Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Quad muscle size following knee/femur fracture  (Read 490 times)

Offline G_a_z_

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Quad muscle size following knee/femur fracture
« on: August 16, 2021, 11:24:00 AM »
I fractured my knee, along with my femur (same leg) in 2007 in an RTC. I recovered well following a couple of operations. I began rehab and going to the gym soon after the accident and still enjoy training to this day. One thing I have noticed over the years, is that however hard I push it, my left quad will always be smaller than my right ("good" leg). I do get a pump, and there is clear muscle definition, but it's not quite the same. Obviously there is probably good reason for this, does anyone have this problem or know what the cause is? I am right handed/footed, so I guess there could always be an inherent weakness in my left leg, but there is no doubt my accident is also a cause. Any info would be appreciated.

Online vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 454
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Quad muscle size following knee/femur fracture
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 12:25:00 PM »
Does it impact your strength or function? If not, it’s likely not an issue. If it does, seeing a sports physio would probably be a good idea to get the muscles and firing sequence assessed and a tailored exercise programme sorted. Or if it just worries you, see the physio (if in U.K., you’ll need to go private).
Is the knee itself ok?

My left calf is about half the size of my right after several accidents and surgeries, I just need to work on it (but hard as the ankle is crocked too)!

Good luck  :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline kneegeek2020

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 09:30:12 PM »
Failure to achieve quad symmetry after surgery is EXTREMELY important.  Patients who achieve less than 90% quad symmetry (as opposed to the uninjured knee) have a 3x greater likelihood of re-injury.  Further- an inability to regain mass is associated with arthritic changes that occur w/in 1 year (1 year!!!!).  Lastly- AMI (quad atrophy) has been shown to effect even the injured knee- so even if symmetry is regained- both knees will be significantly weaker as opposed to the status before such injury.

Cryotherapy (of knee- not quad) before strength training has been found to be beneficial.  This is just one therapy but there are others such as fatiguing the hamstring that can help rebuilding the quad after significant injury or surgery.

Offline G_a_z_

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 03:16:48 PM »
Update: I finally went to a physio. Unfortunately, they didn't seem to think the quad was failing to fire at full capability due to AMI and instead pulled apart how I stand and walk. Apparently I stand with my feet pointing outward to some degree and this means certain muscles aren't firing properly. If I re-educate my brain to stand and walk correctly this will translate into muscle strength.
Although he is right to some extent I still believe AMI is the primary cause and without electrotherapy no amount of re-educating will work.
He also didn't even examine my quad and knee to visualise what I was talking about, I mean afterwards I found that unbelievable.
I am going to see a different physio.

support