Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1178279 times)

Offline Rosbif

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2004, 06:53:12 PM »
John, before my surgery a junior doctor told me they would have to remove the wire after 3months. However, when I spoke to the OS after the surgery, he told me that he had used the dissolvable wire so that wouldn't be necessary.

I know all about inconvenience. I live on the 4th floor of a 100 year old apartment building. NO LIFT :o . The quads in my good leg are now huge from going up and down all those steps with my immobilisor on. Think when my immobilsor comes off I'll be walking in circles.
Patella Tendon rupture when a drunk fell on my leg.
Open surgery repair with disolvable wire loop 29.01.04

Offline EngKnee

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2004, 10:12:03 PM »
Rosbif aka Kim I think,  That is incredible what you've endured on crutches, I can't even imagine trying something like that but if I had to I guess I'd just do it like you did, amazing stuff.  I got the staples out just a couple of hours ago and was fitted with a new adjustable brace, set at zero of course, so I feel like I'm finally making some progress.  Also he surprised me by saying it was OK to put weight on the knee as long as its straight, so far I haven't really put much on it because I'm not used to doing it yet but I will try a little at a time until I feel comfortable. It feels abnormal to put weight on it now, imagine that.  Little steps add up to normality I hope.  The tough part for me now is to try and not put on any extra weight as I'm not doing any exercise to burn it off.  I'm sure I've put on at least 10 pounds in the last month and I've got to stop having sweets like ice cream and brownies.  Now where is my nurse I need a bath badly. John C.
Ruptured Patellar Tendon lower left leg 3-30-04 while playing basketball
Open surgery to repair 4-12-04 , sans wire loop
Brace removed/heavy PT since 8-11-04
Able to dance w/o complications 1 yr. post-op

Offline Nigel

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2004, 10:35:27 PM »
I LOST weight post-op, I think it was being out of reach of the snacks for a while!!

John, I too was chewing the carpet at your stage at not being able to get about. But within a week or so of that I found I could get in my wife's car and, (a) because it's an auto transmission (unusual here in UK) and (b) because it's my left leg that's hurt, I could actually drive it! Well at first I couldn't because it was just too uncomfortable, but by slackening off the top straps of the immobiliser and tilting the seat forward I could fit. Hope you have the same experiences.

Rosbif, what exercises did they give you for quads (and which do you think worked best)?

Nigel

Left patellar tendon break and repair with wire loop mid-Mar '04.
Full recovery, signed off by OS in September.

Offline EngKnee

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2004, 04:10:42 AM »
 ;D  Hi All Hope everyone is doing well, at least as well as I am today  8) What a difference a day makes, last fri. I had the ol' staples removed and the Doc gave me the goahead to put weight on the leg so I very gingerly took his advice and started to put some weight on it, it felt real stiff at first, as to be expected I guess.  On Sat. I went to the Redskin Draft Party at the stadium near DC and I walked and walked and walked to the point where I was tired but didn't feel the least bit of pain at that point, so I walked some more.  All told I probably walked over a mile, all over the stadium, the field, the parking lot for over a five hour period, I did rest some but for the most part I was on the go all day.  It was tough to keep up with the cheerleaders but I tried my best ::)  On Sunday I woke up early expecting alot of pain and discomfort and lo and behold I felt great!  I then took Nigel's advice and tried to get into my Truck, very gingerly at first but I did it and it felt absolutely wonderful to be able to go somewhere on my own for the first time since Mar. 30th.  I was fitted with the adjustable brace this time set at zero position and will have to keep it at this angle for four more weeks until end of May.  The Doc didn't recommend any exercises at this time but I feel like I could probably do some but haven't tried too much yet.  Life is good again!  John C.

Offline Rosbif

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2004, 11:56:54 AM »
Good Morning, Unfortunately I injured my right leg so driving is out. Also I drive a manual so it wud be a bit tricky. Think I really got a bad deal with having a cast instead of an adjustable brace. Spend half the time in my physio sessions just trying to release some of the tension from the muscles in that leg, from having it straight all day (now for 13 weeks).

For quads I'm now doing a lot of straight leg raises with ankle weights. Full arc extensions are still a bit too painfull and difficult. Hope things will improve after the end of this week when I remove my cast for the last time.

Rosbif (Tony)

Offline Rosbif

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2004, 02:06:17 PM »
Will finally take my cast off for the last time tomorrow.

Saw OS on Monday. He had a look at the knee, got me to walk a bit without the cast and said it was ok to get rid of it. But then looked at his notes and saw that the OS who did the op, had put 14 weeks post-op with cast (until 6May). So the OS changed his mind and said keep it on.

Its really a bad system here in Germany. I wasn't able to choose the OS coz it was an accident and was taken to the hospital by ambulance. But you cannot see the OS who did the Op after you leave the hospital. The new OS didn't really seem interested, I guess because he didn't do the op.

Anyway I've had enough of wearing the cast  >:( and its coming off.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 02:06:52 PM by Rosbif »

Offline EngKnee

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2004, 11:13:33 PM »
Way to go Tony, there is hope after all.  My new found freedom is great but my knee still looks terrible, all hard, swollen and numb to the touch, is that the way your was?  I walked all about an old Coast Guard Cutter today in Balt. while on a field trip with my class and was able to get around pretty good without crutches, just the slow careful limp.  My leg looks wierd with my calf muscle almost nonexistent and flab on my thigh up to my rock hard knee, looks totally different from the good leg.  It's still great to be driving though, will try to get home to WV this weekend to check out the homefront. John C.

