Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Trochleoplasty & MPFL reconstruction at 40+ years old  (Read 299 times)

Offline k9gsd

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Trochleoplasty & MPFL reconstruction at 40+ years old
« on: November 08, 2021, 05:38:56 PM »
I am looking for input from others that have had a trochleoplasty and MPFL reconstruction at an older age.  I am currently 43 years old, but my problems began when I was 6. 

I had recurring subluxations and dislocations in both knees.  I had my first open surgery done at 9 years old (in 1988) on my right knee.  I have no idea what was done... they did not give me details at my age.  The surgery was successful and I have never experienced another subluxation or dislocation and very rarely ever even have any kind of pain in that knee. 

I had open surgery on my left knee at 13 years old which was not successful and was repeated at 15 years old.  I did not have any subluxations again until my 20s, which slowly started increasing in frequency and by my late 30s had escalated to full dislocations again.  I have seen multiple orthopedic doctors and they have dismissed any treatment options because of my age.   

I recently had a consult with Dr. Lars Blond and he diagnosed trochlear dysplasia and believes that a trochleoplasty and MPFL reconstruction would be successful even at my age.  This is highly encouraging.  I do not know that travel to Denmark will be an option, but I am pursuing a consult with some doctors here in the USA also.  If anyone has any recommendations, I am open to them!

I am most interested in the recovery of anyone that is over the age of 40 after having these procedures done.  I am a dog groomer and trainer and I live with 8 dogs (6 large breed).  I am concerned about the recovery time and how long until I can get back to work. 

Any input would be appreciated!

Online vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 454
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Trochleoplasty & MPFL reconstruction at 40+ years old
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 07:28:51 PM »
There are some articles here about (arthroscopic) trochleoplasty authored by Lars Blond
https://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/knee-dictionary/arthroscopic-trochleoplasty
The surgeries you are considering are major so be prepared for a long rehabs, a few months off work even
Good luck
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline KneeGeek

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Trochleoplasty & MPFL reconstruction at 40+ years old
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 09:20:55 PM »
I am looking for input from others that have had a trochleoplasty and MPFL reconstruction at an older age.  I am currently 43 years old, but my problems began when I was 6. 

I had recurring subluxations and dislocations in both knees.  I had my first open surgery done at 9 years old (in 1988) on my right knee.  I have no idea what was done... they did not give me details at my age.  The surgery was successful and I have never experienced another subluxation or dislocation and very rarely ever even have any kind of pain in that knee. 

I had open surgery on my left knee at 13 years old which was not successful and was repeated at 15 years old.  I did not have any subluxations again until my 20s, which slowly started increasing in frequency and by my late 30s had escalated to full dislocations again.  I have seen multiple orthopedic doctors and they have dismissed any treatment options because of my age.   

I recently had a consult with Dr. Lars Blond and he diagnosed trochlear dysplasia and believes that a trochleoplasty and MPFL reconstruction would be successful even at my age.  This is highly encouraging.  I do not know that travel to Denmark will be an option, but I am pursuing a consult with some doctors here in the USA also.  If anyone has any recommendations, I am open to them!

I am most interested in the recovery of anyone that is over the age of 40 after having these procedures done.  I am a dog groomer and trainer and I live with 8 dogs (6 large breed).  I am concerned about the recovery time and how long until I can get back to work. 

Any input would be appreciated!

There's a doctor by the name of Lee Pace down in Texas. Look him up. He's one of the few surgeons that does trochleoplasty in the US. Worth a consult at the least.

support