Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1201271 times)

Offline EngKnee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2004, 05:00:59 AM »
 :) Kim

Thanks for the post and the encouraging remark to me and my stubborn-self.  I'm sorry to read your story of the bad OS and subsequent long recovery period and restricted ROM, hopefully not permanent.  I still haven't talked with my OS to see how the surgery went but I should  see by his orders that he doesn't want to see me for 10 days to remove the staples, duh, so it's probably alright.  I've had similar experiences going to the bathroom in the middle of the night, some nights on an hourly basis or so it seemed in my blurred state, haven't had an accident yet.....I have been going to class in a wheelchair with the left leg elevated and that was cleared by the OS so I guess it's ok.  Good Luck and keep in touch. John C.
Ruptured Patellar Tendon lower left leg 3-30-04 while playing basketball
Open surgery to repair 4-12-04 , sans wire loop
Brace removed/heavy PT since 8-11-04
Able to dance w/o complications 1 yr. post-op

Offline Rosbif

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2004, 11:56:56 AM »
Hi John,

a cpm machine is a Continous Passive Motion machine. It bends your knee for you without using the muscles. this link explains it better: http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_information/html/healthy_living/physical/knee/rehab.html

You can rent them. Think here it cost the equiv of $20 per day, but my insurance covered it. You only need it for a few weeks, just until you are able to bend you knee easily yourself. You really should ask your OS about getting one as it is essential for getting good ROM back.

By the way, how did you rupture your tendon?

hope this helps. ;D
Patella Tendon rupture when a drunk fell on my leg.
Open surgery repair with disolvable wire loop 29.01.04

Offline EngKnee

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2004, 08:19:23 PM »
Tony,  Thanks for the info per CPM machine I will talk with my OS about it if I can ever get ahold of him.  I got my injury while thinking I could play some harmless pick-up basketball on a rubber surface, ie an unforgiving surface.  I was just dribbling the ball down the court and trying to be cool by not paying attention to my feet and looking around the court for someone to pass to and then Wham!! ??? :-[ :-/ :o :( all these thoughts went racing thru my mind at once but I knew by the sound of crunching walnuts that it was more than a sprain, then I observed by kneecap being out of its traditional place and hole instead, I knew I was done playing for awhile.  John C.

Offline Nigel

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2004, 11:37:01 PM »
Kim, we "tendon team" all sympathise with you, you've had a ghastly time. I can now see why the OSs (especially my French one, and to a lesser extent the Brit) stress keeping the immobiliser one for 6wks+. I've been a bit naughty this week taking it off in the office for an hour or so at a time. From here on I'm not tempting fate!

For me pain relief hasn't really been a big problem since about week 2. In the UK all the over-the-counter painkillers are combinations of aspirin, paracetamol (=Tylenol?), ibruprofen and lastly codeine which is a bit stronger but causes constipation!

By the way, how did the rest of you bust your knees? I was skiing, just hit an icy lump a bit hard in a turn and it went snap. But I'm pretty sure it was a result of a bang below the knee about 20 years ago while I was in the Army. I thought I had it finally cleared up some years back but from what I've read you can build up "microtrauma" to the tendon which finally causes the failure. A healthy tendon takes 17 x bodyweight to break. Apparently once you turn 40 you're more likely to break the tendon above the patella but still in my case (I'm 45) the previous injury was below so that's where it broke.

Here's to quads of steel for us all by Christmas!! What about a "before and after" competition?

Nigel
Left patellar tendon break and repair with wire loop mid-Mar '04.
Full recovery, signed off by OS in September.

Offline EngKnee

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2004, 04:58:28 AM »
Hey Guys and Girls how's it going?  Not much in the way of activity lately so I figured I'd ask the burning question that we all wanted to ask, that is, how do you take a bath with a knee that doesn't want or can't be moved?  Since my injury on Mar. 31st, I've had two assisted baths, just two!! ::) Of course I've given myself the ol "spit bath" where you just wet a wash cloth and wipe yourself down along with the occasional shampoo session daily but an honest to goodness, feel fresh and clean bath, naaah! :-[  I've had to enlist the help of a long-time friend's wife who just happened to be a nurse, to help me with my now weekly ritual.  The fact that she's a nurse helps to keep embarrassment to a minimum and then only the first time, now I have no reservations at all to strip down and amble my way to the tub in front of her since it's all about keeping a pathetic gimb clean. 8)  I'm sure you all have stories about this all-important aspect of recovery, by all means, share it with the group. John C

Offline Nigel

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2004, 04:11:49 PM »
Re baths and showers, I managed okay. At first just leaned into the shower and at least got my head/top half done. With crutches was able to get in/out properly (but carefully!) after about wk2....blissssss!!

I think you can shower while the staples are still in (I certainly did) but they say don't get immerse knee in the bath until staples come out?

I stayed out of bath until about wk4, tried but leg was too tender without the immobiliser. But now (10 days later) I'm hopping in with no trouble. A good place to do passive ROM exercises as deepish water gives a lot of support, also a chance to massage the knee with various gunk my wife leaves around the place. Never thought I'd become Aloe Vera Man but needs must.

A week or two and I bet you'll be able to go solo. Sorry!!

Nigel

Offline EngKnee

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2004, 05:45:35 PM »
Nigel, I forgot to mention the most important aspect to my latest post, that is, the stool inside the tub, without it I doubt I would be able to get in the tub at all.  I'll be happy to be able to do it myself thank you when the time comes but until then I will enjoy the kindness of my friendly nurse.  I like it especially when she does my feet, incredible stuff ;D   John C

Offline Rosbif

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2004, 12:34:22 PM »
I ruptured my tendon whilst waiting for a taxi. I was stood between 2 friends, next moment I'm on the floor after some drunk went flying into the back of my knee. think his shoulder connected with my knee. Unfortunately he wandered off before the Police arrived so I can't sue. My knee was around to the side and I couldn't even stand on my good leg as the pain was so bad.

ref showers - I started off with a bin bag around my cast, but after a couple of weeks started showering without my cast and just being very very careful. Luckily I have a very low shower basin.

My hospital was on the most famous gay street in Hamburg.
On my first morning in there a very effeminate male nurse came in with a wash basin asking if I wanted a bed bath. I politely but very quickly declined  :o.

Offline Nigel

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2004, 08:13:01 PM »
EngKnee/John,

Just seen the ortho at 6 wk point. Good news is he's okay'd me to lose the brace, start active PT and go to full WB as soon as I can bear. I've got 130 degrees of ROM which he said is extremely good at this stage. Quads are shot to hell of course which is to be expected...I can't even lift my heel off the ground when I'm sitting down with leg straight out! Amazing.

Only bad news is he said they need to open the whole knee up (top to bottom) again eventually to take the wire out. Bit of a bummer as I thought it could be done with arthroscope. Wire can stay in if it causes no trouble but apparently they often break eventually.

How are you doing?

Cheers, Nigel

Offline EngKnee

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2004, 08:24:21 PM »
Nigel,
Great News except for the extraction procedure which I was wondering about earlier.  Tommorrow I get my staples removed from the knee so that is some progress I guess.  I too have trouble lifting my ankle off the ground when lying down and I was wondering if I am able to try to work that to the point where I can do it more easily lest I can't do it at all.  I'll have to inquire tommorrow about that.  Looking forward to getting out this weekend, plan to go to a Redskin party where I'll be able to oogle the cheerleaders and get my picture taken with the super bowl trophies, big deal for me.  Might even try to sneak a trip back home in WV to check on the house......I don't want to try too much just yet.
John C.

Offline Nigel

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2004, 09:33:10 PM »
John - they didn't let me do any active leg lifting until now in case I pulled the tendon repair apart. Maybe another example of different protocols in different countries. I think US medics favour aggressive early rehab where possible and I have to say that might be right for a lot of people. I've been pushing the boundaries of what they've said I can do, and so far got away with it.

I've just tried walking without crutches this afternoon, and I can just about manage it...sloooowly.

Should be more comfortable after your staples come out. Then you can start loosening up the skin over your kneecap.

Redskins? - you in DC, then?

Nigel

Offline EngKnee

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2004, 11:45:25 PM »
Nigel
Yes I'm a hopeless Redskin Fan, I live pretty close to DC when I'm home and now that I'm in Md. on the eastern shore I'm only about an hour and change away from the stadium.  They are having open house on Sat. where we can meet the players, coaches, cheerleaders et al and enjoy Draft day where we get the fifth overall pick from the nation's best collegiate footballers.  I'm looking for big improvement this year with Coach Gibbs coming back and a bunch of talented new players.  I've got to get out some as this knee business is very boring to my usually great social life.
John C.

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2004, 05:54:51 AM »
I'm so glad your surgery went well. You still have a long road of rehab ahead of you, but it's great to hear things are going well now. Dont' be surprised if you have good days and not so good days, encouraging days and frustrating days. One day it will all be worth it.

I had trouble in the shower because I couldn't bend my knee at all. After a couple of weeks of sponge baths and washing my hair in the sink, a real shower felt so good! I would just go in with my crutches. I couldn't never take a bath because I couldn't get in and out of the tub.

As for me, I ruptured my (quad) tendon with a simple fall on a wet floor at work. I went down in a hurdle position with my leg bent behind me. I was able to get up and walk with pain, and I think I tore it all the way when I tried to go downstairs to get to my car. I'll never again laugh at those stupid commercials: "Injured in a slip and fall, call (some attorney)"!

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Rosbif

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2004, 12:03:05 PM »
Nigel,
Not being able to lift your leg straight up is a little alarming at first, but after a couple of weeks of PT you'll be able to manage it no problem. I'm 12 weeeks post-op and now gradually increasing the weight in my ankle weights for the straight leg raise. Although I still have to wear my immobilsor when not at home. Seeing OS on Monday, so hoping I can get rid of it.

Pity about the wire removal. My OS used a dissolvable wire, so no need to go in and remove it. Apparently it should dissolve completely in 3 months.

Offline EngKnee

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2004, 05:00:05 PM »
I wonder why on earth one doc would use a dissolvable wire and another would use one that doesn't so he has to go back in there and remove it, doesn't much make sense to me. ??? ??? Maybe they have an explanation of  it that would satisfy even the harshest critic. I go to get my staples removed today so maybe my doc will let start doing something except what I'm doing which is absolutely nothing.  This helpless feeling has got to start to go away or I'm going crazy  :P  My class here in Md. ends in two weeks at which time I'll have to figure a way to get back home to WV. that should be a royal inconvenience to somebody close to me.  Hopefully someone will have the day off so they can come and rescue me.  When I get home I'll have a whole bunch of new obstacles to hurdle in that I live in the country and I won't be able to drive. This should be fun.  John C.

support