Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Dislocating Knees - Advice Needed  (Read 1392 times)

Offline TK

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Dislocating Knees - Advice Needed
« on: October 26, 2002, 12:23:33 AM »
Hi,

I am 16 years old and I have a problem with dislocating knees. My first experience of this happening was when I was 14 and attempting to get into the back of a four ton army truck and I suddenly felt a terrible pain in my left knee. I was taken to the military base medical centre and saw that my knee has dislocated.

Ever since then I have had a quite a few minor incidents of my knees dislocating/attempting to. My right knee dislocated when I suddenly turned around whilst I was on holiday in Portugal and I have had many times when the knee has nearly dislocated but not quite or has come out and gone back in again.

I have been overweight for a long time and recently I decided to do something about it. I have already lost a stone in just under a month and my waistline is rapidly declining week by week. I have also started to walk rather than get a lift in the car and am hoping to start at the gym soon.

Recently my right knee especially has been hurting a lot and occasionally my leg has nearly given in and I am not entirely sure why. I presume it is because the knee is very unstable in its current state or is attempting to adjust to my now very different lifestyle.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I can do about my knees both in the short term and the long term? I have seen a specalist and he implied that they can't do anything till I am 18 and even then surgery is risky.

Questions.

1. Could my knees prevent my joining the armed forces? (I am not thinking Infantry but Pilot or Navigator for example)

2. What exactly does surgery involve? What are the different types and based on the information I have provided what might be possible for me?

3. Is this curable? Could surgery solve the problem entirely or am I stuck with this for the rest of my life?

4. Knee braces? Arch braces? I am hearing all this terminology but am not sure what any of it means. Are these for very serious cases only or for less severe ones and could they prove useful to me?

I thank you for reading this...

Richard.

Offline Tizzy953

• Forum Faithful
  • Go AZ D-Backs/Cardina ls
Re: Dislocating Knees - Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2002, 03:46:52 AM »
Richard,
Hi, and welcome to the forum.  To answer a couple of your questions:  

1) Yes this could prevent you from entering the military.  I am an officer in the Army and the military can be very picky about physical limitations and problems.  My only suggestions is to take the physical and see, or see a couple of recruiters to find out.  If you are going for a scholarship for ROTC, this can be a disqualifying factor but you can get a waiver if the medical review board thinks you can hack it.  You need to be able to pass the APFT (army physical fitness test).  

2) There are a lot of different surgeries for this and it depends on the doctors preference and your specific problem.

3)Again, this is person specific.  There are people who have had surgery to fix this problem and it has been completely successful, there are others that have not been so lucky.  Just also realize, that once you cut into the knee, regardless of the procedure, it will never be completely the same as it was before the injury.

4)Certain Knee braces help certain problems.  You really need to see an orthopedic surgeon to find out answers to a lot of your questions.  They can tell you if a knee brace would help and what kind.  A lot of people like the Breg PTO brace.

Again, it sounds like you could really use seeing a good OS.  They can give you a lot of specific answers and have you go to physical therapy which can help tremendously.  I know these answers are kind of vague and I am sorry for that.  I hope these have at least helped.  

What branch of the military are you wanting to go into?

Good luck,
Kenzie
11/93-R ankle recon; 10/94-L ankle recon, 2/96-R shoulder stabilization+3 screws, 2/97-dislocated jaw, 11/99- LR L knee, 5/02-diagonstic scope L knee, 1/14/03- TTT+LR L knee, 9/9/03-L knee hardware removal, cartilage cleanup

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2002, 05:29:56 AM »
It depends on if it is your "knne joint" or "knne cap" that is dislocating.
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Offline TK

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2002, 01:08:49 PM »
From what I can remember it is my patella (is that the knee cap?) that is dislocating.

It would probably be the Air Force and as of yet I am unsure which branch. It wouldn't be any of the ground combat branches.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2002, 01:09:55 PM by TK »