Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Hydrotherapy - did it help improve your Range of Movement?  (Read 520 times)

Offline kace2006

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hydrotherapy - did it help improve your Range of Movement?
« on: October 29, 2021, 01:31:13 PM »
Hi Folks

Following your knee surgery, has anyone experienced benefits from hydrotherapy to help improve your range of movement at all?  I'm wondering whether to include hydro as part of my rehab following a ruptured patellar tendon.

Thanks

Offline Pippinp

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
Re: Hydrotherapy - did it help improve your Range of Movement?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 03:07:33 PM »
Hi. I had hydrotherapy after a reconstruction of my MCL and LCL for about 8 weeks and during that time got my flexion from about 30 degrees to 110 degrees. I also did physio so we that will have contributed too.

Offline silver_maple

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 15
  • Protect your knees
Re: Hydrotherapy - did it help improve your Range of Movement?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 04:01:15 PM »
I have found swimming in warm water to be beneficial. I don't have issues with Range of Motion per se, my problems are chondromalacia and crepitus. After a swim it's natural to feel better in the knees as the gentle movement in water spreads the synovial fluid around. I therefore do not "measure" improvement right after a swim. I wait until the next day after a night's sleep and relatively less movement for 12+ hours to see how things feel. I find crepitus is reduced 24-48 hours after a swim. Hard to say if there is any long term tissue rearrangement, at my age (51) the trend is a gradual downhill but at least I try to stave off a sharper decline by staying active in a joint-friendly way.

My city maintains a number of warm water pools, stating the following: "Some of our City pools are designated as Warm Pools. These pools have a minimum temperature of 88 degrees Fahrenheit to accommodate those with muscular, circulatory or neurological impairments requiring warmer temperatures."
2019 - Chondromalacia patella gr 1-2, both knees; early bilateral tibio-femoral arthritis; 5mm focal chondral lesion (LK); degenerate meniscus tear (RK)
2020 - PRP x3 in RK
2021/22 - PRP x4 in RK, PRP x2 in LK