Offline Nigel

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2004, 11:53:36 PM »
Hi Tony & John, glad to hear everyone gritting teeth and looking forward to being brace-free. I've been a week now - they said I should wean myself off it but I threw it straight under the bed and there it stayed. Been to the gym and doing static cycling and rowing machine, quad muscle tells me "you're having a laugh, aren't you?"

Just had this snippet on an email from an old family contact - I told him about my knee and here's what he sent back:

Offline Nigel

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
As an aside I Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2004, 11:56:02 PM »
...continued (sorry hit the alt-s by mistake!):

"I remember my grandfather showing my sons his left knee cap which was liberally spread about his knee. As they marvelled over this he told them that he had been kicked by a horse when he was twelve. They asked what he did next, to which he replied "Went on to school - couldn't afford the doctor". Tough or what? The strange thing was, even at 89 years of age, that knee was completely mobile with no hint of arthritis. Perhaps we should all be kicked by a horse now and again!"

Best, Nigel

Offline Rosbif

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2004, 11:45:02 AM »
Hi John, yes my knee was very swollen and numb for quite a few weeks after my op. Still a little swollen and a small numb area, but it has improved a lot. My quads turned to mush but didn't have any problem with the calf muscle.

Did u have any luck getting hold of a CPM machine?

seems you a lot more mobile than I was at your stage.

Offline Nigel

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2004, 11:18:37 PM »
I suppose none of us are going to win beauty contests at this stage. My knee seems to stick out further than it should and when I get tired it feels like the kneecap is overhanging and, well, drooping. I wonder if that's because the quad muscle isn't strong enough to keep it held up? I did some static cycling and rowing yesterday evening and this morning knee felt really good and tightened up, but this evening..drooping again! Anyone else the same?

BTW can't do straight leg raises at all yet, let alone with weights!

Nigel

Offline kdhfrank

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2004, 12:17:46 AM »
Nigel

actually i must admit...my scar is quite beautiful...for a scar. thought for sure it will be ugly with a zipper like appearance from the staples...but alas, it is very nice, almost invisible...(i am a nov. 03 patellar tendon rupture done by the hands of my old fired OS)...anyways, yes my quad is still mush compared to the right leg yet i am limited in what exercises i can do until my arthrofibrosis procedure is done in june. i think (as explained to my by cincinnati sports medicine) that quad atrophy does cause the knee cap to ride lower due to the shortening of the patellar tendon. it was stressed to me to get back in the water (i am a recently retired competitive swimmer) as kicking with fins will help build up the quad and keep the knee cap from being pulled lower (this is called patellar baja)...seems the expert on this is heather m. on the forum...you can usually find her posts in the soft tissue healing area. my pt also told me of an exercise to build up the VMO. take a small ball and place behind the knee and stand against a wall (heels to the wall) and press back into the ball...you will feel the burn...great exercise and low impact...i would take it easy on major flexion exercises and high impact so as not to cause further problems if your knee cap is riding low...hope this helps!...i can feel my quads getting stronger daily by swimming 1 to 2 miles every day...and yes i could not do straight leg lifts at first either...and then it just happened!

kim from atlanta
L pat. dislocation, 1977;  run over by a car, L pat. dislocat., multiple burns & fxs, 1981; L knee scope, 8/03; L knee MUA, 10/03; L knee MUA & patellar tendon rupt; 6/22/04 lysis, debride, pat. baja!

Offline Nigel

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2004, 01:08:24 AM »
Kim, thanks, that's really interesting. Not sure what the VMOs are but I gather part of the quad muscle?

I've been lucky enough to get back good ROM (now virtually full) quite quickly post-op, so that has tempted me to start high flexion exercises like rowing machine - but maybe I should take it easy on that. My PT recommends slow static cycling with the seat height set slightly low and a high-ish resistance setting to work the quad. I'll definitely try that ball-against-the-wall trick (if I can find one the dogs haven't chewed). I can believe swimming would be good, it's just never been my thing. Maybe I'll just kick a bit in the bath.  ::)

Nigel

Offline kdhfrank

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2004, 06:13:04 PM »
nigel

the vmo is the tear dropped shaped muscle (very noticeable on bikers). it is that muscle above the knee cap on the medial (inside) part of the thigh...this is how i can best explain it. i think it helps with patellar tracking and stabilization and thus is very important, ask your PT or OS about it...especially since you sound like your knee cap is moving more that it should.

kim
L pat. dislocation, 1977;  run over by a car, L pat. dislocat., multiple burns & fxs, 1981; L knee scope, 8/03; L knee MUA, 10/03; L knee MUA & patellar tendon rupt; 6/22/04 lysis, debride, pat. baja!

Offline EngKnee

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2004, 09:20:47 PM »
Kim, Nigel, Tony, Janet et al,  This thread continues to amaze me in it's helpfulness to those afflicted with our plight, I for one am learning all sorts of information about things that we took for granted and assumed would take care of itself.  Lately I have noticed a noticeable improvement in my knee, topically speaking, I have used vitamin E liquid on my scar and have seen the lines of the scapel become less and less visible.  The pain has subsided and last night I even slept peacefully without my brace fully cinched up for the first time.  When we all get over the hard part which it seems like most of us have, we will have a new understanding of the importance of the muscles surrounding our knee and in all liklihood we'll be paying more attention to those muscles in our daily workouts.  John C.

support