Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Lateral release made by mistake: is there a way to fix it?  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 68
Re: Lateral release made by mistake: is there a way to fix it?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2021, 04:21:49 PM »

For the rest, I am collecting information on different doctors and then selecting those who could help me.

Yes, very good first step! After you have some new opinions, you evaluate the situation, and then decide what will be the next step.

As for the difficulty of living with a knee problem it is true, also because unfortunately the knee stops the whole body and in the end all health worsens.
I give an example. When I was operated on I could no longer walk, so I began to spend all day sitting with my legs on a support, but this led me to sublux my coccyx and this problem became chronic because there is no medical solution! I have seen many doctors also for this problem but there is no one who can solve it, just like the knee.
This meant an additional problem because the knee does not allow me to walk, then the coccyx creates pain when sitting and lying, so I use a pillow with the hole in the chair and in bed: this was also a gift of the knee surgery! Unfortunately I have to live with it.

Unfortunately very true that (especially long-term) knee problems can create all sorts of other aches, pains and health problems :( But usually these problems improve when the knee situation improves, so don't lose hope.
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline Iris123

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2021, 04:54:07 PM »
Thank you, writing here is therapeutic for me, because I can compare myself with people who have similar experiences.
The problem is that my knee suffers, swells, is medially unstable, produces bone edema.
In Italy I was told to resign myself, I contacted many doctors and the answer was the same: if you operate you will be worse! there is no way to reconstruct the ligament, if you do it you could end up with the whole patella on the outside, that is, external hyperpressure.
In any case, you do not find anyone who says they have already undergone this surgery in his career.
Now I read here on the forum about the possibility of reconstructing the ligament abroad and a world opens up to me: but will it really be like this or is it just business?
In Italy, medicine is a business, doctors often operate people for no real reason, just for money, as in my case, it doesn't matter if they ruin people and this is also true for the most popular professors!
Nobody can be trusted and this is really sad because medicine should be a sacred field where there is honesty and a true desire to help people.

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 68
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2021, 09:35:52 AM »
Now I read here on the forum about the possibility of reconstructing the ligament abroad and a world opens up to me: but will it really be like this or is it just business?
In Italy, medicine is a business, doctors often operate people for no real reason, just for money, as in my case, it doesn't matter if they ruin people and this is also true for the most popular professors!
Nobody can be trusted and this is really sad because medicine should be a sacred field where there is honesty and a true desire to help people.

I am not an expert, but at least I think ligaments can be reconstructed by patellofemoral experts around the world. But before you go outside Italy, you should probably exhaust all possibilities within the country. Have you heard of these Italian knee surgeons?

Dr. Vincenzo Salini
Dr. Daniele Tradati

Mentioned in this thread:

https://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=77976.0

and this:

https://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=78066.0

I have no experience of Italy's health system, but I you feel hesitant about it, of course you should try to get some opinions also from patellofemoral experts in other European countries.

Keep us updated on how everything develops!   
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 453
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2021, 10:55:41 AM »
One way of finding surgeons experienced in lateral release repairs is to search Pubmed etc for publications and see which surgeons were involved in the research and reporting :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline Iris123

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2021, 11:48:38 AM »

I am not an expert, but at least I think ligaments can be reconstructed by patellofemoral experts around the world. But before you go outside Italy, you should probably exhaust all possibilities within the country. Have you heard of these Italian knee surgeons?

Dr. Vincenzo Salini
Dr. Daniele Tradati

Mentioned in this thread:

https://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=77976.0

and this:

https://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=78066.0

I have no experience of Italy's health system, but I you feel hesitant about it, of course you should try to get some opinions also from patellofemoral experts in other European countries.

Keep us updated on how everything develops!   
Thanks for the effort in giving me advice, I really appreciate it!
I state that one of the Italian luminaries of the knee ruined me by subjecting me to an unnecessary and unauthorized operation .. but my lawyer will take care of this.

That said, as for the doctors you mentioned and then named in the thread linked by you, I know them.
As for the San Raffaele in Milan I contacted the director but he does not make reconstructions as far as I understand and the same can be said of another famous Milanese orthopedic institute such as Galeazzi where one of the primary told me he had never done such an operation and It is not recommended to attempt repair as I may develop external hyperpressure to correct medial instability. The same music at Gaetano Pini, another important hospital in Milan.
I also contacted a luminary in Verona, but same answer.
I see that there is someone who went to  Bologna .. but that was the biggest mistake of my life because there they ruined me forever.
Of course there was one who said he wanted to try to resuture my ligament, but he also told me that he had never tried the operation on anyone before ... in short, I would have been a guinea pig: it is obvious that he only wanted my money. Unfortunately in Italy medicine is a business, but I think it is the same all over the world.
I don't know if there are other options in Italy, at the moment I don't see them, but I continue my research.

Offline Iris123

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2021, 12:06:32 PM »
One way of finding surgeons experienced in lateral release repairs is to search Pubmed etc for publications and see which surgeons were involved in the research and reporting :)
Interesting, thanks for the advice!
Always very kind and cooperative!

Offline kneegeek2020

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2021, 07:35:09 PM »
Make a consult with Lars Blond of Denmark.  He is the king of fixing lateral release- you won't regret your consult w/ him.  The surgery is LPFL reconstruction and involves taking a strip of the IT band- rotating it- and re-attaching it to the lateral aspect of the patella.

Unfortunately- Lateral release is an extremely common unconsented surgical operation.  Same as medial plica removal- they are treated as vestigial structures of the knee (and wrongfully so) People have had the recon and recovered.

From there- it is likely you will be dealing with chronic AMI and an inability to recover your quadriceps.  I've battled this for years and now have quad symmetry. PM me if you want.

Offline Iris123

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2021, 02:35:24 PM »
Make a consult with Lars Blond of Denmark.  He is the king of fixing lateral release- you won't regret your consult w/ him.  The surgery is LPFL reconstruction and involves taking a strip of the IT band- rotating it- and re-attaching it to the lateral aspect of the patella.

Unfortunately- Lateral release is an extremely common unconsented surgical operation.  Same as medial plica removal- they are treated as vestigial structures of the knee (and wrongfully so) People have had the recon and recovered.

From there- it is likely you will be dealing with chronic AMI and an inability to recover your quadriceps.  I've battled this for years and now have quad symmetry. PM me if you want.
Why did you choose Europe? Haven't you found other surgeons in the USA where this kind of reconstruction is more common?
How long was your recovery after the LPFL reconstruction?
Did you continue to suffer from inflammation and swelling?

support