Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Osteochondral allograft transfer (Mega oats) UK  (Read 338 times)

Offline Lee1977

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Osteochondral allograft transfer (Mega oats) UK
« on: September 29, 2021, 03:34:20 PM »
Hello all,

10 years following a MACI surgery on my right lateral femoral condyle I started to get very similar pain and swelling. After MRI scans it would appear that the MACi has failed. There is a 2.5cm x2.5cm area that has no cartilage and the bone has worn behind it.
Iím in the uk and my consultant has recommended a mega oats surgery to correct the issue. Although not many are performed here in the uk he has done a fair amount.
I was just wondering if anyone knew how long I may have to wait for the fresh allograft?, and if you have any advice prior to the surgery Iíd be very grateful!!

Thanks

Lee

Offline IMF73

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
Re: Osteochondral allograft transfer (Mega oats) UK
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 07:06:46 PM »
Hi
Sorry to hear this
Apologies I canít advice on the timescales etc as have no experience of it.
Iím curious though, were you active in the last 10 years since the surgery? Why do you think it failed? Wear and tear? Has the pain been gradual?

I had surgery 6 years ago where they used some kind dog stem cells. So far so good but interested in other experiences.
Hope the surgeon can sort it for you

Offline Lee1977

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 07:30:35 PM »
Hi, the pain was bad initially around 3 months ago and then levelled off and was just about tolerable. I was very active for the 10 years and feel lucky it lasted as long as it did. Hereís hoping yours lasts beyond 10 years.

Offline IMF73

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 02:52:26 PM »
Hi, the pain was bad initially around 3 months ago and then levelled off and was just about tolerable. I was very active for the 10 years and feel lucky it lasted as long as it did. Hereís hoping yours lasts beyond 10 years.

Ok, what is the surgeon planning? A similar op to before or as it was 10 years ago I assume procedures have a changed a lot since?
Yep, I too am very active and fingerss crossed mine lasts too

Offline Lee1977

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 10:39:01 AM »
He plans to carry out an osteochondral allograft transfer (mega OATS)
I have just received authorisation after much back and forth with my healthcare provider. I now have to wait until a suitable donor is found and that could well be months rather than weeks.
I hope you continue to do well with your recovery

Offline IMF73

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 10:52:39 AM »
Thanks & good luck with it

Offline bevboyz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2021, 04:46:40 PM »
Hi Lee,

I had osteochondral allograft in Sept 2020. Although I was listed only in January I got a call in September saying a donor had been found and was operated on 5 days later.
I have had previous osteochondritis dissicans since age 12 and had a fixation of a detached bone fragment in 2012 and just persisting symptoms with the cartilage shredded. Similar size of defect in medial femoral condyle.
You are probably aware that the recovery from this surgery is no joke. Even though I thought I would cope ok it was very very tough mentally. I would say I had swelling on mimimal activity for at least 8 months post op and a reasonable amount of pain on weight bearing which only settled at about 9 months.
I was in a brace and not allowed to bend for 2 weeks, then adding 30 degrees in hinged brace at 2 week intervals. I have more or less full flexion now.
My MRI at 12 months was reported as possible graft failure and I suspect as much given that I have had no change in my symptoms. I am better than I was previously in the recovery by miles but the recovery is long, extremely mentally tough and you have to be prepared that it may not work.
Any more questions would be happy to discuss.

edit: I am 34 now and had the allograft at age 32
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 06:37:00 PM by bevboyz »

support