Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 8 weeks PO and stuck at 80-- HELP  (Read 112 times)

Offline Simmair

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
8 weeks PO and stuck at 80-- HELP
« on: September 21, 2021, 11:33:21 AM »
Hey everyone,

I was hit by a car 9 weeks ago and right knee was severely dislocated...ACL, PCL, PLC, Meniscus damage/tear.  Left knee will require surgery for ACL PCL. Surgery was done on right knee first 4 weeks after injury.  However, because of PLC damage, I was not allowed to bend my knee until 4 weeks PO and not allowed to bend over 70 at 6 weeks PO.

Made 70 at 6 weeks PO but doctor said knee feels stiff and will need another surgery if my knee doesn't get to 120 in 4 more weeks.

At 7 week PO, I made it over 95 ROM. Now at 8 weeks, I am barely making 85 ROM.  I am either regressing or there are inconsistencies with the measurements from therapist.

I am not 100% happy with my therapist or my doctor, to be honest.  I think the wait for PLC healing stiffened my knee and is affecting my ROM. I also don't think my therapist was pushing me hard enough the first 6 weeks.

I'm in ALOT of pain in therapy now.  I use the a machine that forcefully flexes my knee and just started rocking on the bike yesterday. 

I don't really want to have to do another surgery on the right knee and I am super concerned. 

I am trying to do more exercises at home but I'm still not making progress. 

*What exercises have you all done that helped improve your ROM? How long do you hold these exercises and how many times a day?

*Anyone invest in a at home CPM machine?

*Tips on making it through painful PT? Pain meds?

*Any overall tips or words of encouragement?

Thank you

Offline Limping_Loafer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 4
Re: 8 weeks PO and stuck at 80-- HELP
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 12:16:23 PM »
When I had my first arthroscopy 11 years ago I was given no post-op advice so completely rested the knee for the first 3 days. Following on from that I was completely unable to bend the knee beyond 110 degrees. I had a few physios lean into the knee as though I was faking the restricted bend and I thought it was going to snap. In the end, I had to head back to the surgeon for a steroid injection into the cavity as scar tissue had built up which was preventing full ROM. After the injection, I quickly regained my ROM and was able to work on it to get it to where it was before surgery. Best of luck with it.