Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: UniSpacer alternative to replacement  (Read 1730 times)

Offline davedoc911

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
    • UniSpacer
UniSpacer alternative to replacement
« on: June 08, 2004, 02:19:40 AM »
We have had numerous sucesses with a  large number of UniSpacer's performed for painful cartilage deficient knees. We  are advised that we have performed the greatest number of UniSpacer procedures in the Midwest. The procedure doesn't really have an an age-related indication, it does ,however, have a knee anatomy- related indication. For the appropriate patients, the UniSpacer is a very good option to other more invasive knee procedures that totally or even partially replace the knee joint.

-- David Trotter, MD ([email protected]), June 07, 2004

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: UniSpacer alternative to replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 05:14:36 AM »
I dont know if you're supposed to advocate procedures here. That would be something to ask about. I do know that there have been a number of threads in the joint replacement sections regarding the unispacer, most with unfavorable results. You might want to search the archives and see what those people said about their experiences with the unispacer.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline davedoc911

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
    • UniSpacer
Re: UniSpacer alternative to replacement
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 07:17:59 AM »
The UniSpacer isnt advocated or non-advocated. However, as there are endless posts and even whole categories established by knee guru/geeks relating to specific types of surgery like scopes,  osteotomies, partial and complete replacements, ACL's etc etc, it would certainly appear appropriate for any patient or doctor to elevate the public's attention to a procedure that didnt appear to be getting much attention.

Regarding some negative posts, it's not unusual for some people that have had unfortunate experiences to vent online. Those negative posts do the public a service and should be balanced against posts that highlight positive experiences. In fact, there is even a whole catagory that advocates publishing success stories. There is even another that requests posts for unicompartmentals, which the 'spacer' falls under. Finally, under the total replacement catagory, there are many posts describ- ing alternatives. Thanx for your input.