Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Help Needed Knee Pain and Something Loose  (Read 1421 times)

Offline stebrfc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Help Needed Knee Pain and Something Loose
« on: May 26, 2004, 01:32:04 PM »
Hi all,

I am going for my X-Rays a week today but i was wondering if anyone had any idea of what could be up with my knees to give me a general idea.

Basically a couple of months ago i noticed something on my left knee, at the front on the right hand side of it. It was when you rubbed your finger across it, it felt like gristle or something similar. Since then Both my knees have become very achey, they don't lock up, it is just if i sit in the same position for a long time then they are painful to stretch. I am only 20 Years old, and my right knee doesn't have anything loose in it but still causes me pain although it is not as much as the left knee. The Gristle type thing is located about 2" below the knee cap to the right hand side of the knee, if it was your knee, in the place you can rub your finger between the two bones if you get what i mean.

Also i have had very clicky knees recently which has caused a bit of pain, and i have never had knees that clicked in the past.

Sorry for the rubbish description but it is just to give you an idea.

The doctor said he had never seen anything like it, so he just got me an X-Ray at the hospital.

Any Help will be very appreciated.

Regards
Steven

Offline metrogirl

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Help Needed Knee Pain and Something Loose
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 10:35:13 PM »
If your doctor has never seen anything like it I'm guessing you have the wrong doctor.  It sounds to me that you have something similar to what I have.  Patella Femorrall Pain Syndrome.  Your knees ache constantly if you sit too long like at the movies or driving.  Going up and down stairs hurts terrably,  and there is usually an ache in your knees all the time.  The grissel thing that your feeling is quite possably a plica.  A plica kind of looks like a little tiny bone growing where it should not be.  These are very common things and I think if your doctor has never heard or seen such a thing you should find you another doctor.  I would find a doctor that specializes in knees and the patella femorall pain syndrome.  This is usually caused by a tracking problem that if not fixed or PT used to correct you could end up with chondromalacia which is the softning of your cartaledge in your patella.  Definatly get a second opinion and keep us here posted as to how things are going.     good luck         Amy Jo
suffering from pattella femoral pain syndrom and on 2/18/04 arthroscopic surgery to remove three plica's and patella shaving.  also removed some skin fold that was damaged beyond repair.

Offline stebrfc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 03:44:56 PM »
HI thanks for your reply. It is weird the pain comes and goes, when it comes it last for about 3 days then my knees seem to be alot better, but during the 3 days they are very stiff etc.

Anyway i went for my xrays results came back as normal so i have made another appointment with the doctor to go and see whats next.

Cheers
Steven

Offline MBuckeridge

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 09:25:34 PM »
I have had problems with my knees for quite some years now. I have what I consider a "floating bit!" I had X-Rays and it showed nothing. This felt similar to what you describe as gristle. I saw my surgeon today who believes it could be lose cartilidge that has been there since a major dislocation when I was 12. Due to various other knee issues I have a constant ache, but I don't know if that's directly caused by this "floating bit!"

Sorry, not really much help, but if you have had a knock to it and it does not show on X-Ray, perhaps it could also be cartilidge??