Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1358488 times)

Offline bdepe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #3855 on: October 10, 2011, 10:01:26 PM »
John,

Thank you for the information, I have already read through it and started checking out the URLs in the document.  Mine is not a complete rupture only a partial tear.  The OS assistance who reviewed the MRI results told me not to do anything that breaks a 90 degree plain with the knee, but other than that there wre no other limits on what I can do he said.   It strange there is only a little pain on the inside and front of the knee and that is only sometimes.  If I do certain things it hurts.  I see the doctor this Thursday to get his advice.  Since it's only a partial tear, (grant I did not think partial was the right word when they said it was a 50% tear), could it heal without surgury?   
Is was reading on other sites that if it's in a brace for 3 to 6 it could.  I'm not sure if that is true.  Plus the doctor's assistance Friday said to think of it was a rope that is cut in half, it's not just going to fix itself.  Than today the other assistance said it could heal with time.  I'm totally thrown for a lose.  I guess Thursday will clear things up.  I have been thinking about getting a second doctor to look at it.  I still have full ROM and no lose of strength in my leg.  I have had a problem with the bum wheel since I was a kid.  I have sprained my MCL in this left three times plus the surgery I mentioned above. 

Offline bdepe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3856 on: October 10, 2011, 10:03:43 PM »
Sorry, hit post before I was done.  Does anyone know at what point it best to get the surgery based on what % of the tendon is torn? I hope that makes senes.

Thank you,
       Bill/ Coppell, Texas

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 217
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3857 on: October 10, 2011, 10:20:21 PM »
Hi Bill

I don`t think that anybody reading this thread can give you qualified advice, this lies in the hands of an Orthopaedic Consultant.  You cannot sit back and take the view " it will heal itself", because it won`t.

I would suggest a second opinion, your knee is to valuable to mess around with.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline bdepe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3858 on: October 10, 2011, 11:06:22 PM »
John,

I completely agree which is why what the assistance said made me worry.   Just sitting back waiting for it to completely tear does not sound like a good option to me.  They did mention physical therapy but I don't know how that would heal the part that is torn already.  I'll see what the surgeon himself says Thursday.  I have already started looking for someone else to see for a second opinion.  Thank you for the advice and information.

Bill/ Coppell Texas

Offline cabrev

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3859 on: October 11, 2011, 01:34:20 AM »
Hi Bill, you must get the direction of a qualified OS.  I see you're in the Dallas metro area (I so happen to be about three hours south of there)...there should definitely be a number of very good ones there, and particularly with a lot of sports related history.  Getting a couple of opinions would be very valuable, too, as you'll find this is not an extremely common injury and there is a maddening array of varying opinions and protocols from the surgeons (and yours and its history is a bit unique/different).  Good luck and keep us posted on your situation.  Many good people here to compare notes.

Offline bdepe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3860 on: October 12, 2011, 03:20:07 PM »
I have an appointment to review my MRI with my doctor tomorrow and I have schedule another appointment with another doctor for a second opinion on Monday so hopefully I'll know more tomorrow and Monday afternoon.  Thank you all for the help

Bill / Coppell, Texas

Offline zinupe14

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3861 on: October 12, 2011, 08:04:50 PM »
Hi All,

I guess I'll join in on the discussion.  Give the quick and dirty:  I ruptured my patellar tendon playing basketball on 7/23.  As I planted to go up for a rebound, an ex University of Georgia Strong Safety went up in front of me and the back of his foot kicked me directly at the bottom of my knee cap.  Instant pain and the usual image:  my kneecap was in my thigh. 

I had surgery on 8/1 and I'm now a little over 10 weeks post surgery.  I started Physical therapy about 4 weeks ago on 9/15.  My first visit, I could only bend it 40 degrees.  My most recent visit yesterday, I bent it 118 degrees, so I've been making consistent big jumps.  I actually got on the bike for the first time during this visit.  I can't wait until I can start back running.  Luckily I lost 5 pounds while recovering.  Tried my best not to become a couch potato.

I lose the hinged brace as much as I can around the house, and of course when I'm in large crowds ... otherwise, I try to walk carefully without it.  I've gained pretty good balance now.

My question to all is, would it be wise to try anything at this point?  Say ... a round of golf? Of course with the brace on ... but I just wanted to get other opinions.  A few weeks ago, my physical therapist mentioned that I could possibly play in a couple weeks.   Now that those couple of weeks have passed, I'm getting that itch, but I also want to be cautious.

In any event ... it was good to find this forum.  I look forward to reading through the history.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3862 on: October 13, 2011, 04:48:24 PM »
Hi and welcome to the RPT thread -  I would not recommend golf so early because your tendon is not fully healed[, I will send you a set of documents which will outline your serious injury and will give you an indication of the healing process.

Please keep asking questions, as there are many buddies here to help you.

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline tonestone

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #3863 on: October 14, 2011, 06:05:08 PM »
Hello fellow PTR sufferers…
I am 14 weeks post op and wanted to post my progress;   I am 144 degrees on my good leg and I am 137 degrees on my PTR leg.  I have been back to work 3 weeks now and getting around is much easier, going up and down stairs is not so bad but not 100%.  During my last doctors visit my OS told me to join a gym with a pool and to get to work  ;D (he is very happy with my progress and complimented my PT doctors that work in his office).  This is a great forum and it has helped me understand my injury and has allowed me to also see the progress of others, as we all know it’s a long road to recovery and will do my part to get there when the time is right.  Keeping a positive attitude is the only way to get by this. 
06/27/11 Ruptured right Patella Tendon
07/08/11 Surgery
09/15/11 Rom 125°
10/12/11 Current Rom 137°
10/27/11 Current Rom 140°

Offline striket

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3864 on: October 14, 2011, 10:53:02 PM »
  I just recently became a member of the torn patellar club the 29th of september.  Actually I had my surgery on the 29th but the injury occurred three weeks prior.  I jumped "attempting" to dunk a basketball and heard the same thing a lot of people have posted hearing, a pop.  The pain was rather intense and my knee cap was relocated noticeably higher.  I saw my doctor this week to get my staples removed and he told me that my surgery was more complicated because of the length of time i waited before surgery.  Im currently fifteen days out and am getting around in my brace without the use of my crutches.    I almost feel like I could walk normal if it wasn't for my brace.  There is no pain when I put weight on it and walk but I do noticed some soreness on the inside part of my knee if im on it to much.  Im thinking thats because of the awkward way the brace makes me walk.  At about a week out I threw out my pain medication because it was suppressing my appetite and I didnt like the way it made me feel.  I still manage to go to the gym and workout which has completely changed my mood.   I have sooooo many questions that I'd like to ask.  First one is that Im going to see my doctor on the 24th of october which is when Ill be about a month out.  Is this when he'll prescribe PT or do I have to wait the whole 6 weeks like I've read on some peoples, and will he give me a list of exercises I can do because I plan on doing this myself.  My goal is to be able to do a triathlon this time next year, is that achievable(even if you say no im going to try  :))  And when would I be able to ride a bike?  I really appreciate this forum and I know Im going to be frequenting it often!  If anybody has a structured rehad plan that has worked for them I'd be glad to see it.

Oh I forgot a little bit about myself.  Im 34 years old and enjoy working out and doing anything outdoors.  I've had three previous surgeries including 2 lower back and an elbow surgery(tommy john) from baseball. 

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3865 on: October 15, 2011, 08:40:49 AM »
Welcome to the exclusive RPT club - essential that you try and read some of the previous posts.

I have sent you a collection of documents which will enable you to understand the nature of the serious injury which you have sustained - Read with care.   Please do ask questions - lots of buddies on this thread here to give you support.

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #3866 on: October 15, 2011, 08:55:17 AM »
I hope all you ruptured patella/quad tendon people are all recovering well and that you appreciate the help that John and the others give you. This thread and the RQT thread are, in my opinion, shining examples of what this board is all about.

On a totally different matter though, I'd like to lead the community in thanking John for all his help and support over the years here.

And wish him and his lovely wife, Sylvia, a wonderful

50th Wedding Anniversary [/font][/i]
today! May you both have many many more wonderful years.

Sue  :D
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3867 on: October 15, 2011, 09:04:36 AM »
Hi Sue

Sylvia & myself thank you very much for your very kind greetings on our GOLDEN WEDDING ANNIVERSARY -

Where have the years gone .   We will tell you about our adventures when we return from a three day trip to Prague.

Best wishes

John Kramrisch
Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline striket

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3868 on: October 15, 2011, 05:54:22 PM »
  Thanks for the list of exercises John!  I've already done a few today and it feels good to actually be doing something.  Some of the exercises are a little more advanced and I'll have to wait until I have better ROM, but if things keep progressing like they have been I may be able to do them in a couple weeks.  Mornings tend to be the worst because my muscles tighten up when I stretch and i can't do a thing about it.  Its not excruciating pain its more like an achy feeling.  Anyways John Im from Tampa fl, home of the Buccaneers!  Guess there is a little bit of a connection between our home towns seeing as to how my football team is owned by the same family that owns your "football"(the one where you use your feet!) team across the pond.  Well there was one question that i wanted to ask before I get going.  When I threaded back to the beginning in 2004 there were people who were saying that this injury is debilitating and that the majority of people will not only feel residual aches and pains for years but that ROM will also never be 100%.  The one guy, whom I believe to be an older gentlemen, stated that he had only heard of one person(a cop) who actually reached 100% and that was after 18 months.  Is that accurate?  Most of the articles I've read pertaining to RPT's show that a person can return to normal sports activities at the 4-6 month range.  Has there been some kind of advance in either surgical procedures or Physical therapy routines that would make this injury more successful to come back from then say 7 or 8 years ago?  Any information is greatly appreciated and I look forward to posting my progress. 

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3869 on: October 15, 2011, 06:44:57 PM »
Hi

I will quickly respond to your question, because as you may have read, we celebrate our Golden Wedding anniversary today, and involved in many activities in this connection.

During the last eight years, the majority of RPT reach nearly 100%, but that matters not - your good knee should be in the region of 130/140 ROM, and your injured knee will be in the region of 120/130ROM after twelve months.   Bear in mind, that you lose a little of the tendon lenghth, when they reattach the tendon to the patella.    I ended up with 113ROM, and can walk with no problem, except when walking up a steep incline etc, but can do most activities ( except chasing blondes).

Work hard with the physio - stretch, and more stretching is required in the first six months - remember to try and reach the first milestone of 90ROM within the first three months, then work hard to try and reach 120ROM.

Keep asking questions - keep posting, lots of buddies out here to help you.

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon