Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: POST OP - AGGRESSIVE REHAB  (Read 1154 times)

Offline realdeal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
POST OP - AGGRESSIVE REHAB
« on: May 20, 2004, 05:59:49 AM »
Guys...I had a meniscal repair 6 days ago and have adopted a very different approach to rehab that others have posted.

For the record I has a 1cm peripheral vertical capsular tear of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus, with propagation of the tear in the horizontal direction involving the peripheral outer quarter of the posterior horn. In addition I had a grade 1 sprain of the MCL and fluid over the posterior oblique ligament.

I kept my leg elevated and straight for two days (no brace). My only exercise was straight leg lifts. I applied ice packs to the knee almost constantly for the first two days. Once up and around on the third day I used one crutch. By the fourth day I disposed of the crutch and had my first physio (kept applying ice packs). The Physio was impressed with the ROM and actually had me fully weight bearing. Today (day 6) I was on the exercise bike (level 6) for 10mins and have 137degree ROM.

Swelling is almost gone completely but I do still walk with a slight limp. Physio tells me that with current rate of progression I should be walking without a limp in the next few days. Stitches get removed after day 11.

A word of caution however....everyone is different and reacts differntly. I am not saying one ir right and the other is wrong. I am simply suggesting you explore the boundaries of what is possible and question your Physio and OS about this.
;D