Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Guidance sought on whether to take up offer of partial knee replacement  (Read 39 times)

Offline sololite

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
After several years of on and off pain I've recently been given a diagnosis of 'spiking of the Tibial spine, medial osteophyte formation and narrowing of the medial joint' by a knee consultant on the NHS, following a particular bad 4 months where I hobbled around, couldn't sleep or cycle (my preferred exercise).

The consultant said I can have a partial knee replacement and booked me in for a consultation with the surgeon who will do it . He recommended I have a think about it and do some research on the subject in the meantime.

Being a scaredy cat when it comes to operations etc and the fact that things have improved massively since my 4 months of flare up I am wondering if I should delay any operation in the hope that I might have a better year next year (I am 62).

Please could someone who has been in this position offer any guidance on how on earth to approach my research and thinking ?

Thank you

Offline Dave33

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 20
Re: Guidance sought on whether to take up offer of partial knee replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 02:31:24 AM »
Please could someone who has been in this position offer any guidance on how on earth to approach my research and thinking ?

Thank you

It's a really good question, and often a very personal one. Generally the decision to go ahead is largely based on quality of life. Quite often we have to live with compromise, but when those compromises become overwhelming, then it's good to know there's a reliable operation to address.

If it was me, at your age, I'd want to ask the surgeon if it makes more sense to do a full as opposed to a partial (I'd want to know that the other half of the knee is pristine) and if you're leaning towards a delay, you might ask if there's any potential complication as a result of more unaddressed wear. I would doubt it, but wouldn't hurt to ask.

Good luck!

support