Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Anaesthetics spinal or general  (Read 329 times)

Offline Petal

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 13
Anaesthetics spinal or general
« on: March 15, 2022, 02:58:37 PM »
Just been for my preopp appointment for knee surgery and they are talking about an epidural Anaesthetic rather then a general Anaesthetics.  apparently the decision will be taken on day of surgery.

I have a real fear of needles into spine. not bothered about them anywhere else but I have a fear of epidural- I am frightened I will move in fear and end up paralysed if cause them to jab the wrong spot with me flinching.     They say the epidural is safer then general but I really really fear it.  is a general REALLY so much more dangerous? or is it just its a longer recovery?  I don't mind if it hurts more or takes longer to get over to get over a general.  are they pushing epidural because can get patient out of hospital quicker or is it really a lot safer?

help!!!

Offline Petal

• Regular Poster
Re: Anaesthetics spinal or general
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 03:14:16 PM »
o and the hospital I am going to did manage to paralyse a man giving him an epidural 10 years ago.....
I trust my surgeon but I am v v nervous of epidural idea

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 453
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 03:52:19 PM »
Ask to talk directly to the anaesthetist (as it’s their area of expertise rather than the surgeon) about your concerns. I expect they’d give you a sedative prior to the epidural?

Personally, knowing what a TKR involves, there’s no way I’ll be having one without being completely under!
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline Petal

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 06:20:46 PM »
it appears its light sedation After epidural - wide awake for needle in spine and was suggested to bring in music to listen to for during surgery!!! 
nope not happening. I get knocked out or no opp. 

I'm scared of being paralysed by spinal injection and no amount of soft music is going to make that appealing.  I know millions of women have epidurals for child birth and they are a hell of a lot braver then me.  I just want needle in back of hand and wake up back on ward.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 06:22:23 PM by Petal »

Offline Dave33

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 26
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 07:42:39 PM »
If it helps, I got one for each of my pjfrs. Wasn't a big deal. Minor pinch, and good to go. However, I was not conscious for surgery - i guess moderate sedation, which was fine by me. I watched the surgery on youtube prior to going in, and, heh, I wanted no part of the "install" process in my memory.

I credit the epidural route with not having to deal with the post-nausea etc that the full anaesthesia route can bring.

Good luck! I'm sure it'll go fine either way.

Offline Petal

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2022, 08:03:18 PM »
To be honest the awake during surgery does not worry me. Its the awake during needle in spine I have an issue with.  I have always had a phobia of needles in spines, don't mind anywhere else just leave spine alone.  I don't care how many millions of people have it done - they are brave and I am not.

well nothing I can do. will find out on day of surgery as that is the only chance to speak to anaesthetist. will either get new knee or come straight back home.

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2022, 08:37:19 PM »
To be honest the awake during surgery does not worry me. Its the awake during needle in spine I have an issue with.  I have always had a phobia of needles in spines, don't mind anywhere else just leave spine alone.  I don't care how many millions of people have it done - they are brave and I am not.

well nothing I can do. will find out on day of surgery as that is the only chance to speak to anaesthetist. will either get new knee or come straight back home.
Surely you can speak to anaesthetist before whatever the pre op nurse said? Just email or call the surgeons secretary.
Or did you speak to the anaesthetist. Don’t not have the op or let a surgery slot go to waste, you still have time to speak to people as it’s in April no?

Surgeon details here for RoH, secretary details given on surgeons page
https://www.roh.nhs.uk/about-us/our-team/category/large-joints
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 08:39:25 PM by vickster »
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline Petal

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2022, 09:03:34 PM »
thank you. I will call secretary when calmed down in a few days.  I am having panic attacks after this and feel ill I need to calm first.  I really am utterly phobic about needles in spine.  I am also in a lot of pain after being on leg so much today which is not helping

It was presented to me today by Dr that there is no option to talk to anaesthetist before day of surgery -I did ask and they said no.  But I do not want to waste an operation slot which is why I need to know if I am to be denied general before the day. 

I have had 3 general anaesthetics at this hospital in the past which is why I am so shocked, it was never suggested to me previously that this was the method. yes I had heard of it but I thought it was for people who couldn't have a general and people who are very brave who want rapid recovery . not a normal common thing. 

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2022, 09:05:54 PM »
thank you. I will call secretary when calmed down in a few days.  I am having panic attacks after this and feel ill I need to calm first.  I really am utterly phobic about needles in spine.  I am also in a lot of pain after being on leg so much today which is not helping

It was presented to me today by Dr that there is no option to talk to anaesthetist before day of surgery -I did ask and they said no.  But I do not want to waste an operation slot which is why I need to know if I am to be denied general before the day. 

I have had 3 general anaesthetics at this hospital in the past which is why I am so shocked, it was never suggested to me previously that this was the method. yes I had heard of it but I thought it was for people who couldn't have a general and people who are very brave who want rapid recovery . not a normal common thing.

Good luck. I can’t imagine you’d be denied the GA given your phobia. It’s not like you won’t be staying in a few days after the op and you’ve not had issues with GA before

Offline Petal

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2022, 11:39:26 AM »
Thank you everyone. panic over!
I called, the policy is they prefer spinal but they can see no reason why I can not have a general given my fear of spinal.
such a relief!  The doctor I spoke to yesterday was so determined that spinal was the way and apparently nope it is not-not if you have aversion .
I hate to be 'that' awkward patient and will normally go along with anything but this is something I have a huge fear over so it is a massive relief.

support