Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: What should I do next? (MRI results inside)  (Read 181 times)

Offline JPE23

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
What should I do next? (MRI results inside)
« on: April 12, 2022, 08:40:29 AM »
The results from my MRI are attached. According to my GP, I will need an arthroscopy (which is going to take a long time probably). I am currently walking with crutches and cannot fully straighten my knee.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime to:

a) Get walking again unaided
b) Straighten my knee
c) Strengthen my knee.

I can't wait for months before I can walk outside again properly!

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 453
  • Neelie knee!
Re: What should I do next? (MRI results inside)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 08:50:08 AM »
Sounds like you might need a quite major surgery to reconstruct the ACL. Have you been referred to an orthopaedic surgeon to discuss and get on the waiting list (assume you’re in the UK and will use NHS?)
Can you get to see a physio in the meantime (NHS or better privately as you’ll be able to go more often and work more intensively), they should be able to advise on exercises. Hydrotherapy might be an option.
How long ago did you injure the knee? You’ll want to keep it moving as best you can. Straightening may depend on whether the meniscus tear is trapped in the joint and causing the locking. If so that will probably need surgical intervention asap.
How old are you (you appear to already have early arthritic changes, have you injured the knee before?)

Good luck
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 08:53:31 AM by vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline JPE23

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 10:48:36 AM »
Sounds like you might need a quite major surgery to reconstruct the ACL. Have you been referred to an orthopaedic surgeon to discuss and get on the waiting list (assume you’re in the UK and will use NHS?)
Can you get to see a physio in the meantime (NHS or better privately as you’ll be able to go more often and work more intensively), they should be able to advise on exercises. Hydrotherapy might be an option.
How long ago did you injure the knee? You’ll want to keep it moving as best you can. Straightening may depend on whether the meniscus tear is trapped in the joint and causing the locking. If so that will probably need surgical intervention asap.
How old are you (you appear to already have early arthritic changes, have you injured the knee before?)

Good luck

Yes I'm seeing someone next month on the NHS. I might be able to get to see a physio through my work scheme, so will try that.

I injured the knee two weeks ago yesterday and previously overstretched my MCL 18 years ago (I'm 36 now)

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 11:03:48 AM »
If you have private healthcare through work, can you expedite seeing the surgeon and surgery by using that? (Depending on policy there may of course be limitations / an excess)
(Or is it more just work based occupational health)
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline JPE23

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 12:41:12 PM »
If you have private healthcare through work, can you expedite seeing the surgeon and surgery by using that? (Depending on policy there may of course be limitations / an excess)
(Or is it more just work based occupational health)

Unfortunately no PH through work as I ticked no on that box last month!

So it's either pay upfront or wait for the NHS to come through (which could take a long time).

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 12:49:29 PM »
Oh that’s a shame. Any chance of a chat with HR to see (although May now be a pre existing condition as you’ve had/ waiting for treatment)

Private physio doesn’t have to be too costly (as long as you’re not in Central London!)
An ACL recon privately is around 7-10k depending on who and where. Many hospital groups do offer payment plans/finance

If the knee is locked and very unstable, an NHS surgeon may deem urgent so could be quicker (wait times also vary around the country, where are you?)

Offline JPE23

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 01:26:05 PM »
Oh that’s a shame. Any chance of a chat with HR to see (although May now be a pre existing condition as you’ve had/ waiting for treatment)

Private physio doesn’t have to be too costly (as long as you’re not in Central London!)
An ACL recon privately is around 7-10k depending on who and where. Many hospital groups do offer payment plans/finance

If the knee is locked and very unstable, an NHS surgeon may deem urgent so could be quicker (wait times also vary around the country, where are you?)

Based in Birmingham - I have an appt on May 9th (I guess for the initial consultation) but trying to get a cancellation