Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Rice Bodies??  (Read 495 times)

Offline Mabeldoodle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Rice Bodies??
« on: September 11, 2021, 01:56:52 PM »
I'm new to this forum and hoping to find some personal experiences of rice bodies in the knee, I have only found medical case studies when I do a search on Google. 
Since mid to late 2018 I've had worsening pain and issues with my knee, I can't kneel fully and can't extend flex my leg fully, knee is constantly slightly swollen and always aching with a few incidents of locking.  The first GP I saw dismissed it as general 'knee pain' and surmised that I had over exerted myself doing exercise - I hadn't, I've always exercised and kept fit for my job which was quite physical, although I've now changed to a desk based role.
I had an MRI in April and am waiting for an appointment with an Orthapedic consultant (Nhs). The MRI found multiple rice bodies within the joint and a small suprapatellar effusion.  I have no symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis or TB, I can recall 3 falls in 10 years where I have grazed my knee but had no other pain or lasting effects...
From what I've read the only treatment is to remove the rice bodies arthroscopically.  I'd just like to know if anyone has had this issue - rice bodies - and what the outcome was? I am now getting hip pain which I think is a result of my knee issue.  I've been referred to a physio for the hip pain but my GP hadn't ever heard of rice bodies so I'm not sure how much help the physio will be!

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 453
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Rice Bodies??
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 04:54:39 PM »
Do you mean loose bodies maybe? They could be little bits of articular cartilage or meniscus cartilage which has got a bit chewed up?
Indeed Rice Bodies is a synonym

https://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/knee-dictionary/loose-body

How old are you?
Do you have a copy of the full MRI report or referral letter to the consultant ?
Your symptoms do sound like they could be from degenerative disease/ arthritis or maybe a meniscus tear. (Stiffness, swelling, locking, loose bodies). In which case a tidy up and wash out might be a solution (not sure if these are still offered on the NHS although something should be done if the knee locks and physio doesn’t help, could be a long wait though especially with Covid backlog)

Good luck
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 05:00:56 PM by vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline Mabeldoodle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 07:11:20 PM »
Thank you for replying  :)
I have the MRI report in the referral letter, the report finds no meniscus tear identified it then refers to the bodies as 'multiple tiny foci within the joint which have appearances in keeping with rice bodies'.  It goes on to read 'Multiple rice bodies.  Differentials for this are wide including chronic synovitis, chronic tuberculous infection can also have this appearance, however this seems less likely given the other appearances'. 
I'd had private physio before the MRI but only marginal improvement and the physio thought it could be a meniscus tear because of the location of the pain and visible swelling. 
I really hope that when I eventually see a consultant they can make things a bit clearer as I have no idea if I should be getting tested for TB or RA, other inflammatory conditions.  :-\

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 08:07:31 PM »
It’s unlikely to be RA if it’s just one joint and a big one at that, especially if it’s not hot and swollen?
How old are you? RA generally affects women in middle age. You could ask your GP to do the tests if they think it’s possible. TB is pretty unusual and I think would affect the lungs (if you’re over a certain age from the UK you’ve probably been vaccinated?)
Meniscus tears can be missed on MRI, there are other tests that are a give away like joint line pain, the MRI is more to confirm a clinical diagnosis. That said If there is wear and tear in the knee, the meniscus is quite possibly frayed if not torn, the tissue starts to break down from about age 30.
Hopefully you’ll see the Consultant soon (I think they’re still trying to see people within 18 weeks max, varies by area of course). Private is always an option if insured or prepared to pay
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline Mabeldoodle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 09:59:30 PM »
I'm 40, not vaccinated for TB according to my mum, and no other symptoms of RA, just my brain runs riot waiting to have the appointment! Where I live I was told 18 weeks before I get a date for an appointment, they couldn't say how the wait would then be for the actual appointment, private is a bit out of my price range. 

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 10:23:35 PM »
Maybe stop googling :)

If you like to be active, maybe get into a gym, cycle, walk and pool for some swimming, walking, gentle stretches, squats. Carry on with the exercises the private physio presumably gave you. Use ice after exercising. Heat if the knee feels stiff :)

An appointment with a private OS will be around £200. See one who has an NHS practice as if you do need surgery, she or he can transfer you onto the NHS list so you may save a little time.

Whereabouts in the Uk are you?

Offline Mabeldoodle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 09:39:00 AM »
Thanks, I do exercise but am really limited with regards to cycling and can't run at all,so I tend to walk lots and do squats and lunges and other exercises the physio gave me.  Location wise I'm in Bristol, this week is 18 weeks since my referral  letter went in so I am hoping to hear something soon!

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 11:54:49 AM »
Squats and lunges can be tough on poorly knees. Did the physio diagnose weak quads hence recommending? Do you get pain while doing them or afterwards?

Offline Mabeldoodle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2021, 07:07:16 PM »
Sorry for bring slow with my reply, the physio thought it best to build up strength around my knee, which I did do to an extent but the exercises would sometimes hurt, sometimes not, usually if I got pain it would be as I dipped into the lunge with my knee facing the ground if you know what I mean.  I would also sometimes get pain at the back of my knee and a grinding feeling inside my knee.  One of the things with this is I get pain in different areas of the knee, and it's irregular as to what will set it off, there are a few definite things that I can't do or can't bear to do but sometimes I'll be walking normally and get a pinching feeling and can't straighten my leg!