Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: This is my short story  (Read 391 times)

Offline allonmorris

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
This is my short story
« on: January 06, 2022, 02:18:43 AM »
Hi,

I had Surgical Repair on my right lateral meniscus in March 2018. 3 months after my surgery, I started noticing a dull pain in the left side of my left knee around the nerve. I figured that it was probably just the extra stress I had been putting on it since the surgery. 6 months from the surgery, the pain had no change. I spoke with my knee surgeon, and told him my symptoms. He gave me some stretched and routines to follow. 6 months of following the doctor's orders, there was no change in my pain. I told my knee surgeon, there was no change, he gave me some other ideas and thoughts. I decided to get some more opinions. I spoke to 3 more doctors. All 3 doctors and my knee surgeon, all had different theories. Nothing horrible; Shin Splints, Calf Strain, Tendinitis, Repetitive motion injury, IT band, stress fracture. All of those things basically require rest, stretching, ice, and etc... Now nearing February 2012. Almost 2 full years after my right knee surgery, I'm still experiencing a lot of discomfort in my left knee, and have tried my best to continue with stretching, resting, ice, and trying new methods.

If anyone can give me any help. It would be much appreciated. If you need any more information from me, I'll be happy to give any information you need.

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 454
  • Neelie knee!
Re: This is my short story
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 09:00:22 AM »
Have you had a scan on the knee?
How old are you?
Have you seen a physiotherapist for assessment of your gait, muscle balance etc? Menisectomy especially can impact the biomechanics in the knee so this could be causing issues.  It can also lead to arthritic changes in the knee.
What activity or sport are you putting the knee through?
Any symptoms other than pain (swelling, heat, locking, giving way, reduced range of motion)?
I’d have an X-ray and MRI scan asap to se if that sheds any light. It sounds like the medics are stumbling around in the dark without the full picture

Note to self…post when more awake  ::)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 05:33:25 PM by vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline SuspectDevice

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 81
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 03:46:15 AM »
Shin splints !!!!

Stay the Hell away from that Dr  ;)

Oh, ditto for calf strain.

Having had both many times, pain in the side of the knee is not a symptom I've ever had or heard of. But I'm not sure what this 'nerve' is you mention?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 04:42:37 AM by SuspectDevice »
L Medial menisectomy 2012
PFPS both knees 2012-2017
Pre-CRPS diagnosed 2014 (I think this was crap)
2017 - 90+% cured via Dr Dye's research
2018 - MTB crash, busted collarbone & ribs - easy compared to knees!
2021 - ride 3x/week, swim 2x/week, gym 2x/week, short runs 2x/week, back to short races

Offline silver_maple

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 15
  • Protect your knees
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 03:56:39 PM »
The original poster's problems are with the contralateral knee. The meniscus work was done on the right knee, three months later the pain with the left knee started.

If the meniscus on the right knee was indeed repaired (vs resected), this suggests the poster is young (<35 yo). Nevertheless, there may have been a degree of biomechanics change on the right side. Could the poster be shifting, consciously or not, some weight on the left leg and the left knee screams as it struggles to adjust?

The MRI is a wonderful advancement and could show if any tissue is inflamed, torn, etc. Curious about the jurisdiction - these docs are throwing some really wild guesses! If the pain has lasted 2 years it's time for imaging.
2019 - Chondromalacia patella gr 1-2, both knees; early bilateral tibio-femoral arthritis; 5mm focal chondral lesion (LK); degenerate meniscus tear (RK)
2020 - PRP x3 in RK
2021/22 - PRP x4 in RK, PRP x2 in LK

support