Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1261519 times)

Offline Jedward

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Ruptured patella tendon playing football, Jan 2013
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #4710 on: April 03, 2013, 11:53:51 PM »
Over 11 weeks now ... Just got around the exercise bike for the first time yesterday ... Knee so stiff it is unreal though.  It is hard to explain, stiff isn't the right word actually ... It just feels alien still.  Trying to bend it more as I walk - each step there is a big click - what the hell is that?  Also, I still have the wire in, had mixed thoughts on if it should come out from 2 consultants - I wonder if it is hampering me, and part of the funny feeling?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 11:55:56 PM by Jedward »

Offline Tridad

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4711 on: April 04, 2013, 03:16:24 AM »
Hi bballkingofnba.
I posted an after picture. There is just a 17cm scar left. The swelling is almost gone.  See "later"below.

http://www.medhelp.org/user_photos/list/3690372
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 03:28:00 AM by Tridad, Reason: address to bballkingofnba »

Offline Ben5000

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4712 on: April 04, 2013, 04:13:53 PM »
After reading many posts on this forum it seems that there is a high incidence of slower rehab and other complications related to the use of the wire for repairing a RPT.

The wire also seems to be a common technique for those who post from the UK, and less common for US and Canada.

I'm from Canada and had the dissolvable sutures for a complete RPT.  My OS said that he doesn't know any OS who would use the wire, or put anybody in a cast for this injury instead of a removable brace.

We all heal differently, but I am 8 weeks post-op and 2 days ago had my first physio appointment. I had the physio measure me for the first time and I am at 110 degrees ROM on the injured leg, and 135 ROM on the good leg.

Further to Jedward's post about knee stiffness, I only have minimal stiffness. I walk with no limp and was able to get on a stationary bike last week.

Certainly there has to be some study measuring outcomes of wire vs. dissolvablee sutures for RPT?  Also cast vs. locking brace.  Anybody seen anything like this?  John, I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #4713 on: April 04, 2013, 04:22:58 PM »
Hi Ben

I was given to understand that it is common practice in the UK, to place the knee in a cast - it`s a cheaper option than a brace -  I was also given to understand that using a wire in the UK, depends on how the tendon has ripped apart from the Patella.   

Most patients on this thread having had the wire instead of sutres, have had the wire removed after a certain period.

To reach 110ROM after eight weeks is exceptional, and would suggest that you listen to your knee, and bear in mind, that the tendon has not healed at 8 weeks.

Anything over 115ROM is a bonus, be take care.   Keep posting.

Best wishes
JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline TendonTim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4714 on: April 04, 2013, 04:30:50 PM »
Hey Ben

I'm still a "MICROgeek" so can't send PMs yet but send me your email and we can talk more. I'm definitely on board with your approach. I took your advice and tried out a stationary bike yesterday and it was great. I can reply more in an email so i don't clog up the thread.

I have PT today so I'm hoping he'll give me the ok to do more quad isolation exercises.

I agree with Ben in that we all heal differently. I'm coming up on 7 weeks tomorrow and my morning stiffness is much less than it was originally. At 4 weeks, I couldn't flex more than 20-25 degrees in the morning. Now I get about 80 when i first wake up. It's a process.

I do think that the more you start to trust your knee, the more you will use it, leading to less atrophy, more stability/strength and better/faster recovery.

Tim

Offline bballkingofnba

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #4715 on: April 05, 2013, 04:22:47 PM »
Hi Y'all,

Attached is a pic of my quads 1 year post op. You can see the definition coming back, but I plan to keep grinding until they look 100% alike!

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/6497/photohky.jpg

Offline awpalmer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4716 on: April 08, 2013, 05:39:42 PM »
Hey everyone, just posting a quick update on my progress. It's been 11 weeks today since the injury/surgery and things feel like they are getting better at an exponential rate now. Back in week 9.5 I was still using a cane and my leg was pretty stiff (w 115-120 max ROM). My ROM today was measured at 135 deg and walking, balancing etc. are progressing quite nicely. I attribute this to a) the bike, and b) only using a cane for aid when i go out for extended periods. I remember someone said they were able to go up stairs with alternating feet, and back the i couldn't comprehend doing so. I can now although my leg still feels quite weak but is improving as well.

As for scar tissue,  I still feel some within my knee in certain areas and guess the only way to reduce it is with time/work. It does still present a little bit of stiffness when i bend my leg (ie it wants to snap back into being straight) but doing some light quad stretches helps A LOT with making the leg feel loose. My physio said to stretch it out multiple times a day to gradually get the muscle back to normal. It's quite painful at first (in the quad, not the PT) but very worthwhile in the end for mobility and improving ROM.

Hope everyone else is progressing well,

Andrew

Offline TendonTim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4717 on: April 11, 2013, 03:51:59 AM »
Just a quick update for everyone. I'm 7 weeks 5 days post op.

I had PT today and we are now at 121 degrees flexion. I started riding a recumbent exercise bike everyday for 10-15 min and that has really done wonders for my rom. I'm trying to have full rom two weeks from friday so I think I'm in a good position to do that. We started mini squats today and I'm really surprised at how difficult they get after 5 or 6 of them. If they go the same at the straight leg raises, it should get better after a few days work.  Also, I can do a leg extension without pain in the top of my kneecap now. (really glad that's over) I think that's it.

Can anyone tell me how they gained the last bit of their range of motion? I'm having some problems figuring out an easy way to do that. Thanks in advanced.

