Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Any tips for getting off crutches?  (Read 65 times)

Offline HarrietK

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Any tips for getting off crutches?
« on: May 31, 2021, 01:15:04 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am currently two months out from a knee dislocation whilst playing tennis. I started physiotherapy three weeks ago as it took a long time for the swelling to go down. I am still using two crutches to get around the house, and still extremely nervous about going up and downstairs.

I am trying to transition to using one crutch for short distances but I am really struggling to feel confident. My knee still feels unstable, and there is some pain and stiffness.  A lot of it I think is in my head - I just don't believe that my knee can hold my weight!

Has anyone else dealt with this - and were there any tips and tricks you used to get off crutches? As a bit of context this is my seventh dislocation but the first one in many years that went out and stayed out. It was out of place for around three hours whilst I waited for the ambulance and I think that's why I am so traumatised and nervous about my knee.

Any help and advice very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Harriet

Offline A_sure_sky

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Any tips for getting off crutches?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 12:01:21 AM »
I would definitely check with your doctor.  That is a long time to be on crutches.  After my knee dislocations I was in weight-bearing, straight-leg brace for several weeks.  I don't think I used the crutches for more than a week at most. Good luck!

Offline Petal

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 6
Re: Any tips for getting off crutches?
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 10:25:23 PM »
I agree talk to your doctor but another couple of things.. can you be referred for physio?  They really are the experts in getting the rehab right.  Other thing- have you been checked for hypermobility?  repeated dislocations can be a sign of that.

support