Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Another one  (Read 139 times)

Offline Tony1233a

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Another one
« on: March 03, 2022, 08:55:57 PM »
Hey all!

I'm back again with another meniscus tear. Hasn't offically been diagnosed via MRI... however, just came back from my GP and he suspects (as did I) another meniscus tear. Medial side of my right knee. I've already had menicus trimmed off my medial meniscus, so that's concerning to me.  I've also had confirmation of arthritis about 2 years ago, so I am very interested to see where this goes. Start physio Monday, unfortunately I'm off work until this is all sorted, hard to be a mechanic when I can't really walk.

I hope you all are doing well, if anyone has experience with meniscus tears post OA diagnosis, let me know how you've done and what treatment plans work for you!

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 454
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Another one
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 10:23:37 PM »
Not uncommon to have degenerate meniscus alongside OA (the previous trim may have accelerated the OA development or was the knee arthritic and the meniscus degenerate before?) Wear and tear and ageing affects the meniscus (dries out) and the articular cartilage.

How old are you? Unfortunately, once you have had one tear and menisectomy, it’s more likely to happen without any trauma. Did you injure your knee or had the issue come on gradually? What are the details of the arthritis? Where in the knee? How severe?

If you have to do a lot of kneeling, get proper knee pads to cushion the knees, avoid squatting

Keep active with non impact exercise like cycling, swimming, gentle walking, strength work with good form etc.

Discuss a strategy with the physio.

Avoid more surgery if at all possible (if the knee is locked or giving away it may be difficult as that needs resolving surgically) but if more pain and swelling give it time to resolve, use ice and medication if needed.

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone