Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patellar Malalignment  (Read 942 times)

Offline GimpSticks17

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Patellar Malalignment
« on: June 07, 2004, 08:05:33 PM »
Hi, Im new and i wanted to know if anyone ever heard of patellar malalignment or patellar subluxation. My kneecaps dont sit in the groove they are suposed to sit in. Actually they dont sit near it. My Ortho did a sunrise xray to figure that out. Now i have to do PT to get my knee restrengthend and then i am facing surgery to put my left knee cap back in place. Anyway if anyone knows any info please share it.
Gimpsticks

Offline princesstina

• Regular Poster
  • My OS says I can trip on a single blade of grass!
Re: Patellar Malalignment
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 08:22:38 PM »
This is part of my problem as well. I will be having surgery sometime this month. I see my doctor on thursday and will know the date for certain then. I'll let you know more as soon as I do!
messed up knees since high school. 1998 R knee arthoscopyx2 once for repair,once for removal
6/15/04 L knee arthoscopic LR

Offline FieryMayhem

• Forum Faithful
  • My OS says we can play air hockey with my knee cap
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 08:35:32 PM »
Gimpsticks,

There are quite a few of us around here how have malalignment and subluxation issues with our kneecaps, me being one of them.  Actually, I just had surgery 3 weeks ago to fix that on my right knee, and if I'm not careful, I'll need it on my left knee at some point as well.  There is tons of information on this site, both here on the bulletin board and more in various other places, so be sure to check around.  Plus, there is also a multitude of information on the internet.  I suggest using the keywords "patellar malalignment (or misalignment)" "patellar tracking disorder" and "patellar subluxation", those should provide you with quite a bit of information.  

I'm guessing that if your OS is going to put your left knee cap back in place, they'll probably do a TTT (tibial tubercle transfer) or a TTO (tibial tubercle osteotomy).  Honestly, I don't know what the difference is between them because my OS has called my recent surgery by both names, so I'm assuming they are VERY similar.  However, I don't know if that's what they'll do, but those are options to fix the misalignment.  I am curious though, has your OS told you what he'll be doing for sure?

Don't be afraid to ask questions, we're all here to help!

Jessa
23 years old
12/00 Scope & LR
01/04 Scope & patella shave
05/04 TTO & then some
09/04 Screw removal

"That which is dreamed can never be lost, can never be undreamed." -Master Li

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 09:23:35 PM »
Check out the Patella femoral section of this page as well. That's a good place to start.

Wonder what surgery they are going to do on you?  You dont' know the name? There are a few, as Jessa mentioned like TTT and TTO, there is also Lateral Retinacular release. Hmm..

goodluck with the strengthenging and subsequent surgery... Hope it really helps
Hugs
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline GimpSticks17

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 01:39:32 AM »
Thanks!
I'm not sure what he is going to do right now i go back to see him July 7. After a month of PT because my leg is so weak right now. I had to do an excercise today in PT lifting my leg to make it straight with this bar thing going across. the weight was only ten pounds and my leg was shaking like crazy. Im also have electrical stim done. (Which hurts like crazy :P) Anywho my DR, Dr. Renz is really cautious he rarely ever mentions surgery in a first appointment unless he is pretty sure that it is going to end up that way. And he did mention it, just not what kind.
But Thanks for your help.
Gimpsticks

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 10:48:06 PM »
Yeah, join the club (wish you didn't have to though :-/)

I also have it, you can find lots of info here on the several sections of this board. Search for

patellar maltracking
patellar malalignment
PFS
lateral (retinacular) release or LR
TTT-TTO (Fulkerson-Maquet-Hauser...)

Welcome!

~Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

support