Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: so much...  (Read 1875 times)

Offline allstardiva2005

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
    • Behind the Jersey
so much...
« on: June 04, 2004, 05:47:08 AM »
well my knee has been hurting since mid February, and i've had many tests done and rehab since early April and I've seen a little improvement, but then i always have a relapse and i'm still on crutches. i went to rehab today for an hour n a half. one hour doing straight leg raises, heel raises, etc. and getting isonotope or w/e its called. then half hour in the pool just walking.

and then one of my really good friend's mom died @ the age of 51. (my friend is 17) and so i went to the visitation today and we just broke down crying. and my other good friend has a grandma dying. and there is just so much pain going around my group of friends.

and i'm doing my best not to complain about my problems, b/c they seem so insignificant compared to death. but i hurt so bad- emotionally, mentally, physically. and today was the first day of summer for me, and it just seems like this is gonna be the worst summer ever b/c of all the pain.

sorry to complain- but if you could keep my two friends, Ingrid and Amanda, in your prayers, I'd really appreciate it...

xoxo- Christy
Medial Meniscus Repair- '00,03
Partial Meniscectomy- '03, '04
ACL Reconstruction- '02
Exploratory Scope- '05
Allograft ACL Revision & Neuroma Excision- '06
Hardware Removal & Bone Filing- '06
Scar Tissue Removel- '07

** Medial meniscus transplant is in the near future... **

Offline FieryMayhem

• Forum Faithful
  • My OS says we can play air hockey with my knee cap
Re: so much...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 06:30:04 AM »
Christy,

Don't apologize for complaining, you have every right to acknowledge how you're feeling right now!  I'm so sorry things are rough right now between rehab and illnesses and whatnot.  I'm not sure if it helps or not, but I have been in a very similar situation to what you're going through right now so I have an inkling of how you feel.  Please know that I'm sending tons of well wishes, hugs, and good thoughts your way as well as keeping Ingrid and Amanda in my thoughts and prayers.  Good luck with rehab, I hope it helps!  Take care of yourself.  

Jessa
23 years old
12/00 Scope & LR
01/04 Scope & patella shave
05/04 TTO & then some
09/04 Screw removal

"That which is dreamed can never be lost, can never be undreamed." -Master Li

Offline squeezeevans

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 12:17:22 PM »
Hi!

I read this post and just instantly related to what you're saying.

I am also seventeen and face daily pain and frustrations with my stupid knees.

However I don't know if you've read my earlier post "Help dont know what 2 do" but i also lost a good friend earlier this month after a period of illness.  Another friend of mine is suffering with leukaemia and my nan also sadly died at the beginning of this week.  It is been a bit of a catastrophic year but I hope everything will get easier soon.

As far as your friends are concerned I truly know how much pain there is in losing someone close and how there are times when you can only break down crying.  However it will get easier. I used to not even be able to think of my friend without cryin now I smile at our memories.

As for your knees feel free to complain here.  I felt guilty complaining bout my knees when my friends have been or are so ill but if anything I'm sure your friends will be more sympathetic because just as you've stood by them theyll want to be there for you.

Please feel free to IM me or message at anytime

Louisexxx

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 01:58:37 PM »
Christy, and Louise I am keeping you both in my prayers and your friends and their families as well.  :-[ It does seem that these things come together all at once.  We are dealing with similar things here at home as well.

And let me just say, Vent away on your pain, I wished I had , had a place like this when I was 17 years old. My knees have been a problem for me since I was 8 years old and I can tell you it made me a fairly bitter teenager, when I had to give up everything... >:(  but... I find it gets' better with age,  just because Mentally you can handle it better. ::) I know that sounds like a crock of well you konw but truly I find that it does.

Hang in there, it's hard being a teen, let alone a teen in chronic pain.

