Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Lateral Release experience for Patellafemoral pain  (Read 493 times)

Offline Mr Marston

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Lateral Release experience for Patellafemoral pain
« on: November 30, 2021, 03:23:43 AM »
Hi Folks. I had a mini Lateral release on both knees in FEB 2021. This was after all The standard treatment for Patellafemoral pain failed. While I noticed some improvement initially, it became evident that the surgery did not address the issue, as 9 mos post op I was exactly where I started. That being said, I am optimistic as I am noticing improvements with the new physical therapy I am doing. Based of the most recent ortho surgeon I saw, the issue appears to be a muscular imbalance of the glutes, hips and lower core. That would make sense since none of the other treatments Iíve tried touched it, ie cortisone, gel shots, acupuncture, and ART.

My question is, what was your lateral release experience like? Did it help your pain? Did it stay the same or even get worse? Ive seen some horror stories but it would appear that the surgery can be quite beneficial under the right circumstances and with careful patient selection.

ALSO, did you have a lot of crepitus after lateral release? I have a lot in my left knee, yet almost none in the right. Iím curious if this was due to surgery or just the fact that the PFPS is still there?
If this happened to any of you, did it ever go away or is there anything you can do to reduce it?

Thanks so much

Offline Dave33

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 26
Re: Lateral Release experience for Patellafemoral pain
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 05:08:27 PM »
ALSO, did you have a lot of crepitus after lateral release? I have a lot in my left knee, yet almost none in the right. Iím curious if this was due to surgery or just the fact that the PFPS is still there?
If this happened to any of you, did it ever go away or is there anything you can do to reduce it?

Thanks so much

Hello! Yes, I had a lateral release as my first of 7 surgeries for these stupid patellas. I definitely won't generalize, but the op was completely worthless in my case. To your point, I think patient selection for this procedure should be far more targeted than the number that actually get it, but that's my non-medical worthless bias on the subject that should be treated as such.:)

On the crepitus side, I can't really remember, but considering it slightly changes the position of the patella in the trochlea, it wouldn't surprise me if you get a bit of noise as it adjusts to the new state.

Keep doing what doesn't hurt it, and best of luck!

Offline Mr Marston

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 07:03:20 PM »
Thanks for your input.7 surgeries? Wow thatís a lot. So what was your issue? Was it just PFPS or was there more going on? And did those other surgeries fix your problem and restore your previous level of activity?

Thanks

Offline claus6778

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2021, 12:03:42 AM »
Lateral release is very bad for your knee. If you are doing ok now, then great.

For many, it's very bad surgery requiring a reconstruction that only a few doctor performs.

Offline SuspectDevice

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 76
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 06:24:46 AM »
Well, no surprises there.

Luckily my OS was honest (being a family friend helped) & said he could do lateral releases for my PFPS, but advised against it.  And he was right.
L Medial menisectomy 2012
PFPS both knees 2012-2017
Pre-CRPS diagnosed 2014 (I think this was crap)
2017 - 90+% cured via Dr Dye's research
2018 - MTB crash, busted collarbone & ribs - easy compared to knees!
2021 - ride 3x/week, swim 2x/week, gym 2x/week, short runs 2x/week, back to short races

Offline Mr Marston

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 04:54:16 AM »

Luckily my OS was honest (being a family friend helped) & said he could do lateral releases for my PFPS, but advised against it.  And he was right.

You mention 90% cured by Dr Dye? Where can I find this research? And what specifically worked for you that resulted in a dramatic reduction in pain?
Thanks

Offline SuspectDevice

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 10:09:10 PM »

You mention 90% cured by Dr Dye? Where can I find this research? And what specifically worked for you that resulted in a dramatic reduction in pain?
Thanks

https://aoj.amegroups.com/article/view/4438/5056

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fybd4MZe3jk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGLisqHx8sM

The only thing that worked for me - I'm pretty sure I had what Dr Dye describes, loss of tissue homeostasis = chronic inflammation of the synovial lining and/or other knee structures - was 5-6mths on the anti-inflammatory Celebrex to get on top on the inflammation, and a massive reduction in activity, then a gradual return to hip/glute/core strengthening (note - not a sole quad focus).

2021 - ride 3x/week, swim 2x/week, gym 2x/week, short runs 2x/week, back to short races

Offline Mr Marston

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2021, 07:14:14 AM »

Thanks

The only thing that worked for me - I'm pretty sure I had what Dr Dye describes, loss of tissue homeostasis = chronic inflammation of the synovial lining and/or other knee structures - was 5-6mths on the anti-inflammatory Celebrex to get on top on the inflammation, and a massive reduction in activity, then a gradual return to hip/glute/core strengthening (note - not a sole quad focus).

Thanks for the info. The tissue homeostasis could explain why I am still having problems after all this time.
Celebrex didnít do anything for me.
The problem is just daily life activities cause pain so thereís not a whole lot I can do in terms of reducing activities. I get pain at rest and sometimes in the morning when I first wake up.

Offline SuspectDevice

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2021, 07:26:37 AM »

Thanks

Thanks for the info. The tissue homeostasis could explain why I am still having problems after all this time.
Celebrex didnít do anything for me.
The problem is just daily life activities cause pain so thereís not a whole lot I can do in terms of reducing activities. I get pain at rest and sometimes in the morning when I first wake up.

Daily activities were a drama for me too.  But my pains settled at night, then kicked off again as I started moving about.