Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1261093 times)

Offline Gutted

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #3480 on: February 12, 2011, 05:19:10 PM »
Playshardgetshurt, I hope that your friends enjoyed the match today, what a goal by Rooney, that's going to be in contention for goal of the season, without a doubt! A great day of sport rounded off by a good England victory in the 6 Nations. I have had a quick look at where I was at your time scale (I had my surgery 2 weeks before you so we are quite close) and I was at 70 degrees flexion, so only a couple of degrees more than you. However, I could never do 30 SLRs at that stage so you are doing really really well as far as those are concerned. Peoples' bodies will mend differently and the nature of the injuries are different so I think broadly speaking you are doing fine from what I have read about others and myself.

Barro, another good win for you this week by the looks of things!

Keep up the good work people.
Complete (aside from a few strands) Ruptured Patella Tendon, disrupted and torn retinaculum medial: 6 Dec 10

Surgery with wire loop inserted: 16 Dec 10
Put in a cast for 7 days, then a velcro brace.
Wire snapped after 2 months post op whilst doing physio.
Wire removed 3 months post op.

Offline EJCR

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3481 on: February 13, 2011, 01:48:17 AM »
Playshard-

Thanks. Great tips. I think your right on.  Still alot of snow on the ground here but hopefully the weather will improve and I can get to doing some of those outside. I spent some time in the pool today and found one legged squats in the shallow end were a good way to fool my mind into bending even deeper. Likewise, explosive jumps from the shallow end work as a good start as well.

Thanks

EJ
Full patellar tendon rupture June 11 2010
Surgery June 14 2010

Offline Barro

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3482 on: February 13, 2011, 06:24:28 PM »
Hi all, quick question about pain - I've strated getting sharp, shooting pains through the tendon itself below the knee. It comes and goes but is very painful for the fleeting few seconds. Is that normal? I read somewhere about the tendon 'coming back to life' so Im hoping its that.

My brace is set at 50 and Im bending to that easy. The temptation is to open it further but I see the PT for the first time on Weds so will discuss with her then. Stood on the leg all night with the brace in the pub last night and it was fine, but when the brace is off at home my kleg feels SO weak and Ive got a terrible limp. 

Glad to hear the recoveries are all going well. Gutted - yep another good win, we are playing such good football under Poyet. Got a season ticket for next year for the new stadium so Im hoping I'll be watching championship football...... its also gonna soften the blow of not playing on Saturdays!
Full RPT playing football - 14 Dec 2010
Repair with wire - 17 Dec 2010

31 year old male, London, UK.

Offline Gutted

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3483 on: February 15, 2011, 05:21:20 PM »
Hey Barro,

I have some fleeting acute pain in my knee but it went as soon as I experienced it, and it doesn't happen so much now. I've just got a general ache in the knee most of the time because of the strength work at PT that I'm doing and the ROM exercises. I have felt and heard some cracks from my knee but I am fairly certain its just the joint cracking like you would normally get. There isn't any pain associated with it. I think that you'd know if you have done some damage. The PT has also really been hammering me about my walking re-education. He has been working me really hard to bend the leg and kick through properly and to fight to not walk with a limp. Its hard work but I am grateful it is like that as it can only be good in the long run.

How is everyone else getting on, hope its all going well.
Complete (aside from a few strands) Ruptured Patella Tendon, disrupted and torn retinaculum medial: 6 Dec 10

Offline Barro

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3484 on: February 16, 2011, 06:00:11 PM »
Thanks mate, thats helpful. the pain comes and goes but Im sure I would know about it if I did any damage to the tendon.

My first proper PT session today, almost 9 weeks post op. I can bend passively to 70 degrees, but they are insisting my brace is kept at 50 for another two weeks (when it will be opened to 90). This sounds a bit conservative to me but Im still not at work so can do plenty of exercises and get it to 90 within that fortnight. see the surgeon again on Monday so maybe he'll let me open the brace further.

My kneecap is properly frozen solid. The PT did some massage and tried to move it about a bit but it wasnt happening! Anything I can do except keep manipulating/massaging it?

Big Arsenal-Barca game tonight for the footy fans among us - should be a cracker. How's everyone else getting along?