Offline sunkizt1984

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4718 on: April 11, 2013, 04:57:37 AM »
Hi all,

Just wanted to do a 7 month update - I played my first (real) tennis match this weekend and got a win. I've been back on the court for around 3 weeks now. I wouldn't say I'm 100%, but can run, change direction, etc. I mainly need to work on speed and the mental part of trusting the knee. FWIW I had no wire and wore a lockable brace for 3 months and started working with my PT at 2 weeks. My PT "graduated" me at 6 months to continue working out on my own.

@TendonTim - the last bit of ROM came along mostly on its own, but sometimes I would stand at my desk with my foot on a chair (sort of looks like a quad stretch, but the chair holds your foot). Eventually that got easier and I could hold a normal quad stretch.

Offline bballkingofnba

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #4719 on: April 11, 2013, 06:08:02 PM »
thats great sunkizt congrats! How does the knee feel after? Do you have any pain while running? Also, are you able to do single leg hops on the repaired leg yet?

Offline sunkizt1984

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4720 on: April 12, 2013, 03:50:09 AM »
Thanks! It feels fine for the most part - I pushed it the other day and played in a clinic and then a 3 setter (five hours of tennis) and it swelled up. No running pain, but I can feel the weakness in my quad and can't yet get over the mental part of accelerating to get a drop shop or lob (how I hurt myself originally). I can do single leg hops and jumps, but it's definitely higher on my good leg! How's your return coming?

Offline awpalmer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4721 on: April 14, 2013, 08:41:27 PM »
These are the kinds of "alumni" comments I like to see sunkizt1984, great to hear that the recovery gains become more significant down the road without any major complications.

I think I'm on track to be there in 7 months as well as my ROM is now 135  at almost 12 weeks post surgery and can quite easily peddle on a stationary bike with the seat lower than before. I've also ditched the brace when walking around the house as well as the cane when walking outside/at school (although I still keep the brace on for that). Walking speed is back at my post injury level and my gait is almost gone (although i still need to consciously think about walking normal sometimes). Stiffness around the whole joint due to scar tissue is still there when walking but is noticeably beginning to decrease each day which is great.

To Ben500's question, I go to physio once a week but do my own exercises at home 2-3 times a day. Everything other than the quad stimulator can be done wherever (with biking every day at the gym). Once you start walking distances without the use of an aid like a crutch/cane, for me anyways, I've noticed that my quad and calf responds accordingly and become somewhat engaged as well.

Andrew

Offline The Eejit

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #4722 on: April 15, 2013, 10:16:04 AM »
Hi RPT'ers,
Just an update, its been a long journey & it's far from over. I'm at 103 degrees of rom & still go to physical therapy twice a week and I try to exercise, ride my floor cycle & stretch everyday on my own, my strength is coming back.  It's been 7 1/2 months since my surgery and scar tissue was my biggest problem.

Hi Jules/ Eejit, what was the result of your last MRI ? did it show too much scar tissue ?

Well everyone, take care & good luck,
Jimmy

Hey Jimmy,

Sorry for only getting back to you now. I've been back at work so not had as much time as I would like to check the board.

I go for my MRI today so will let you know how I get on.

Since being back to work I do however notice improvements. I am gaining confidence each day and don't have to stop for as many rests etc when I do the hills to and from the train station.

The click is still there, all the time, but I think it's getting less, it's hard to tell, I think sometimes it gets worse when my muscles start to tire.

Standing still filing etc is really hard, the whole leg seems to stiffen and it takes ages to function right as in it clunks, clicks and generally stiffens up.

Coming down the stairs normally is still something I cannot do and it's wearing me down a little, but all in all I am getting a little faster.

How's things been with you?
My friends call me Juls :)
-----------------------------------
6th July 2012 - Ruptured Left Patellar Tendon
Friday the 13th July - Surgery (yes I said my goodbyes lol)

Offline TendonTim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4723 on: April 16, 2013, 04:30:58 AM »
Hi everyone,

I hope that I'm not posting too much. I just wanted to share my progress because I'm trying to be a bit more aggressive than others have been. There's definitely more than one way to go about the rehab. So far, I really think my approach has been good for recovery.

I'm now at 8 weeks 3 days. I have completely ditched my leg brace. I can now go up and down stairs alternating feet (ie normally) although I still hold on to the rail for assurance. The steps got a lot easier since starting non-weighted squats. I don't know my rom at the moment because I have therapy on wednesday so I'll report back then with that information.

I did notice a bit of patella alta (the repaired kneecap sits higher than the opposite one) so I asked a podiatric surgeon if that would be a problem during recovery and he said no. He also said that the repair is really solid with a risk of re-rupture at about 4% so as long as I don't get too crazy, recovery should go well. That's all for now.  Take care.

Update: After PT this morning, my rom is at 110 active and 130 passive. For me, that's about 7 degrees away from full flexion as i only have 137 in my good leg. As far as exercises we started today, lunges are terrible (in the sense that I'm really unstable when doing them) 1 leg step ups are also unsteady but my PT told me some things that i was doing wrong and that helped a lot. (I went up some stairs with his tips and that was much better) But that's all.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 06:47:42 PM by TendonTim, Reason: updated information »

Offline Jedward

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Ruptured patella tendon playing football, Jan 2013
« Reply #4724 on: April 17, 2013, 09:28:24 AM »
Over 13 weeks now and not happy ... Waking in the night in pain still.  Mornings are really painful particularly.  The pain is mostly across the knee cap, particularly on flex ion, or every stride.  Some days are better than others but didn't think I would be in so much pain now which is holding me back.  Should I be free of such pain by now? Seeing my OC later today. Still only only approx 100 ROM, feel I am we'll behind and I have physio twice a week and do my own every day.