Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Multiple surgeries for adhesions  (Read 248 times)

Offline Pkklipp2

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Multiple surgeries for adhesions
« on: March 07, 2022, 10:21:49 PM »
I have now have two surgeries for lysis of adhesions on top of  numerous other knee surgeries the past few years. My last lysis on adhesions was just last summer but my knee again is so achy and tight and extremely painful. It feels just like it has the previous two times. My question is who has had to have multiple surgeries to take these out and at some point is it even worth it because it just keeps coming back. Thanks.

Offline DogfacedGirl

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 19
Re: Multiple surgeries for adhesions
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 03:22:08 AM »
Hi,
What you have experienced is a well-known effect of surgery, and there is no effective way to prevent post-op scar tissue returning. The adhesions and scar tissue are part of the healing process, and in some people it becomes dysregulated and doesn't stop when it should.
Surgery removes the scar tissue but in the process creates another wound that needs to be healed, and so more scar tissue is made. Unfortunately, every time you have surgery more of the scar producing cells, called myofibroblasts, are activated and in people with arthrofibrosis they are immortal. This means that there is a real risk that each surgery will make your symptoms worse, rather than better, in the long run.
Sorry I can't be more positive. Seeing a rheumatologist might give better results.
Kay
1999 Osteoarthritis both knees, chondroplasty
2004 MACI graft L knee
2005 MACI graft both knees
2007 MACI graft R knee
2007 Patella baja
2011 TKR both knees
2011 arthrofibrosis