Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Diclofenac Gel  (Read 454 times)

Offline Dave33

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 24
Diclofenac Gel
« on: December 11, 2021, 05:44:32 PM »
https://www.painscience.com/articles/voltaren-gel.php

Reading all of the discussions on expensive PRP and HA injections which haven't had particularly good evidence-based track records, reminded me of one treatment that did have a measurable effect, and ironically, was the cheapest (and probably safest) of everything I tried.

At any rate, appears to have good research behind it's effectiveness (and a good site to browse in general). Could be worth a shot to manage a flare-up condition before trying more expensive therapies, or a good option to anti-inflammatories or oral medications that can cause gastro issues over time.

Offline Celina1989

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Re: Diclofenac Gel
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 07:06:22 AM »
Thank you for sharing this great article! I actually started using Voltaren (extra strong) a few days ago. So far I am a bit unsure if it helps yet. It doesn't help with activities but might give some relief in rest although pain varies anyway and last week was a bit too much. For how long did you use it? The manual got a warning that you are not allowed to use it for more than 3 weeks in a row. I need 6 more months before my surgery :(

Offline Dave33

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 11:42:24 PM »
Thank you for sharing this great article! I actually started using Voltaren (extra strong) a few days ago. So far I am a bit unsure if it helps yet. It doesn't help with activities but might give some relief in rest although pain varies anyway and last week was a bit too much. For how long did you use it? The manual got a warning that you are not allowed to use it for more than 3 weeks in a row. I need 6 more months before my surgery :(

No problem! Yes, I found it was helpful in times in which I'd overdone it and was dealing with that oh-so-familiar level 3-4 constant ache. It would bring it down to around a 2, if that makes sense, and regular use would allow a bit more envelope of function. Id say I probably used it fairly regularly for a couple years, albeit not every day. My doctor was very liberal in terms of usage, and the article states a similar logic, but definitely ask yours for advice directly for your specifics.

cheers

Offline Celina1989

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 05:53:44 AM »

No problem! Yes, I found it was helpful in times in which I'd overdone it and was dealing with that oh-so-familiar level 3-4 constant ache. It would bring it down to around a 2, if that makes sense, and regular use would allow a bit more envelope of function. Id say I probably used it fairly regularly for a couple years, albeit not every day. My doctor was very liberal in terms of usage, and the article states a similar logic, but definitely ask yours for advice directly for your specifics.

cheers

YES! Exactly that! In the evening on the couch when watching tv or so I just couldn't get comfy and had to keep changing position kind off all the time. But now that discomfort is reduced and I am able to just sit with less need to move and more of a tight feeling instead of irritation. Im glad to hear you used it for quite a while :)  I got no other health issues so shouldn't be a problem. Do you use other pain treatments or supplements as well? Thanks again

Offline Dave33

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2021, 01:46:58 AM »
Do you use other pain treatments or supplements as well? Thanks again

No, not really. Just ice, the gel, and the best ones yet - the plastic and metal supplements. :)

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 450
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 08:56:28 AM »
Personally, I take a high dose omega 3 capsule daily, plus Vitamin D at the dose recommended by my rheumatologist based on blood test results. I also take a multivitamin (partly as I no longer eat meat) and zinc+vit C for immunity,
I also use 2.32% Voltaren as required (usually before bed) on whichever joints are sore, again on rheum recommendation (been doing for several years). I no longer take anti inflammatory medication daily, only as needed for the first time in several years
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffaís fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 68
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2021, 04:52:38 PM »
Don't you all find these gel-based NSAIDS to be very 'smudgy', 'sticky', smelly, and simply quite impractical for daily use? I have tried them but for these reasons (and that they didn't give me much relief) I haven't used them in a while :)
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2021, 04:54:25 PM »
Personally, I take a high dose omega 3 capsule daily, plus Vitamin D at the dose recommended by my rheumatologist based on blood test results. I also take a multivitamin (partly as I no longer eat meat) and zinc+vit C for immunity,
I also use 2.32% Voltaren as required (usually before bed) on whichever joints are sore, again on rheum recommendation (been doing for several years). I no longer take anti inflammatory medication daily, only as needed for the first time in several years

Nice routine, sounds really good! I would like to take more omega 3 but it gives me such heartburn :(
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 450
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2021, 05:16:06 PM »
Pretty sure you can get vegan versions if itís the fish thatís an issue? Iíve never had an issue with the capsules, Iíve never tried the liquid, that would be nasty!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 08:27:20 PM by vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffaís fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2021, 03:43:31 PM »
Pretty sure you can get vegan versions if itís the fish thatís an issue? Iíve never had an issue with the capsules, Iíve never tried the liquid, that would be nasty!

I have used capsules, but still gives me heartburn. Didn't even know about vegan versions, will check it out!

Offline Celina1989

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2021, 08:36:12 AM »
Sorry for the late reply. Read the messages on my phone and forgot to reply.

@Dave33: What do you mean with metal and plastic supplements?

@Vickster: Omega 3 might be a good add for me. I had one before but yes got the heartburn thing from it. Also did not notice any difference. So many brands.... Vitamin D is included in one of the supplements as is vitamin C.

@Brandon123: I don't feel like this Voltaren is very "smuggy". I use a glove to put the cream on and then it takes 15 minutes for it to get into my knee. Not sticking afterwards.

Hmm after a week of using the cream I had some stomach / bowel issues. Not sure if it was related but decided to lower the dose. Now I only use it when I feel I need it more and not really preventive. Also back to more icing as the result is kind of similair.

Offline Petal

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2021, 02:04:57 PM »
I have tried volterol gel and was a bit disappointed as for nearly £10 a tube I'd expect a lot more.  It took the edge off but not by much. 
I did buy some chilli pepper cream off amazon- like instant sunburn but I quite like it as it does distract the mind/nerves away from the knee pain

Offline Celina1989

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2021, 06:49:25 AM »
I have tried volterol gel and was a bit disappointed as for nearly £10 a tube I'd expect a lot more.  It took the edge off but not by much. 
I did buy some chilli pepper cream off amazon- like instant sunburn but I quite like it as it does distract the mind/nerves away from the knee pain

Yes exactly that! It gives relief for longer than ice but it just takes the sharp edge off. Ice works shorter but it gives total pain relief for a moment and it is free  ;) . Do you mean capsain cream? I've read some good things about it but my knee does turn warm / hot, wonder if a cream that makes it hotter would then give any relief? It seems to be the total opposite of ice.

Offline Petal

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2022, 12:31:06 PM »
The one I got was a none prescription chilli cream as I did not want to go to the GP asking as they are so busy with covid. 

Its weird- my joints go hot and painful to so seems a bit odd to make them hotter but it does distract the mind /nerves a fair bit-and it was fairly cheap so its another weapon I bring out. makes a change from ice and tenns machine. sometimes a change in sensation is a relief even if not a full cure

Offline SuspectDevice

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 76
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2022, 08:19:35 PM »
Here in Oz you can get a double-strength version - https://www.voltaren.com.au/products/voltaren-osteo-12h-gel/

I've found this helped a little when my knees were at their worst, and a fair bit more when my knees had mostly recovered, but are still a bit twitchy.
L Medial menisectomy 2012
PFPS both knees 2012-2017
Pre-CRPS diagnosed 2014 (I think this was crap)
2017 - 90+% cured via Dr Dye's research
2018 - MTB crash, busted collarbone & ribs - easy compared to knees!
2021 - ride 3x/week, swim 2x/week, gym 2x/week, short runs 2x/week, back to short races