Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: High Tibial Osteotomy Plate Removal (also missing ACL)  (Read 72 times)

Offline Curz

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
High Tibial Osteotomy Plate Removal (also missing ACL)
« on: April 22, 2022, 08:38:29 PM »
It's a long time since I posted!
Brief history....
2011 hamstring acl graft
2013 knee acl graft and High Tibial Osteotomy.
ACL failed both occasions. Living without one now.
Pain in knee over the last few years, stopping me at points and keeping me awake.

New surgeon wasn't happy with the plates and decided to take them out.

April 2022, metal plates and screws removed with a brief tidy up.

Day one - pain felt fine, felt this would be a breeze and similar to stories I've read online where people breeze through.

Day two - today.....bit more pain now, keeping elevated. I've been told I can weight bare but I can feel pain on both sides so am using the crutches every now and again to ensure I am not overdoing it.
Has anyone had plate removal recently? What were your experiences?
I'm very aware that my tibia currently has a number of holes from the screws and am a bit more cautious today than I was yesterday. I'm also slightly concerned that the medial pain I had pre-op will shift to lateral pain post-op.
I'm going to continue to keep elevated but move around each hour.

Long term my surgeon has said a knee replacement is in my future but doing everything we can do stop this happening till I'm older.

Post plate removal how soon have people driven, sat at desks properly, walked, knelt etc?
It's been suggested kneeling wont be for upto 4 months?
Tore acl 2007 and meniscus
Acl recon op and meniscus 2011
Tore reconstructed ACL feb 2012 and meniscus gone 2012
Leg out of alignent jan 2013 with lots of pain
HIgh tibial osteotomy on left knee june 2013. Patella tendon acl recon failed during operation june 2013.
HTO plate removal 2022

support