to all and thanks for being here..you all have made this bearable for me.
Jerry, Kentucky, USA

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4973 on: September 28, 2013, 12:17:50 PM »
Jerry and everyone else, positive thoughts are winging their way from the UK, and for those of you who are doing this on your own here's a virtual hug (( )) and a bible verse:  Numbers 6 verses 24-26.

We all have to work hard to keep our spirits up when the size of the hill we're climbing threatens to overwhelm us.  Keep right on to the end of the road.

Sella

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4974 on: September 30, 2013, 06:18:08 PM »
SellaVee, thanks for the positive thoughts...it must have worked.  I'm 3 weeks post-op today and woke up feeling great.  Slept well, no night sweats and body is feeling like old self.  My PT appt was mid-morning and when I arrived she presented me with a complete protocol outlining the approach my OS and she developed specifically for me.  It was spot on to what I had researched...I can't tell you the relief it gave me.  She fitted my new ROM brace (a Defender model, which I believe is made in the UK), did electric stim with quad sets, calf stretches, heel slides to 30 degrees (which I was relieved to achieve with no pain), patella mobilization, and then taught me correct way to go up and down stairs.  I have two more appts this week.  It's hard to explain the complete change in my mental attitude and I owe it all to you good folks who provided solid information and encouraging words.  Thanks to each and every one of you.  I hope and pray that everyone has a great week!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 06:21:31 PM by JC55 »
Jerry, Kentucky, USA

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4975 on: October 01, 2013, 12:34:25 AM »
Jerry, I'm so pleased to hear you're feeling better.  Isn't it great what a good physiotherapist can do? 

I saw my new PT yesterday and had my ROM measured for the first time.  I'm 12 weeks post op and I reached 110o.  I've had 2 minutes walking backwards on the treadmill, I've sat on a balance ball and rolled forward and back and I've had 20 minutes on the Kneehab.  She also worked on massaging my kneecap, which is very stiff.  She's concentrating on getting my quads stronger and making sure I walk properly.

I'm seeing her again on Wednesday.  Happy days are here again.

I hope everyone else is doing well.

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4976 on: October 02, 2013, 09:07:41 PM »
Hey all, is it just me or was our thread hijacked.  I'm posting just to see where this appears. 
On the news front, I'm feeling well...although I just found out that my insurance limits me to 20 PT visits a year.  So, on advice from PT, I'm limiting myself to 1 PT visit a week early on since she said it doesn't make sense to come more often just doing heel slides to 30 degrees and quad sets.  She said we can increase visits when we get to the more active sessions.  After the new year we get another 20 visits which should work out fine.
I've been told that the OS could petition the insurance company for more PT due to the injury...we will see.  Hope all my compatriots are well...peace to all!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 09:28:19 PM by JC55 »
Jerry, Kentucky, USA

Offline Ben5000

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4977 on: October 03, 2013, 03:52:18 AM »
Has anyone tried shockwave therapy after their RPT?

I'm 8 months post RPT. Thinking of giving it a try. There is conflicting research regarding the benefit.

Thanks!
Ben

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
« Reply #4978 on: October 04, 2013, 08:49:24 PM »
Hey everyone.  It has been such a busy week for me.  Work and PT and appt with the OS.  Still getting used to sitting so much at work.  Well, PT was sort of good this week.  Still working on getting better balance.  Seems so hard with the legs being in braces, but I am not complaining.  PT started me on seated squats with no weight though.  OS appt on Thursday.  xrays showed good patellar height on both knees, so the doctor is pleased.  I return in 6 weeks.  He had me take off the braces in the office and take some steps.  I was so used to being straight-legged that I was walking on my toes and still swinging my legs.  SO, took the braces off when I am in my home and in my office.  This is really freaky.  He said some of the unsteadiness is in my mind, but he would like me to wean myself off the braces by the time I see him.  No more crutches though.  Gonna have to see what the weather brings.  THink I am scared of the snow and ice. 

PT doing balance and bending both knees at the same time.  Still get that feeling like the knees are going to buckle.  We measured passive flexion at 120 left and 125 right, so I told her, lets start getting my quads back to strength.  SLRs getting easier.  Have been biking 2 miles per day on the floor cycle and did a mile on the treadmill with no braces.  It has been awhile, but i was actually tired last night and didnt need any help getting to sleep. 

Hope everyone else is doing well.  Keep the faith.

Tom
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4979 on: October 06, 2013, 05:47:44 PM »
 :P End of week 18.  Not too much to report.... no formal PT but lots of exercising the legs on ladders and hauling boxes as we continue to move into our house.  I tried to install Christmas lights on the house (in Alaska we get the lights on the house early, because it can snow at any time).  Getting on the roof tries the mind as much as the body.... I take it really slow.  The grand kids are here and grand daughter is signaling "up"....life goes on RPTers.  Hope everyone is progressing...be patient and stay strong.