Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Advice please - Complete quadriceps tendon rupture  (Read 360 times)

Offline glosbloke

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Advice please - Complete quadriceps tendon rupture
« on: March 18, 2022, 11:50:49 PM »
Hello everyone,
Iím looking for some advice please.
Background - Iím mid 40ís. End of 2019 I had a fall causing a complete rupture of my quadriceps tendon and fracture to proximal pole of my patella. Had surgery next day and followed all instructions regarding physio, rest, leg brace etc etc. Flexion was difficult and worsened to the point where I had an almost fixed straight leg. Had an MUA at 5 months post injury and very extensive further physio including CPM.
Iíve ended up with about 70 degree flexion and that is it. I have steroid injections about every 4 months but realistically donít help much. I now have OA and fibrosis to the knee.
Itís been quite limiting as I was quite  active before the injury. I was also medically retired from the job I loved. Iíve read about people getting much better outcomes than I have had and sometimes wonder if I did something wrong during the recovery.
I need to speak to my GP about analgesia as Iím in constant discomfort. Paracetamol and Ibuprofen donít touch it and although Naproxen was OK I canít take it long term due to other health problems.
Anyone have any advice regarding what works for them and Iíd be interested to hear from anyone else who has had a similar injury.

Thanks

Offline diamacleod

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Advice please - Complete quadriceps tendon rupture
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 01:54:01 AM »
Maybe you've seen that there is an extensive (though not very current) thread on this, with a wide variety of experiences reported.
https://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33177.0
One contributor there mentions that patellar tendon adhesions were a treatable factor in his limited ROM recovery:
https://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?action=profile;u=53256;area=showposts;start=0