Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Kathleen's Surgery  (Read 1565 times)

Offline JG

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Kathleen's Surgery
« on: June 14, 2004, 06:28:11 AM »
Hi Kathleen,

Just wondering how you surgery went on Thursday. Keep us posted.

Janice
Sept-99 - L knee LR
Aug-02 - L knee LR/menisectomy
Apr-03 - L Knee Mosaicplasty Using Allograft (18 grafts)/LR/debridement/menisectomy; Right Knee menisectomy.
Apr-04 - L Scope - LR/Lysis Adhesions

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: Kathleen's Surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 04:10:34 PM »
Hi Janice,

Thank you for your concern.   Surgery went as well as could be expected, I suppose.  It was an open procedure this time so I had a bit of problems afterwards with the pain.  The anesthesiologist didnt want to let me go home but after a little oxycontin the pain was a bit more bearable and he let me go.  
My OS mentioned that I have a fairly significant 'kissing lesion' on the tibial plateu but being all drugged up at that moment, I dont remember what else he said about it.  He also said that I had alot of scar tissue which he removed and put me on the CPM to try to prevent it from happening again.  As far as the original plug, it was a mess, and was completely replaced.  
I have a follow up appointment on Friday so I will find out so much more then.  Being all drugged up didnt help in getting all the info I needed.  Even right now, I'm feeling like I'm in la la land so I apoligize if this isnt making much sense.  
I will post more later when my head is a bit clearer but thanks again for the concern.  
right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline JG

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 10:09:00 PM »
Kathleen,

It's good to hear that all went well.  I didn't realize you first procedure was not open.  Mine was open, so I have a scar about 6-7 inches.  My surgery required that my patella tendon be cut (about 3/4 thru).  Hopefully this graft will heal better.

Just a quick update, I went for my 7 week post-op visit and talked to my surgeon about my medial joint pain.  He wasn't convinced it was in the joint, but was something outside the joint...soft tissue.  So he injected the joint with lidocaine.   If it stopped hurting, it was the joint not the soft tissue.  I would say within 5 seconds all my medial joint pain was gone.  He x-rayed it and looked at the MRI again.  Turns out I have a stress fracture starting at the graft site on the medial femoral chondyle going about 3 inches up the femur.

He gave me two choices, go on crutches for an extended period of time (8-16 weeks) or use an unloader brace for the rest of the year.  I opted for the unloader.  Hopefully, this will take care of it.  He said that if it is not significantly better in 3 months, I should use the crutches until the end of the year.

So just a reminder, rest the grafts!

Janice
Sept-99 - L knee LR
Aug-02 - L knee LR/menisectomy
Apr-03 - L Knee Mosaicplasty Using Allograft (18 grafts)/LR/debridement/menisectomy; Right Knee menisectomy.
Apr-04 - L Scope - LR/Lysis Adhesions

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 07:42:49 PM »
What a difference a week makes!!!  I saw my Os on friday and apparently what I remembered from speaking with him after the surgery wasnt really to accurate.  Gotta love the drugs huh.   Anyway, the original plug didnt look bad via the scope, he was a bit perplexed at that but proceeded to the open procedure because of all the pain I was experiencing.  It was then that he saw the defect in the plug and fixed it.  I am really glad he did because right now it feels good.  
He did point out the kissing lesion which I do remember after surgery.  He said on friday that there has been significant changes in it since my last surgery in dec.  Right now it is beginning to shred but is not yet to the bone.  The encouraging thing is that he said that there are new ways of fixing tibial platue defects begin tried with some success so hopefully I can last a few years before I need to have something done.
I started PT yesterday to help with ROM and quad strength. My rom at home with the cpm is about 65 but my pt pushed it to 75!  I was really pleased as was she.
The incision is healing great, a little numbness there but hopefully it will come back.  
Generally I am feeling extremely confident that things will work out fine.  

Janice,  

Sorry about all the troubles you have been having.  At least now you know what is causing all the pain you are having and can try to concentrate on healing that fracture.  My sister had a stress fracture on the distal femur which did take a while to heal.  Hang in there and take care of that knee.  

Kathy
right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

support