Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: London (UK) based PFPS Rehab Center/ Physio??  (Read 1324 times)

Online vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 453
  • Neelie knee!
Re: London (UK) based PFPS Rehab Center/ Physio??
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2021, 01:20:31 PM »
What’s AMI?

This is a forum for laypeople rather than medics or scientists, so it would be helpful to adjust your post accordingly (explain in full any abbreviations and acronyms, things like this sentence ‘ Corticospinal reflexes translating acetylcholine NTs via neuronal transmission into the cerebral cortex which then sends Nts via alpha/beta transmission which blocks the quad…’
and so on)

« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 01:23:39 PM by vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline kneegeek2020

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2021, 01:53:13 PM »
AMI is quad atrophy. A condition that occurs to anyone who has a serious knee injury or surgery. 

Online vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 453
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2021, 03:38:10 PM »
Ah ok, I’ve actually been pretty lucky in that regard despite a number of surgeries. Calf rather wasted though!
What does AMI actually stand for?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline kneegeek2020

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2021, 09:49:13 AM »
Hey Vickster,
I remember talking to you in past and you mentioning no quad atrophy, you're lucky in that regard. 

AMI (arthrogenic muscle inhibition)
arthro-joint
genic-creation
ami-the decay of the quad originating from knee pain.  But it's actually the brain that becomes the problem. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 09:50:45 AM by kneegeek2020 »

Offline react2resist

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2021, 04:43:47 PM »
Hey Kneegeek,

Whats the difference between a TENS machine an E-stim?

Mark

Offline kneegeek2020

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2021, 07:48:06 AM »
Tens just messes w/ the nerve signals.  EMS (e-stim) triggers a muscle contraction.  Tens typically used w/ back pain.  If you've seen Rocky- EMS was used to help ivan drago get jacked.

Offline Limping_Loafer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2021, 03:13:32 PM »
Hi react2resist, just wanted to let you know I'm unable to reply to your pm as I haven't made the requisite number of posts yet. I think the most important thing for you to do is to find out what exactly is causing your pfps. In my case, it was chronic fat pad impingement but you may have a different issue. I've been to see Claire Robertson and she taped the knee and, although it didn't really help, I wouldn't discount seeing her for physio treatment. What happened is that 4 weeks after taping and 8 weeks after my initial injury I found Charles Willis Owen in Bournemouth. When I went to see him he told me straight away that it looked like I was dealing with fat pad impingement. An MRI then confirmed this. He then injected my knee (directly into the fat pad) with 80mg kenalog and the knee settled down over the next week or two and I was able to get back to my sport (ice skating). Over the next 18 months I had two further incidences of trauma to my knee and whilst few injections I had really helped, I've reached a point now where the fat pad needs to be trimmed and I'm scheduled for an arthroscopy with Mr Willis Owen in October. I've been unable to walk normally since June and Mr Willis Owen has recommended a physio in Wimbledon with whom his patients have had good success in the past. His name is Pat Gillham and he's at Pure Sports Med which is located at the David Lloyd Gym. I've seen him twice now and will see him again once more prior to surgery. He's got me using a compex machine to build up my quad muscles without putting strain on the knee joint. It's incredibly effective. I also work on my posterior chain with exercises at home. I'm glad I've got a physio in place prior to surgery and am hoping this will help me achieve a good clinical outcome.

support