Take care and you're all in my thoughts and prayers

Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Holly

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Runs with scissors
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2004, 06:03:42 PM »
Dear Christy, sweetheart:

You have every reason to feel sad and frustrated...never apologize, especially to us kneegeeks, who know very much how you are feeling!  The hardest thing for anyone is to feel isolated - to feel that they are the ONLY one who is going through this ungodly suffering.  And then to feel that they are not entitled to complain because their pain is NOT ENOUGH?! ???  My son was 17 when he was going through feelings like that and, although we tried so hard to let him know he could always talk to us, still he kept it all in until it was too much for him.  He tried to commit suicide...took an overdose of sleeping pills.  I will always be gratefull that at the last minute, before he lost consciousness, he called me on his cell phone and I was able to save him.  He's 22 now, he's let us get him therapy and has learned that SO MANY PEOPLE LOVE HIM and WOULD RATHER DIE THAN LOSE HIM!  Never let your suffering stay inside you...share it with your parents, your friends, US KNEEGEEKS...anyone!  As Louise says here, your friends will WANT you to share your feelings with them because you've stood by them.

I know it seems bleak now, honey...I only want to tell you that there are many, many people who would gladly put their arms around you and hug you and who DON'T think your pain is insignificant.  It's not some kind of "can you top this" where people say, "ya, well, but she's not DYING after all."  Your knees are a real problem and your friends and family care for you and they will understand. ;D

And you always have us.

If I could, I would hug you right now.

Holly
1998 run over by car;Rt knee lat menisc/med menisc tear, ACL/MCL tear, patella frx, tib frx, femur frx, 4 scopes repr menisc/repr lig/debride pat, open MCL rpr, dbl osteot3/04;MUA,lysis6/04;scope10/04

Offline allstardiva2005

• Forum Faithful
    • Behind the Jersey
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 07:01:46 PM »
thank you guys so much for your encouraging and comforting words- it helps so much b/c you all understand. whereas my friends, as much as they love me, they don't understand the knee pain. and i'm pretty sure they get tired of me complaining or being able to do normal things kids do when they're bored (ie. bowling in the winter and putt putt in the summer).

i saw my surgeon today and basically he was like, i have no idea. sorry. here's some neurontin to help the pain. but i don't know. and it really pissed me off and my mom, b/c he said an MRI wouldn't show anything (my last one was in November) and insurance wouldn't cover a third MRI in less than a year. and he won't go in just to look. so my new surgeon is gonna be the redwings' surgeon. i really want them to just go in, look around, see if they can find something, and then fix it. and if there isn't anything, then i know. but i haven't been able to run since august and been off of crutches since january, and at the age of 17- its ridiculous.

i love you guys & thanks for your very helpful posts. :)

xoxo- Christy
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 07:04:55 PM by allstardiva2005 »
Medial Meniscus Repair- '00,03
Partial Meniscectomy- '03, '04
ACL Reconstruction- '02
Exploratory Scope- '05
Allograft ACL Revision & Neuroma Excision- '06
Hardware Removal & Bone Filing- '06
Scar Tissue Removel- '07

** Medial meniscus transplant is in the near future... **

Offline hopeful1

• Forum Faithful
  • Be good to yourself...
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 09:29:48 PM »
Hi, Christy -

I just now read this thread, and I want to add my encouragement and empathy!  I certailny will keep your friends, and YOU in my thoughts and prayers!  As everyone has already said - you have evey right to feel sad, angry, and ANY AND EVERY other feeling you might have.  I remember all to well the daily pain and frustration of not feeling like "normal" 17 year old, and not doing all the things my friends did (and I used to do) for fun (ski, football, basketball, soccer, skate, dance, ski, ski ,ski).

It is very generous of you to include support for your friends.  I find that focusing on other people SOMETIMES helps me a lot!  Mind you, it is not substitue for giving yourself permission to vent, feel mad and frustrated!

Christy - I am so proud of you for finding this site, and turning to others here for support.  Even if there was a site like this twenty some years ago, I would not have the maturity and braveness that you have to share your thoughts online!  

Be good to yourself!

L.
Fell 3/02
TTT, lateral release, VMO transfer & meniscus repair on 4/20/04
Lysis of adhesions/MUA on 6/10/04
FULL ROM by 7/19/04
Normal minimal function (ie, stairs, walking, etc) by 8/23/04
NO probelms since!!
Pregnant spring 05 - Due 9/05!!!

support