Offline Gutted

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3485 on: February 16, 2011, 11:12:14 PM »
Hey Barro,

Since replying to your message I was at PT today and as I was stepping over a low hurdle I heard a loud crack from my knee and it feels different at the bottom part of the tendon. There is no swelling or pain associated with it and I can do what I could do before it happened. It feels like the tendon can move more and that it's catching or rubbing on something behind it. I just hope it's nothing serious and that it has something to do with the wire. I have an orthopaedic consultation in a weeks time so hopefully it will be okay until then. The physio immediately checked it and he didn't seem concerned. Fingers crossed it's okay.

Sounds like you are doing well Barro. After what's happened to me today I'd definitely say take it easy! It feels good to sweat and put some effort in though on the PT sessions!

What a match tonight. I thought messi and villa were going to dominate arsenal! Maybe not.

Offline Barro

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3486 on: February 17, 2011, 02:05:07 PM »
Im sure its fine mate if the physio wasnt worried. Youre lucky to have such a strong rehab program, Im having physio once a fortnight! Hope its all ok.

In other news I have just managed to bend to put a sock on my right foot by myself for the first time in nine weeks. BIG MOMENT!

Offline verbal

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3487 on: February 17, 2011, 04:15:01 PM »
Hi guys, I started a thread and was pointed this way so i've cut 'n' paste into here.. Thanks in advance for any support and advice. :)

I ruptured my patella tendon on Jan 21st, Operation was on Feb 10th and am currently in a 10° bend full leg plaster (in black may I add). I'm having my staples out next Tuesday and am expecting to be in plaster for another 5-7 weeks, then a 30° ROM leg brace for i'm not sure how long.

What happens then guys? I'm totally new to all this, never had a day off on the sick before (34yrs old). I had a claustrophobic panic the other day with my leg, is this normal?  Huh I'm getting a bit pee'd off not being able to carry a cuppa into the living room!! Which now houses my bed btw..

How long off work is expected? Driving? Cycling?
31/01/11 Fell Downstairs Ruptured Left Patella Tendon
10/02/11 Surgery Pinned And Repaired
22/03/11 Plaster Removed & T-Scope Brace Fitted
6 months post op, Current ROM 90-100°

Offline playshardgetshurt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3488 on: February 17, 2011, 07:39:11 PM »
Hello everyone

I saw the Dr. on Tuesday and he tested my ACL and it was good and strong.  He moved my patella around and it had good movement.  He then cleared me to start walking with the brace locked for now.  I am walking with one crutch trying to get used to take so I can ditch the crutches.  I am going to my first therapy since he said I could bear weight this afternoon.  He wrote aggressive ROM on the therapy script.  I have a feeling this is going to hurt.  I am still only a little over 60 degrees flexion and need to improve.  I also have pains that shoot through my knee every now and then.  They last a few seconds and then are gone.  Also I hear a pop every now and then and I figure it is scar tissue breaking up.  That Barca Arsenal game was good. I thought Arsenal was done but they came back strong in the 2nd half.  Hope it is going well for everyone. 
11/27/10 ruptured 80% of patellar tendon with the other 20% described as wavy, ACL rupture, MCL tear, retinaculum tear, and 3 meniscus tears.  Surgery to fix all this on 1/3/11.  Patellar rupture fixed with sutures. Hamstring graft for ACL, 1 meniscectomy, 2 meniscus repairs

Offline NHS

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3489 on: February 18, 2011, 05:17:53 PM »
Hi guys, I started a thread and was pointed this way so i've cut 'n' paste into here.. Thanks in advance for any support and advice. :)

I ruptured my patella tendon on Jan 21st, Operation was on Feb 10th and am currently in a 10° bend full leg plaster (in black may I add). I'm having my staples out next Tuesday and am expecting to be in plaster for another 5-7 weeks, then a 30° ROM leg brace for i'm not sure how long.

What happens then guys? I'm totally new to all this, never had a day off on the sick before (34yrs old). I had a claustrophobic panic the other day with my leg, is this normal?  Huh I'm getting a bit pee'd off not being able to carry a cuppa into the living room!! Which now houses my bed btw..

How long off work is expected? Driving? Cycling?

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your injury.
It's a long haul, but hang on in there and you should make a full recovery.
You have youth on your side and your healing should be quicker than us old 'uns.

Cast time is a bit of a downer, try to tension your leg muscles while in the cast as the main problem with this injury is the wasting of your quad and knee muscles. It takes about 12 weeks for the tendon to heal before you can start to use it again and build up the muscles.

See if you can get your cast off earlier and get a brace.

Depends on what work you do, but it could takes 6 to 12 months to get back to normal.

Automatics are easier to drive but you need to be able to stop the car in an emergency, I think I started to drive again around 3 months post op.

Date of Injury - 5th March 2010
Repair date - 12th March 2010
Right Ruptured Patella Tendon Repair
Cast removed - 14th April 2010
Wire loop
ROM 130

Offline Capt. John

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3490 on: February 20, 2011, 08:43:12 PM »
Hello All!

Barro - move the kneecap side to side as much as possible. That will loosen it up and is what my OS started me doing at 6wks.

Playshardgetshurt - sounds like things are finally moving for you - great!

At 6wks, my OS did not want me to do anything except work rom, open brace gradually to 100, massage scar and kneecap and see him March 7, which will be a day shy of 11 wks post-op. I was not given any PT. I'm a few days shy of 9 weeks. My rom is easily 100 without pain, too much stiffness, etc., and almost 120 with some work and in the morning when swelling is down.

I decided to gradually start rehab last week (8 weeks). I have had 4 pool sesssions this past week that range from starting out swimming 1000 yds all freestyle to 1500 yds freestyle with a "light" flutter kick - non stop. 1500 yds takes me 30 minutes at this pace. I'm also using very short training fins used by swimmers. My knee FELT GREAT after this, and swelling from the end of the day actually went down after swimming! I believe it's mostly from getting the heart pumping while in a horizontal position for awhile. After laps, I remained in the pool and did 3 sets of leg extension and leg curls with the fin on - carefully adjusting the speed as to not stress the tendon. I finished each session with 5 minutes of powerwalking. All worked really well.

I also started stationary biking with the seat up high, but have lowered it 3 adjustments as of today. 3 bike sessions this week, starting off 10 minutes and ending the week with a 20 minute session. No pain, but some tightness on the outer lower part of the kneecap. It was amazing how easy and loose walking felt after biking. I actually could walk without limping for awhile...

Only problem was that after the first session I decided to throw in walking up/down some stairs after biking and swimming. I started very careful and assisted, but was able to end without needing help going up/down, and it did not hurt at all. However, the next two days I was pretty sore so I rested and eliminated stair walking for now. Obviously is still too ealy for that. I also started the week without the brace, but noticed the knee got too sore at the end of the day so I went back to wearing it to help the tendon, support, etc.

I plan on staying with biking every day for 20 minutes and swimming & other pool work every other day in addition to my weekly weight routine. One thing I kind of did not push this week was working rom that hard. I plan on pushing that a bit this week to see if I can get to the final adjustment on my brace - 120...I'll let you know how it goes.

PS - Coincidently one of my buddies at work was doing a PT test for an assignment and went to push off & up over a walll - went down in pain, clutching his knee. I told everybody it was a patellar rupture - some doubted me...He just had surgery for it yesterday...Now they are calling me "Doc."  :)

John

49 yr. very athletic male - Complete rupture of the lower right patellar tendon after partner stepped on foot durring sparring Dec. 18, 2010. Surgery using permanant sutures on Dec. 21, 2010 (no temporary wire) and placed in a Velcro Leg immobilizer.
Surgeon was Dr. Hanna, Riverside Kaiser Hospital

Offline Lokinen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3491 on: February 21, 2011, 01:44:13 PM »
Hi All,
Just returned from my 2nd PT session.Very aggressive bending of joint, managed 85 degrees bringing knee up towards me whilst sitting up. Managed to hold leg held straight out, off bed by an inch or so for about 20 seconds using quads.Next session is 2 weeks or not at all if Appt for hydro with same PT comes through first.
Found out for the first time what the detail of my injury is. Small piece of bone at top of shin where tendon attached, broke away. Re-attached with wire and small holes drilled in Patella at other end.
Slipped on ice 30th Nov 2010. RPT
Surgery to Repair and loop wire fitted 2nd Dec 2010
2 weeks solid brace, 3 weeks  0-30
4 weeks 0-60
PT started  9th Feb 2010.Brace at 0-90

Offline Barro

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3492 on: February 21, 2011, 02:24:51 PM »
Hi all, glad to hear people are progessing - and welcome aboard Verbal - we know how you feel!

Well I'm just over 9 weeks post op and saw my OS for the first time today. X-ray was fine. I showed him I can bend my leg actively to about 90 degrees now.

He then said I could ditch the brace. Bearing in mind I was told I would need to wear the brace until the end of March, I obviously questioned this but he seemed to shrug off my questions. I asked what would happen if I fell and he admitted there was a chance of re-rupture. Then I asked what sort of movement I could expect back and he said not much past 100! I questioned this too but he didnt seem to want to explain what he had said. I remember someone else posting on here that these doctors dont realise how much impact words like that can have. I came out feeling really confused and not knowing what to do.

I've decided I will open the brace to 90 and keep wearing it when outside until next Tuesday when I see the PT and then ask about removing the brace. The PT is surely better placed to advise in terms of ROM etc so I am not letting what he said get to me. I just wish these doctors would appreciate that I am a person, not just a knee, and using throwaway comments to tell me I wont get enough movment back to run etc again could f***ing BREAK my spirit.

Hopr the recoveries are coming on everyone - I told the doc next time I saw him in 7 weeks I would be 'well past' 100 ROM - now just have to get there!

Offline Capt. John

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3493 on: February 21, 2011, 06:28:27 PM »
Verbal - Hang in there and read the posts to get an idea where you will be weekly. For now, chill and heal!

Hey Barro,

First, regarding the brace. Tomorrow I'm officially 9 wks. I sometimes use it, sometimes do not depending upon how the knee feels. It does give it support, so at this stage and especially on a cold day and after a hard rehab - I wear it. Also, I went out for dinner and a few pints Saturday - I wore it for protection mostly, but also support (don't want to get too loose and clumsy after a few Guinness  :)) I have a passive rom around 105, depending upon how I feel. I can easily get 110-115 while stretching - right now I keep it locked at 100. Sometimes I wear it while stretching so that I can see my exact rom. I have not been wearing any brace at night since 6.5 wks and have not had any issues. I took that advice from one of our earlier posters. I plan on ditching my brace around the 12 week mark. That is when I know I will be pushing the rehab more and should be walking without a limp.

Regarding what you can expect ROM wise. Well, I just ran into ANOTHER co-worker who had this injury 3 years ago. I would best describe him as a "weekend warrior," but definitely not a fitness guy. I asked him how much rom he got back, and he grabbed his ankle and nearly stuff his foot up his ass! He had more rom than I had on my good leg! This guy plays basketball and softball regularly. The other co-worker ruptured his tendon playing basketball a couple years ago. Today, he is a Jiu-jitsu instructor - I don't have to tell you what kind of flexibility is needed for that. Both had full ruptures. Additionally, one of their doctors told one to start walking unassisted after just a few weeks and did not have him in a brace after 6 wks.! yes, these darn docs are all over the page with this injury!

Now, all that said, logic dictates that your rom could be impacted if they had to remove some substantial tendon at one end or the other. However, I know that tendons can stretch, and everything else being equal, regaining rom is influenced greatly by your stretching program.

Hang in there everybody...John

49 yr. very athletic male - Complete rupture of the lower right patellar tendon after partner stepped on foot durring sparring Dec. 18, 2010. Surgery using permanant sutures on Dec. 21, 2010 (no temporary wire) and placed in a Velcro Leg immobilizer.
Surgeon was Dr. Hanna, Riverside Kaiser Hospital

Offline Barro

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3494 on: February 21, 2011, 10:27:04 PM »
Hey John, thanks a lot for the words of support. Although i think you should get another job - that place seems cursed!

Seems like you're doing really well, and your advice seems spot on. Im going to start to wear the brace less around the house and not while sleeping, but for the moment will wear it for support when I go outside - especially on a night out as Im pretty fond of a guiness myself!

I thought back to my PT session and she was asking me what sports I played. I said football/tennis/run regularly and cycle to work - she said her aim was to-get me back to all of those and she didnt say I wouldnt be able to - so I think I'll listen to her over the OS on this. Im determined to get a good rom back and prove that surgeon wrong. When I do I'll tell him he should be more careful what he says to people. If i didnt have this board and advice from my sister in law (who is a PT) I could easily have got downhearted and not pushed the rehab.

verbal - its a long road and there are plenty of ups and downs as you can see. Hope everyone is getting there.... keep that chin up  :)