Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Four year Post TPF (Schatzker V) ORIF  (Read 373 times)

Offline Bella Gamba

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
Four year Post TPF (Schatzker V) ORIF
« on: June 24, 2021, 12:34:43 AM »

I just wanted to give a brief update of my recovery.  After a bit more than four years after my first surgery (and three years post metal implant and screw removal surgery), I am almost back to “normal”. 

We just came back from a hiking trip in the Grand Tetons and I was able to hike (pretty strenuous trails) over six miles (may not sound like a lot, but a great accomplishment for me).  Interestingly, my OS  assured me that I would never recover.  Each time I asked about potential recovery, the answer was always “I will not sugar coat it” and would not give me any hope.

As I said many times in other posts, we all eventually recover, some of us faster than others.  Be patient, take your time, do your PT exercises, and listen to your body and the professional advice, but do not overdo it. 

Bella

Offline MichaelF

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Four year Post TPF (Schatzker V) ORIF
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 01:30:52 AM »
Great news Bella. I reviewed some of your posts. My wife is 4.5 mo PO TPF and Meniscus repair. She has some bone density issues and surgeon had her start slow in recovery. She is 107 flexion, -1 extension and a little down trodden on her ROM progress. She did improve 7 degrees this month in flexion. I did see where after about 5 mo you had a big improvement following massage therapy.  Have you maintained ROM and did it continue to improve after 1 yr. Thanks
Michael

Offline Bella Gamba

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 04:22:58 PM »
Hi Michael,

Seems like PTs and OS put a lot of emphasis on ROM.  Perhaps because it is one of the few things that can be measured.  As I recall now, my recovery after the fracture ORIF was very slow.   This is because besides having to learn again about my leg functions (bending, walking, etc.) my bone was healing.   I could never reach the OS ROM number goal and my PT pushed to reach that number (and it was painful and stressful).  So the myofascial massage helped a lot to recover ROM.  But for me the most important milestone was to be able to walk!!  Later after my second surgery, things moved much quicker to the extent that I felt that going to PT was a waste of time.  I could do all the exercises at home and got very little feedback from PT.  Now I do a lot of walking and upper body (weight) strength training.  I really do not pay too much attention to ROM and my "bad" leg's ROM is a bit worse than my good leg, but still functional.

I also have low bone density, and have learned a lot about the chemistry of Vitamin K2, D3, and Calcium interaction.  There is a great book called "Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox: How a Little-Known Vitamin Could Save Your Life".  Not that I believe every thing written there but the addition of K2 vitamin to my diet (and eating 6-10 prunes daily) has helped me gain density in my bones.

I hope this helps and wish the best on your wife's recovery,

Bella

Offline MichaelF

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 12:49:37 AM »
Thanks Bella. I will look up the book. My wife has osteogensis imperfecta, a rare brittle bone disease. She has had like 20+ fractures. Do you mind me asking, was the second surgery you reference related to HWR or something else? Did you find HRW made a big difference?
My wife would prefer not to have another surgery.  Her weight bearing and walking is going slow. She is approaching 5 mo PO, but still uses a walker and just started with a cane. She just doesn't have quad and VMO muscle strength yet.  We head back from Florida to Minn in 3 weeks and will switch to a super great sports rehab group - that has PT, Chiropractors, and Massage Therapists. They work with the Pro sports teams, so we hope that will be good. My wife worked with them last yr for a cracked vertebra, and they did a super job, including specialized massage. Trying to figure out if her slow recovery on walking is related to her low ROM, and as she continues to improve and walk that ROM will hopefully increase. I try not to buy into there being only a 2-3 mo window to regain ROM. Anyhow thanks, and best of luck.

Offline Bella Gamba

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 04:06:08 AM »
Hi Michael,

107 flexion after five months is not bad, I think I was told that for walking all we need is to reach 90.  However, there is a lot of psychology going on when it comes to walking, I was initially scared to death of falling and took me a long time to get the courage.  It is really hard...  Something that helped me was to walk in a swimming pool (there is no danger of falling and the exercise strengthens the muscles).

I am assuming that HWR = hardware removal.  Yes, the second surgery was to remove the metal plate and screws (i could feel the screws under my skin and this was very uncomfortable).  I can relate to your wife's wishes, surgeries are not fun.  I was put under total anesthesia for the procedure.  However, recovery was much quicker than the first surgery.  I am very happy I had the metal removed.  However, there is no way to know how it would had been had I not gone this route.

I hope this helps!

Bella

Offline MichaelF

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 07:40:57 PM »
Thanks Bella. 107 ROM sounds ok, but my wife was doing pilates reformer which is on hold now, and is optimistic she can get back to that - realizing her ROM may not be above 125 until thanksgiving or later.  She added 7 degrees so far in June - she has only started this month of using a cane at PT, and she works hard to exaggerate her step with her walker to try and bend and stride with her TPF leg. Her flexion is -1 so hopefully no limp. I also want to think that as she strengthens her quad (and can walk more) and VMO muscle that will help add ROM.  From my understanding, 4.5 mo PO where she is is still relatively early in recovery, and still time to add ROM.  It sounds like you added 15-20+ degrees ROM after the first 4-5 mo PO, so some people recover slower I think.

Offline MichaelF

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 01:37:43 PM »
Wanted to report back that wife hit her 125 degree ROM Turkey day goal, she was at 133 degrees ROM and Thanksgiving is this week - for her TPF.  She is abut 9.5 mo PO. She is still using a cane for long walks, and minor limp, but things are slowly better. Her goal is 140 degrees ROM at 1 yr, walking without limp. She is doing about 4000 steps a day now. Those with TPF, hang in there! My wife is still doing PT with a sports therapist nd that is helping.

support