Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: does a knee replacement take away meniscus?  (Read 569 times)

Offline Petal

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 13
does a knee replacement take away meniscus?
« on: November 03, 2021, 09:11:03 AM »
sorry if being dim but on a lot of pain meds this morning so maybe not all with it but can anyone tell me if you have a knee replacement does that mean you no longer have meniscus?

I am bone on bone right knee, but pretty certain meniscus has torn (again) as it keeps locking extremely painfully on top of normal background level pain from arthritic knee.

last night was a new low, I went to sit on a chair, knee locked, couldn't straighten, couldn't dangle it, screamed as hurt so much then next thing I knew was passed out on floor with husband trying to wake me up with huge lump on back of head where hit tiled floor. apparently was not out long but the pain was completely off the scale when it locked so fainted.    thankfully hitting the floor unlocked knee but couldn't weight bear on it for an hour .  this morning head sore and knee double size and hurting bad and I frightened to move as I know from bitter experience once locked once it is likely to do it again in next couple of days if foolish enough to try to do anything with a bent knee.  I can part weight bear this morning with aid of stick although feels very unstable and hurts with each movement

so thus my question--- if I can persuade knee surgeon to replace bone on bone knee will that also solve my meniscus problems by getting rid of it?     really fed up.  thank you for reading.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 09:15:17 AM by Petal »

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 453
  • Neelie knee!
Re: does a knee replacement take away meniscus?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 10:25:55 AM »
Yes, as I understand it, a spacer replacing the meniscus is placed between the replacement parts which are cemented into the thigh and shin bone.

A TKR can potentially come with plenty of post op complications and pain so should always be a last resort. Discuss pros and cons with a couple of surgeons if considering especially if young (under 60).

Better to get examined and a scan to see what’s going on with the meniscus and get arthroscopy if causing locking with pain.  Arthritis also causes locking if there are bone spurs or loose bodies in joint.

Given the fall, you should contact Dr or go to A&E
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 10:28:03 AM by vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline Petal

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 10:39:03 AM »
Thank you. that is very helpful.  It makes me more inclined to try and push for a replacement. The idea it could rid me of this painful meniscus is very attractive right now

I had an mri of knee & a hip x ray last month and are due to see the knee surgeon on 23rd.  I had TTT surgery some years ago, and meniscus repair but was told back then arthritis is grade 3/4 bone on bone in places but they weren't keen back then on giving me a knee replacement as I was only early 40s. and also they were very leery that I am hypermobile and reckoned its dubious on hypermobile (my knee cap subluxates)   The treatment , and physio did help back then but now it is a lot worse and I am close on house bound. walking, standing or sitting with knee bent and the arthritis is very painful.  topped off by regular meniscus catching and locked knee for extra pain.   Indeed this morning more or less sofa bound as it is very painful, unstable and I am frightened to move

Offline Petal

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 06:48:16 PM »
saw the consultants team today and have now joined the list for a total knee replacement.  The arthritis is now in more parts of my knee then before and apparently the anatomy of my knee structure was bad conformation wise so it was inevitable would get bad arthritis in it.

The Dr gave a lot of warnings about how in my age (49) I will likely be unsatisfied with results & will need revision at some point but at the moment I am barely leaving my home as knee is so bad so its a gamble I am willing to take. Last night it locked while I was in bath and I was stuck there till it unlocked and it was difficult and painful to get out- I cannot carry on like this until in 60s. (which is age the favour for doing TKR)

estimated 9 - 12 month wait

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 68
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 05:32:10 PM »
The Dr gave a lot of warnings about how in my age (49) I will likely be unsatisfied with results & will need revision at some point but at the moment I am barely leaving my home as knee is so bad so its a gamble I am willing to take. Last night it locked while I was in bath and I was stuck there till it unlocked and it was difficult and painful to get out- I cannot carry on like this until in 60s. (which is age the favour for doing TKR)

Did the Dr give you any alternative options/treatments/surgeries? I understand that he/she has concerns about a TKR at your relatively young age, and gave your warnings, but what is the option if the knee is shot? And you cannot even leave your home/live a normal life? It sometimes feels like 'young' patients (<60) with severe cartilage damage/arthritis is a patient group that do not fit the script, have no good treatment alternatives, and is just a big annoyance for knee surgeons.
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline Petal

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 06:30:12 PM »
Hi Brandon123,  I have done all the alternatives now, had TTT surgery, meniscus repair, loads of physio, pain clinic, a failed attempt at nerve block, knee brace, doing all the at home stuff like ice, tens machine ,weight loss etc and there is nothing else can offer me.   

I'd have liked to have tried hyaluronic acid but not got the money- my Dad is in France & got that and its worked amazingly well for him.  to be honest though they have said on latest scan that the arthritis is in all compartments so doubt it would work..    On good news front the terrible hip pain I am now getting is not arthritis- the x-rays came up clear so that must be because I am walking badly because of knee.  Can't help but think the hip won't stay good unless I get knee sorted- it cannot be doing the joint any good so all more reason to get knee fixed.

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 68
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2021, 03:06:24 PM »
I have tried hyaluronic acid and it didn't help me at all. But for some people it works wonderful. Very individual outcomes it seems. I also have hip pain from all the limping. Several years ago the right hip, but now the left hip. During periods of my knee being better, the hip(s) improve as well. So very possible your hip pain will go away once your knee gets fixed. Good luck and keep us updated!
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment