Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Sharing my Episealer experience  (Read 63 times)

Offline Celina1989

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 8
Sharing my Episealer experience
« on: July 30, 2022, 04:33:33 PM »
On May 11 I had my Episealer surgery. Since I haven't seen any previous experiences/stories here or anywhere else on the internet beside the Episurf website I will share my experience. I was struggling with my OCD for 4 years and had failed microfracture and failed ACI. Since I have a low healing potential and a pretty large lesion (3,4 cm2) this Episealer, metal implant was the only solution besides a TKR for which Im too young. I've had the special MRI that results in a very clear damage report and implant suggestion in Decembre 2021.

On May 11 I had my surgery. My orthopedic nurse practitioner already warned me that this would be a hard surgery, comparable with a TKR. I was one night in the hospital and besides all side effects from anestheasia and pain meds my knee was doing really well. Had an x-ray to conform placement of the implant. The first week was really tough and I was in a lot pain living on pain killers and icing a lot (so happy I had my ice machine). I was allowed to be 25% weight bearing for the first 2 weeks but must say it took me a few days before I touched the floor with my right foot.

After the first week all went pretty smooth. Swelling went down, ROM improved, pain was a lot less and I started PT. With his advice I managed to improve my ROM to 100 in two weeks. 

From week 3 I was allowed to be 50% weight bearing and after 4 weeks I was allowed to be full weight bearing. I actually was able to walk at PT at 4 weeks + 1 day but it took me another week to fully ditch my crutches! Major milestone and so happy to be able to drive.

My main issue is quad activation and strenght. Only recently, I think at about 8 weeks, I managed to activate my inner quad muscle / vastus medialis. My inner side of the kneecap is now pretty sore due to this muscle imbalance when bending. I need a lot more PT to get to a good strenght but I am already doing so much better then before my surgery.

At 5 weeks I was able to walk around the house without crutches and soon after I managed to do a small walk (2 km). I am currently at 3 km walks and cycling outside without any pain issues (except sometimes the kneecap thing). I am so happy with the result already. I can honestly say that after 4 weeks my knee was already feeling better then pre-surgery. I am so happy this was an option for me and so lucky I ended up at the right hospital for this.

I am sharing this to share knowledge about the existence of this treatment and share my experience. If you have any questions feel very free to ask them.

I will share some pictures of the damage report, x-ray and my incision 2 weeks after the surgery (definetly not scary).

Offline Celina1989

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 8
Re: Sharing my Episealer experience
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 04:50:47 PM »
Sharing everything at once was too big so sending another one in the reply.

support