Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MCL Grade I Tear - Incredibly Slow Recovery  (Read 294 times)

Offline jacobitomayo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MCL Grade I Tear - Incredibly Slow Recovery
« on: August 27, 2021, 02:24:40 PM »
Hi there,

I injured my knee in a soccer game in 2019 and the MRI said it was a Grade I tear. Then around a year later, when it was almost fully healed, I was hiking and my foot got caught in a root and I re-injured it. I went back for another MRI only for the doctor to verify that I've sprained it and still classified it as a Grade I tear. It has now been one year since my re-injury and I am still feeling tenderness on the medial side of my knee, similar feeling to a bruise. It's functional for the most part, but swinging my leg across my body like a pendulum, with the instep of my foot in the direction that my leg is moving, causes irritation.

I have been patient for the past 12 months and it just doesn't seem typical. It does seem like it's healing, but at an incredibly slow rate so I am asking myself what now? I haven't seen any posts on here that said anything longer than 6 months so I am worried.

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 453
  • Neelie knee!
Re: MCL Grade I Tear - Incredibly Slow Recovery
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 05:52:30 PM »
Go back to the doctor, ask to have the MRI reviewed.
You could have bruised the bone (can take a very long time to recover), could be a meniscus injury, irritation to the cartilage.

Did you do a full course of rehab with a physio to ensure the muscles are all working as they should.
If not, see a physio for assessment if the Dr can’t see anything on examination or the scan.

If something is weak in your lower body, you could have issues. Could be glute, hip, all can affect the knee. Get a targeted rehab programme
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 05:59:01 PM by vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone