Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Has anyone ever fully recovered from chronic PFPS  (Read 1632 times)

Offline Iris123

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Has anyone ever fully recovered from chronic PFPS
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2021, 01:14:25 PM »
I cringe every time I read about a knee surgeon who cut the wrong thing.  Bloody cowboys playing God!

Yes, the synovium holds in the synovial fluid, but I don't know anything about producing excess fluid.  Mine certainly did not seem to.  My knee never swelled.

Your problem sounds like it stems from misalignment caused by a faulty surgery.  If it was me, I'd be seeking legal advice for compensation.

I had 3x prp and it did not help at all.

Everything I've read about patella debridement makes me think it is best avoided.  If a misaligned kneecap due to a faulty surgery is your problem, getting that sorted first seems to be the best idea?
As for the surgical error I was the victim of, I started a criminal case against the surgeon. In my case there are several charges: violation of the principle of self-determination, physical injuries and forgery in public deed!
Yes, there is also the accusation of forgery in public deed, because the surgeon not only made the mistake but also hid it in the medical record !!
The surgeon cut my ligament and kept it hidden from me !! I only discovered it with the next MRI confirmed by two other subsequent MRI scans!
In Italy you can choose to sue the doctor in civil or criminal matters, I have chosen the criminal one !!

In any case, even my knee before the surgery had never swollen, now to swell it is enough to stand just for a little at home..

Yes the way should be the reconstruction of the ligament, but unfortunately the reconstruction of the external alar ligament is very rare, in fact in Italy I have heard many orthopedists and no one has ever performed it.
Add to this that the Italian doctors consulted  said that reconstructing the ligament could give bad results!

It is not easy to make a decision, now I am looking for someone abroad, the problem is that I am afraid of ending up again in the hands of someone interested only in money and not in helping me.

Offline react2resist

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2021, 03:06:27 PM »

What you write is very interesting.

I think I developed synovitis after surgery, which was done to me by mistake The surgeon accidentally cut the external alar ligament instead of the tibial ileus band  and since then the knee is unstable and the patella swings inward.
As far as I know the synovium is used to regulate the synovial fluid in the joint, so if there is a problem the fluid is produced in excess, I understand it because the excess fluid is located right on the inside of my knee where the patella slams: the body is trying to contain the friction with liquid.

I agree with you that it is better to avoid going back to the operating room as much as possible, but in my case I think I have no other choice, at least I think I cannot stick with this misalignment as it prevents me from walk. I use tape to pull the kneecap outwards, this helps a little but is not enough.
Who knows how long it will take to regain homeostasis after surgery and maybe I'll never get it, but I don't think I have any other choice.

As for cartilage, I did not know that autologous regeneration is possible, I know of techniques such as prp or lipogems, but in the end they are more expensive palliatives than hyaluronic acid.

a question: for the cartilage behind the patella is a debriment advisable? or is it worse?

I cringe every time I read about a knee surgeon who cut the wrong thing.  Bloody cowboys playing God!

Yes, the synovium holds in the synovial fluid, but I don't know anything about producing excess fluid.  Mine certainly did not seem to.  My knee never swelled.

Your problem sounds like it stems from misalignment caused by a faulty surgery.  If it was me, I'd be seeking legal advice for compensation.

Everything I've read about patella debridement makes me think it is best avoided.  If a misaligned kneecap due to a faulty surgery is your problem, getting that sorted first seems to be the best idea?

I started Celebrex earlier this week, taking it first thing in the morning. It's pretty amazing how it knocks out the pain for a bit, but it does seem to creep back in the afternoons. It does give me a few hours of relatively pain free movement.

Suspectdevice, did you take Celebrex when the pain started coming on? Or did you just take it every morning?

Online vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 454
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2021, 05:02:30 PM »
Celebrex can be taken twice daily too (100mg). You do have omeprazole or similar alongside to protect your stomach?
It builds up in system so you may only get adequate effect from once a day in a few weeks and as the inflammation subsides. Itís not effective in an hour or less like an opioid
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffaís fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline react2resist

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2021, 06:53:06 PM »
Celebrex can be taken twice daily too (100mg). You do have omeprazole or similar alongside to protect your stomach?
It builds up in system so you may only get adequate effect from once a day in a few weeks and as the inflammation subsides. Itís not effective in an hour or less like an opioid

Thanks for the info. Annoyingly I only have 200mg capsules. So itís really one hit a day. I think I may start taking it slightly later in the day. To get that relief when Iím walking around more. And yes I do have PPIís to protect my stomach!

Online vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 454
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2021, 07:04:03 PM »
Ask the GP to prescribe you 100s instead.
Donít overdo it until the knee has settled and you no longer need to the meds or Youíll struggle to get the inflammation under control
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffaís fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline SuspectDevice

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 82
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2021, 12:39:18 AM »

What you write is very interesting.

I think I developed synovitis after surgery, which was done to me by mistake The surgeon accidentally cut the external alar ligament instead of the tibial ileus band  and since then the knee is unstable and the patella swings inward.
As far as I know the synovium is used to regulate the synovial fluid in the joint, so if there is a problem the fluid is produced in excess, I understand it because the excess fluid is located right on the inside of my knee where the patella slams: the body is trying to contain the friction with liquid.

I agree with you that it is better to avoid going back to the operating room as much as possible, but in my case I think I have no other choice, at least I think I cannot stick with this misalignment as it prevents me from walk. I use tape to pull the kneecap outwards, this helps a little but is not enough.
Who knows how long it will take to regain homeostasis after surgery and maybe I'll never get it, but I don't think I have any other choice.

As for cartilage, I did not know that autologous regeneration is possible, I know of techniques such as prp or lipogems, but in the end they are more expensive palliatives than hyaluronic acid.

a question: for the cartilage behind the patella is a debriment advisable? or is it worse?

I started Celebrex earlier this week, taking it first thing in the morning. It's pretty amazing how it knocks out the pain for a bit, but it does seem to creep back in the afternoons. It does give me a few hours of relatively pain free movement.

Suspectdevice, did you take Celebrex when the pain started coming on? Or did you just take it every morning?

I took it every morning.

My pain was always there to a greater or lesser extent.  Betters in bed at night, but as soon as I got up and started moving, bang!
L Medial menisectomy 2012
PFPS both knees 2012-2017
Pre-CRPS diagnosed 2014 (I think this was crap)
2017 - 90+% cured via Dr Dye's research
2018 - MTB crash, busted collarbone & ribs - easy compared to knees!
2021 - ride 3x/week, swim 2x/week, gym 2x/week, short runs 2x/week, back to short races