Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Need brace recommendation  (Read 1574 times)

Offline suebob

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Need brace recommendation
« on: May 11, 2004, 09:46:11 AM »
Hi.  My tall, lanky, 12 year old daughter dislocated her left knee 3 months ago.  Her doctor has her wearing a Breg Lateral Stabilizer for another month, and after that during sports (she plays softball and basketball).  She's doing a variety of excercises and bike riding to strengthen the knee.  She has recently experienced some weakness in her right knee and he suggested she wear a brace on that knee as well during sports.   She's resisting another Breg Lateral Stabilizer - she says her mobility is too limited, and sometimes says the knee hole is uncomfortable.  Any ideas for a brace that might be appropriate for her "good" knee?

Thanks very much!

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Need brace recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 01:46:07 AM »
you should consult with a orthotist or physical therapist who deals with athletes. Perhaps contact a major university near you and see if you can find out who they use?
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline suebob

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 02:27:40 AM »
Great idea -  I hadn't thought of the university or high school option.  Thanks very much!

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 08:17:32 PM »
I'm assuming your daughter's dislocation involved the patellofemoral joint not the tib/femoral joint.  

In my opinion, I disagree with the OS's recommendation.  In athletes it is never a good idea to brace the knee in order to compensate for weak muscles.   The brace itself does not weaken muscles, however it does change the activation pattern which can lead to earlier fatique.  I would suggest that she works to agressively strengthen the muscles.  Wearing braces on both legs will also dramatically affect her gait, which could lead to other problems down the road.  

I would highly suggest that she starts an appropriote training program such as acceleration training or something similar.  The braces are not going to fix anything, this is going to be a continual problem unless she maintain a high level of muscular strenght and control.

Your OS should have recommended the appropriote brace, prehaps give his office a call and see who they normally use.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.